****The Official Gravel Bike Gallery Thread****

Soldato
Some great machines in here. How are people finding gravel bikes for on road speed, compared to a regular road bike (obviously massively dependent on tyre choice, so interested in average speeds for particular tyres). Seems to be if there's one bike that can do it all, these are it.
Mine is a glorified road bike anyway, it has a shorter more road geometry (compared to the generally longer CX/gravel), road 'gearing' (currently 50/34 but had 52/36 and 53/39 on there) and with guards the clearance restricts me more to road type slicks than anything off-road-y. Currently running 32mm (tubeless).

I find mine fast, but I don't have an 'equal' road bike to compare it to (my other bike is an alu Giant Defy running 105). The Diverge is probably a little more flexible a frame than a stiff race frame so probably gives up some when sprinting/out the saddle, it isn't really a modern aero machine (although my rims are quite deep, any benefit is wiped out by them being wider), it's carrying a little more weight but I've offset much of that with my upgrades and at around 10kg with wide tyres and metal guards it isn't heavy. Equally the comfort of beings able to ride it how I want over whatever road-surfaces I find probably keeps my overall speeds higher than they would be on super skinny 23mm's. Basically it's a tough one to call without comparable bikes to ride. And my Diverge is a little bit too much of a 'do it all' machine for me to have another similar, but just slightly more road orientated frame like a Tarmac/Roubaix/Defy. A more gravel orientated machine there may be a (barely) noticable difference to those...

Is not slow! :cool: Also good at hills and even exploring across fields.

Man of Honour
That Santa Cruz is beautiful!

Haven't been on a bike since my CAADX was stolen in 2016, but I've been taking advantage of the lockdown and the nice weather and taking my month old Topstone out for a spin.

SEWiqUh.jpg
dpy4XTP.jpg

Caporegime
been looking at a gravel bike and one thing I can't decide on is single or twin front crank. Any recommendations?

I think it depends what your using it for. If I was all out gravel, I'd probably go 1x, as I use mine as a 'do it all' I went 2x. I do plan on using it for the NC500 though.

dod

dod

Soldato
I think it depends what your using it for. If I was all out gravel, I'd probably go 1x, as I use mine as a 'do it all' I went 2x. I do plan on using it for the NC500 though.
that's a good point, idea is to use it as a winter commuter as well :)

dod

dod

Soldato
No probs at all, glad it helped :D

Got a selection or budget in mind?
Not finalised but probably up to £2k or so if new, less obviously if I can pick up a used or old stock :) I like the cannondale topstone a lot, probably the 105 spec, GT Grade and Giant Revolt are possibles too. Holdsworth Mystique and Ribble CGR look good, customisable paint job appeals, but neither in stock at then moment.

Soldato
OP
Nice budget and yes the Topstone is a cracking bike I know three or four people with them and they all love them.

I did look at the Topstone and Grail and plumped for the Grail. I eventually canceled the order after numerous delays and shocking CS by Canyon.

Must have been fate as the day I cancelled I saw the new Stigmata and despite it being way over what i was looking to pay the man maths soon convinced me it was the one to go for :D

Let us know how you get on

Soldato
OP
I actually ordered one but got sick of the constant delays and **** poor CS from Canyon so cancelled.and went with the Stigmata instead

So glad I dod, love it and in hindsight think the floating bars may be a bit of a.gimik

Caporegime
I actually ordered one but got sick of the constant delays and **** poor CS from Canyon so cancelled.and went with the Stigmata instead

So glad I dod, love it and in hindsight think the floating bars may be a bit of a.gimik

Blasphemy! The hoover bars are a beautiful sight! :p

Back
Top Bottom