Garage renovation

Associate
Hi all,

Planning to redo my double garage in the near future, what order do you do things?

1. Garage door - change to roller
2. Ceiling - insulate/plasterboard
3. Electrics/walls - might just leave the bricks and just paint them
4. Floor - level and epoxy

Any advice would be appreciated

Soldato
A couple of questions which might help to know first:

• Have you got much room in the loft space?
  • Could you put in a loft ladder so you have ease of access for laying the insulation and additional storage?
  • What size are the rafters? - they might need be to upgraded if using for storage, especially on a double garage.
  • Have you already got power to the garage?
  • Is the current garage door powered?
If it were me and you had plenty of space in the loft, I would want to install a lighting in the loft first, then loft ladder, then plasterboard the ceiling.

Associate
OP
Next door live above the garage.

The garage has a powered up and over door but I've been told the springs are knackered so I have to manually lift to open.

Yes I have power and even a sink. Washing machine is next to it.

I have 3 fluorescent tubes - these will become led.

Is that the right order? Garage door might have to go last as that's the biggest cost. Would that make a difference?

Soldato
If you don't need the rafters for storage I'd be tempted to install a lay in grid ceiling (like in an office), saves having to skim the ceiling, is easier to DIY, is probably cheaper and can install recessed lights.

Associate
I'm part way doing exactly what you have listed

I've opted to stud the walls out because mine is semi-subterranean to help keep the damp out

Went for a plastered ceiling for air tightness as my lounge is above but a cheap alternative would be OSB board - also very easy to screw things into for hanging stuff

click the link in my sig to see mine

Associate
OP
I'm part way doing exactly what you have listed

I've opted to stud the walls out because mine is semi-subterranean to help keep the damp out

Went for a plastered ceiling for air tightness as my lounge is above but a cheap alternative would be OSB board - also very easy to screw things into for hanging stuff

click the link in my sig to see mine

Great stuff! I will have a read.

Did you list your materials - would be helpful to get a realistic price and opinion.

Associate
Did you list your materials - would be helpful to get a realistic price and opinion.

from memory ceiling insulated, boarded and plastered was ~£500 - loft roll, 12.5mm baords + plaser

garage roller door was ~£1000 (fitted) - roller door uk, insulated lsrger slat roller

garage epoxy floor was ~£350 (DIY) - double garage kit from resincoat.co.uk

Associate
OP
from memory ceiling insulated, boarded and plastered was ~£500 - loft roll, 12.5mm baords + plaser

garage roller door was ~£1000 (fitted) - roller door uk, insulated lsrger slat roller

garage epoxy floor was ~£350 (DIY) - double garage kit from resincoat.co.uk

Brilliant thanks.

Back
Top Bottom