Road Cycling

Soldato
Anyone noticed accelerated progress since they've been able to train more? Lost over 4kg since Jan.

Definitely. I had a training camp in Mallorca that finished literally the same day that Spain went into total lockdown, then I've been doing TrainerRoad 3x per week with an outside ride 1x per week. Usually I walk 3 miles each way to work and back, but working from home means my legs are totally fresh for cycling. I'm smashing PRs on Strava every time I go outside right now. Looking forward to another FTP test in 3 weeks time!

Also lost 1.5kg!

Soldato
Definitely the fittest I’ve been and basically not drinking at the moment which is helping keep the focus. We’ve made a pretty significant dent in a 16kg bag of flour over the last few weeks so not losing any weight, not that I wanted to. :D

Soldato
Okay, what would you do guys? I have this Cycle2Work voucher I have won for £2750 (with £275 for accessories) but it's actually pretty crappy timing as I bought the Canyon already and even replaced a wheel, then got the voucher...

So, my options as I see them-

1) Buy a third bike. I recently sold my 'backup road bike', the Felt, so I currently have the Canyon (main road bike) and the Boardman Hybrid (handy maybe for commutes or any off road I want to try). I don't really think I would have a need for a third though? Maybe an electric bike for transport more than fitness?

2) Buy a bike and sell it. I would probably end up with £2k cash, not a bad option. Buyer would not have any warranty though as I understand they can't be transferred.

3) Sell the Cycle2Work code. I don't know how... legal/ethical/against T&C's this might be, so whilst it would be the cleanest option for the buyer as I guess he would have the warranty, not sure I like the idea.

4) Buy a nice trainer like a Wahoo Kickr or Stages Smart Bike. I don't particularly enjoy riding indoors, but then maybe it's because I'm on a cheap old bike, on a cheap trainer? (Annoyingly those are both now showing as out of stock anyway :( )

5) Keep it, ready for in case I might need it in the future. (I don't know if there's an expiry or anything? It doesn't look like it...)

I know it's a nice problem to have, but I really can't decide what to do with it?!

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

Soldato
If it was me, I'd buy a pimped out (by which I mean front and rear racks) Van Moof S3 as a practical everyday e-bike and spend the rest on a KICKR Core (although best of luck actually getting one!)

Or I'd spaff it all on a mountain bike

Soldato
Anyone noticed accelerated progress since they've been able to train more? Lost over 4kg since Jan.

Not much more than usual, been riding a bit more on feel than normal and definitely just been riding a bit more with no expected goal, although legs felt good this evening smashing round which was quite nice, just nothing for them to race for atm unfortunately!

Soldato
When tubeless sealant 'goes off' does it just not seal? I thought it just went lumpy or something?

Had a hole which should've sealed this evening. Nothing more than a thorn hole so should've sealed. Wheel was a warranty replacement and originally I couldnt get the tape to seal and kept getting leaks around the valve hole, so I got LBS to tape and seal it for me. So this evening I pull out my co2 and figure what the hell I'll just try it. Seemed to seal the hole but then as pressure increased I got air coming out around the valve hole. I pulled out my emergency tube, pumped a bit of air into it to check it and the valve core unscrewed when taking the pump off. Screwed it back in with pliers. Fitted tube (eventually!) and pumped it up. Got some air leaking from pump/core and went to remove my pump (was going to screw the core in tighter) and the core broke/got stuck in the pump head. Stuck then at the side of the road had to call for a lift home (first time in years!).

Good ride until then, 17 miles into smashing a friend's loop to see if it can be done in an hour. At 40 minutes with most of the return downhill, should be possible. Legs are firing so FTP test/10 mile TT test kinda time.

Last edited:
Soldato
When tubeless sealant 'goes off' does it just not seal? I thought it just went lumpy or something?

I had this on 9 month old sealant, 1 decent and 2 punctures in the front tyre which wouldn't seal. Quickly pushed in 2 tyre plugs and was back in my way :)

First and only time I've used them but I wouldn't leave the house without now.

Last edited:
Soldato
pumped a bit of air into it to check it and the valve core unscrewed when taking the pump off

I had this happen, find me getting flamed earlier in this thread for it and getting on a bus for a short journey! I realised later, the part of the pump that connects onto the valve slides back and forth a little. If you slide it, putting pressure into the core, from the pump 'tube' then it pushes the core as you unscrew the tube, if that makes sense? You lose a little air as it's pressing the core in, but at least doesn't remove the core with the pump tube.

Soldato
Huge progress in my cycling as I've been doing so much of it. Far more intensity and prolonged efforts as it's all solo, fun loops in the sun. Not many easy miles as that's generally not how I ride, but then again having more recovery (no junk miles commuting) my weekly mileage is probably only slightly up without the longer group/club/social rides on the weekends. But intensity and fitness will have taken a massive leap than in the last few years. I don't really have the data to back it up and I'm still carrying 3-4kg more than I should be (still 78kg) but I *feel* much stronger. Will do a long overdue FTP test on Zwift when the weather turns a little and I can ride Zwift a few sessions before, but I'm expecting my FTP to be somewhere around 270W where it was last that around 4 years ago (up from 250W last autumn & this winter).

I'm certainly riding faster than usual, 22-23mph on general places I would've usually been doing 19-20mph, has pushed me towards riding more A road fast loops than my usual exploring and hill challenges. So I really don't feel I've got my climbing legs I would usually have in the summer (when I'd be 75/76kg).

Okay, what would you do guys?
As I said before - great outcome and it's awesome to have a dilemma like this! :D

Can you spend part of it? Upgrade some stuff like your helmet/clothing/anything else you need, then save the remainder for the 'backup' idea? Spend the accessories one and 'save' the other? Maybe see if you can get them as 2 different vouchers if unable to spend part of it.

ould check and confirm about any expiry as I think generally C2W schemes are only valid for 12 months, but that might be the way they're claimed by an employer and as this is a prize it might be different terms.

If it was me, I'd buy a pimped out (by which I mean front and rear racks) Van Moof S3 as a practical everyday e-bike
Van Moof's really that good? Seem to recall some pretty bad feedback from Ray @ DCR and some comments which made me think he was underwhelmed by the features and build of the thing.

Good ride until then, 17 miles into smashing a friend's loop to see if it can be done in an hour. At 40 minutes with most of the return downhill, should be possible.
My other recent times from the point I flatted are under 20 minutes. So totally an under 60 min loop with an effort like last nights. Headwind for the slog out (wind from North-East) meant I was pushing on more than I realised, some good strong numbers from me there considering my FTP is currently set around 250W and I've done very little structured riding around sweetspot - just lots of good solid tempo with plenty of threshold efforts up climbs.

I had this on 9 month old sealant, 1 decent and 2 punctures in the front tyre which wouldn't seal. Quickly pushed in 2 tyre plugs and was back in my way :)

First and only time I've used them but I wouldn't leave the house without now.
Yeah really need to get some after that fiasco last night. Which are you using and where from? Just wondering if the cheap and cheerful are just as good as the more expensive as all they are is bits of rubber...

The sealant which the LBS fitted (and I got all over me yesterday) didn't seem like anywhere near the amount I would expect and had got out when swapping my tyre over before. It also felt more watery and didn't leave as much of a rubbery residue on my hands as the Stans I've used myself... Less gooey. It was fitted in September so around the same age as yours.

My front has the Stans sealant as when I went tubeless in November 2018! I've never flatted it, have pulled 5-6 big thorns out of it and the sealant has sealed it every time... Basically it's probably long overdue changing!

Can I just put more sealant in it, or do have have to clean up all the old out of it first? I had a 'mare' of a job removing the rubber bogies off the rear tyre when I had to replace the wheel... Don't want to do that again unless I really have to. Tyres have done 6000 miles and looking quite worn in places. Still quite a way from the wear indicators but the centre tread is very cracked.

I had this happen, find me getting flamed earlier in this thread for it and getting on a bus for a short journey! I realised later, the part of the pump that connects onto the valve slides back and forth a little. If you slide it, putting pressure into the core, from the pump 'tube' then it pushes the core as you unscrew the tube, if that makes sense? You lose a little air as it's pressing the core in, but at least doesn't remove the core with the pump tube.
Haha I remember! ;)

My pump tube is different, no movement in it it just all screws. Also think this is the first innertube I've really had a valve core out of, I don't recall the cheap tubes I've used previously ever doing it! ;)

Soldato
That sinking sensation when you're taking a picture of your saddle bag contents ( @Lethal` ) and realise you lost your valve core tool last night... Probably at the roadside! :(

Found the problem, the valve core has broken in half, the top threaded bit with the valve end bit is inside my pump head and I can't get it out. It's obviously threaded in there and then broken off!

I've stuck a self gluing tube patch on the inside of my tyre. Going to run it with a tube a little while to see how it behaves. Probably until a weekend the weather is poor and I'm bored enough to convert back to tubeless... Have a feeling I'm going to need to retape the rim as some of the rim tape looks like it's moved as the tyre is so tight to get on/off. Will buy some wider tape for it.

Now the prospect of riding a suspect wheel, tubed and having no portable pump has me horrified. Must have an old one somewhere...!

Soldato
So I caved and bought a hanger alignment gauge.

After I redid my bars, all new cables it seemed perfect first ride. Second ride not so much, then Sunday had a few misshifts where I had to shift down and then back up to get what I wanted.

Wow, I was surprised by how far out the hanger was, mostly for/aft rather than up/down (which would be more noticeable).

Park say about 4mm variation (comparing opposite sides of the wheel) is what you should aim to, I felt like I could get it a bit better, maybe about 2.5mm but didn’t want to mess too much as would fatigue the hanger and there is some degree of play in the tool. If I was a shop mechanic, I’d probably buy the Abbey Tools one as I do like my tools, but at 3 times the cost of the Park one, I’ll stick with this!

It was that far out I had to adjust my limit screws after refitting the RD then reindex the shifting! I’ll look to have a ride tomorrow hoping for an early finish. Been working relatively hard this week so haven’t felt like riding when I get home.

Soldato
I find most hangers that's aren't obviously bent are always bent in the same way. When they are visibly bent in from a fall I understand it but the other way I have no idea.

Always nervous using the hanger tool, some cast one's you can breathe on to bend and other like cube just don't want to bend.

Soldato
Yeah really need to get some after that fiasco last night. Which are you using and where from? Just wondering if the cheap and cheerful are just as good as

I'm using Genuine-Innovations-Tubeless-Tyre-Repair-Kit, cheap but they worked really well for my side wall and rim punctures.

Can I just put more sealant in it, or do have have to clean up all the old out of it first? I had a 'mare' of a job removing the rubber bogies off the rear tyre when I had to replace the wheel... Don't want to do that again unless I really have to. Tyres have done 6000 miles and looking quite worn in places. Still quite a way from the wear indicators but the centre tread is very cracked.
From what I've seen you can just top it up, but so far I've been removing the tyre. I might start topping up after 6 months then every year removing the tyre to clean it.

I left Stans Race Sealant in for around 9 months last year... I won't make that mistake again, it was a nightmare to remove. Back to the standard Stans! hah

Last edited:
Soldato
I find most hangers that's aren't obviously bent are always bent in the same way. When they are visibly bent in from a fall I understand it but the other way I have no idea.

Always nervous using the hanger tool, some cast one's you can breathe on to bend and other like cube just don't want to bend.

Yeah, new frame and hanger last year. Possibly the hanger mount where it interfaces with the hanger isn’t perfect and as I never checked when assembled as I didn’t have the tool, maybe it’s just “factory tolerance” which has manifested a bit more as it’s been used and perhaps picked up slight knocks from use.

The bike has never been crashed or dropped which I’d expect to bend the hanger.

Got it now so put it in a box for future use. I can do my MTB which I know will be bent as I’ve crashed that quite a lot & my dads Giant as I had a lie down on that too... :o

Oh and a thumbs up! For the wiggle collect+ free delivery option. Got it in two days, postage was free. Last time it took more than two days to even be picked when it came direct to me, worth a shot again in future as it’s more convenient to collect at leisure than miss a delivery.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you spend part of it? Upgrade some stuff like your helmet/clothing/anything else you need, then save the remainder for the 'backup' idea? Spend the accessories one and 'save' the other? Maybe see if you can get them as 2 different vouchers if unable to spend part of it.

ould check and confirm about any expiry as I think generally C2W schemes are only valid for 12 months, but that might be the way they're claimed by an employer and as this is a prize it might be different terms.

I think it is used in one go. I'm sure I read when I had my own actual C2W that it said if you don't spend it all, it's simply lost...

Apparently it's valid until the end of August, but they could extend it for me if I needed.

Soldato
I think it is used in one go. I'm sure I read when I had my own actual C2W that it said if you don't spend it all, it's simply lost...

Apparently it's valid until the end of August, but they could extend it for me if I needed.
If I was you I wouldn't risk that possibility of extension.

Associate
I haven't followed all the suggestions, but what about spending the voucher on a nice winter bike with discbrakes and eyelets for mudguards? You can keep the Canyon for the warmer months then.

Back
Top Bottom