Your first post on these forums

Man of Honour
After the most recent nuke in 2002 it took me about a week to re-register because it kept rejecting my email address, I think it was some sort of restriction to stop people using throwaway email addresses (i.e. those not tied to an ISP or company etc) but my primary email address domain wasn't allowed for that reason. In the end I was able to register using a secondary email provided by my ISP I think. Probably seems a crazy restriction now as most people use portable email accounts like gmail/hotmail/whatever these days, I was just an early adopter.

Don't know what the first post I made was but I do remember posting a lot in Sports Arena in the early days (before Football was moved to a subforum). I think in a *really* old version of the forums where it had a different colour scheme I posted to enquire about a Celeron II processor, in the end I didn't buy it and ended up with a P3-650E @ 866 purchased from here in summer 2000.

The earliest post that is still accessible is this from the SA Archive in 2002:

HangTime said:
Well, Henry is probably one of the top10 players in the world in his position, and vieira almost certainly one of the top3 in his, so ANY team would look worse without them (even the talent-swamped Real Madrid are keen to sign vieira). Just because a team would be worse without them, doesn't mean they are average without them though.

If you think Seaman, Lauren, Campbell, Keown, Cole, Pires, Parlour, Gilberto, Ljungberg, Bergkamp and Wiltord is an average team, with Shabaan, Cygan, Luzhny, Van Bronckhorst, Edu, Kanu and Jeffers on the bench, then the premiership must be one hell of a competitive league. Sure theres 4 or 5 teams who could give them a good run for their money but they would still finish in the top6 IMHO, which ain't average.

Think back to what happened when Man utd offloaded Kanchelskis, Ince and Hughes; the infamous "you can't win anything with kids" comments from Alan Hansen. Taking a couple of good players out of a brilliant team doesn't suddenly make them average. Heck, Arsenal were playing their "unbeatable" football at the start of the season when their two most creative midfielders (pires and ljungberg) were both injured.

Besides anyone who saw the end of last season closely would have seen the impact bergkamps return to the first team and brilliant understanding with ljungberg had to the title chase, in the abscence of the footballer of the year Pires too I might add. Players like Ray Parlour rarely grab the headlines these days cos they aren't playing every week, but could easily come up with the goods if required (FA cup final anyone?).

Caporegime
I bought from ocuk in 2000 and had an account on the forums before 2002 I think but as said things changed a lot back then. I remember an AMD chip with a circuit on top, you drew across this circuit with a 2B pencil and it unlocked the chip and allowed greater overclocking. In that package also was cheap as chips 10 gram aluminium heatsink a bit bigger then my thumb with a 40mm fan on top
Something I really wanted or saw listed in the shop was a case with like 8 fans on it and each one was self controlled in its speed to keep the case in that area below a certain temp, it was set with a thermistor resistor. I'm not sure I've ever seen or managed to do that perfectly.

Anyway I cant see 2004 forum posts for this account so we'll never know but I would have registered on the forum to ask about the shop originally.

:)

Caporegime
Doubtful, if I were to guess. There are Rotty and Feek's slightly unusual circumstances (Don and Com, and in from the get-go if I understand correctly) and chris_r talking about how frequent the posting was pre-nuke but he has posted 3 thousand times in 17 years which by today's standards would be a non-interested party. I think there's a mix of "I posted literally thousands of posts pre-nuke" where that is sometimes true and sometimes coloured by fond memories, and I knew it would come up which I find so interesting.

Loving the chat and memory lane walks though, bloody good work gang.
I'm not talking about the full nuke.

I'm talking about al the really old threads that got pruned to clean up the forums database.
I was like 70,000 posts or more at one point

Soldato
My first post - March 2004

Spew-Tec

Just to have another moan about Q-Tec.....

Bought a Q-Tec 400W for my new system (was in a hurry, wanted something cheap, etc, etc) and was suffering random shutdowns from day one. Have now send it back and got my hands on an Antec 350W smartpower instead. No more shutdowns and all my voltages are right on the nose.

So, yes, Q-Tec really ARE that bad!

If only I had read these boards more before I bought :rolleyes:

LOL Q-Tec!

Soldato
Interesting find for two reasons;
* It doesn't find my very first. Assuming that it's because I changed my nickname from "Mr Ripley" (or something to that effect) within a year of creating the account
* The oldest one I can find, was clearly not posted by me at the time. @krooton was my housemate at the time, and a budding DJ... I knew nothing of trance back then, still to this day don't know a fair few of those songs ...so he must be the one who posted from my computer (i also never used the term, t00t)

IY2SYEf.png

Soldato
Posted 05/05/2012

Hi guys,

I've been playing around with overclocking my graphics cards over the last few weeks.

I've been using Sapphire's triXX program. Reason being, after extensive research seems my particular make of graphics cards have locked votlage controls, even after you put the special phrase into the MSI afterburner config and disable ULPS. MSI afterburner, although it would let me put the clocks up to 1200mhz wouldn't let me change the voltage at all.

I'm also pretty sure mine are laser cut and won't unlock to 6970's, and tbh I'm not interested in trying this anyway for the time being.

Now TriXX will let me up the voltage, but only to 1.18v.

I can get it to bench 3dmark11 at 900/1360 I believe. Any faster and it will lock up.

Now in games on stock volts BF3/MS Flight were crashing all the time at 900/1350, after upping the volts to 1.18v with +20% power it run MS Flight last night for an hour no problems, but after playing Shift 2 Unleashed for about 10-15 minutes I got a BSOD.

I have dropped the clocks down a touch this morning to 890/1350 and will do more testing over the weekend.

So firstly, I am assuming my crashes are due to the lack of voltage at those clock speeds? - I'm 100% stable at stock clock speeds/also was stable at 860/1325 stock volts after many hours of BF3. I cant push the memory clock really any higher then 1350 or I get the off centre split screen thingy some people have reported.

Secondly, (and I appreciate it varies per card really) to save me possibly weeks of trail and error tweaking, anyone got some good stable clock speeds with 6950's on TriXX? Like would I be better off dropping the memory clock right off and upping core/or visa versa rather then trying to slowly adjust both?

Also temps wise, absolute max I have ever seen on all tested speeds/voltages was 73c.

Didn't get a single reply :(

Soldato
"I don't get any stray yellow pixels. My 8800gtx crashes when it gets to about 85 degrees, but after i bought a new cooler it idles at around 55 (the original cooler was much hotter, even with fan on 100%)"
Hah, oh yeah back in the day that 8800GTX was da bomb. Forgot about it overheating though, that was a pain.

Second post was about me doing GCSE maths :p. Ah, takes me back :cool:

Caporegime
Interesting find for two reasons;
* It doesn't find my very first. Assuming that it's because I changed my nickname from "Mr Ripley" (or something to that effect) within a year of creating the account
* The oldest one I can find, was clearly not posted by me at the time. @krooton was my housemate at the time, and a budding DJ... I knew nothing of trance back then, still to this day don't know a fair few of those songs ...so he must be the one who posted from my computer (i also never used the term, t00t)

Haha, yep that was definitely me, t00t was a silly term from another clubbing forum I was on at the time :D

My first stuff clearly got purged, 2005 is as far back as I can see

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...performance-enthusiast.17394559/#post-4558339

Last edited:
Soldato
I was also pre nuke.

I came to OcUK after their arch enemy The Overclocking Store (OCS) went bust and so we all lost the OCS forums. OcUK welcomed OCS members should we wish to move across to a new home which all seemed very strange and alien at the time.

I wonder how many of us OCS lot are still here?

Back
Top Bottom