LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
I've had mine for just over 6 weeks now and recently it's started making a low hissing noise after about 5 mins operation. It's like the hiss you get from a gas stove...

Can't figure out whether it's the fan or some sort of electronic white noise - have raised a ticket with LG in the meantime. Someone posted a similar noise a few pages back and I'm wondering if anyone else has had something similar and managed to get to the bottom of it

Associate
I've had mine for just over 6 weeks now and recently it's started making a low hissing noise after about 5 mins operation. It's like the hiss you get from a gas stove...

Can't figure out whether it's the fan or some sort of electronic white noise - have raised a ticket with LG in the meantime. Someone posted a similar noise a few pages back and I'm wondering if anyone else has had something similar and managed to get to the bottom of it

I started to hear the same hissing noise after 15 days of use...
It is too late for a return/replacement in USA ( I bought it on LG.com )
I'm not sure yet if I want to send it as a warranty claim.
I'm going to take it apart and block the fans to check if the fans are making it.
If fans is the reason, I'm going to replace them myself. Before that I will remove the red shroud on a top of the grill... it just blocking the hot air trying to escape and making the temp inside hotter... maybe it will improve/fix the issue and no replacement will be needed.
If fans is not the reason, it means - transistors are... in this case it will go as a warranty claim...
So far I noticed that the sound is getting launder if I push temperature in a room up.

beside the noise, which I hear since I made my pc deadly quiet, the monitor is good. Mine does not nave any sort of uniformity, so I may live with a necessity of some tweaking with cooling; I made similar with my PC anyway. It seems that you have to do it yourself or pay *5 price for a boutique items.

@Keelolo, could you post update for you case please

Associate
Have you, and if not would you be able to, try getting a decibel Reading from an app on your phone by placing it on the red grill and seeing what it measures as?

When I tried last it measured at 42db using Db meter on the iPhone.

Hopefully it’s the fan, and speaking for my own selfish case it’s a rare issue that won’t affect me in the next few weeks! So far I’ve not heard a peep from this thing.

Associate
I have 28-30db on the top of the grill when it on.
The sounds drives me crazy now :)
It is hardly noticeable, but in my home office deadly quiet environment it is the only sound
as it appears, I have 15 days AFTER it was delivered, so it is going back, I cannot bear it for 8+ hours

I was very happy till the few days ago when it started...

the funny thing - once anybody in a home is doing anything louder than the noise, it's gone :)

maybe I made my PC toooooo quiet...

Noctua & Be Quiet it is your fault too, LG has to sue you :)

Soldato
Update folks....
Ive sent my panel back :(

Dont get me wrong. Fantastic monitor, but some issues like the flickering phenomenon in fast/faster mode.
Also I am not sure if its me or whether IPS panels dont agree with me, I seem to be getting eye strain. (its probably just me).

Reading the above... for the price of this panel, I genuinely would not accept to keep the panel if it involves having to open it up and modify it as described above....

Shame as its a lovely panel... but has issues.....

Associate
Guys never, never, never! buy anything on LG.com!!!!!!
I was using the guidance "how to return" stated on LG.com, but it was always leading me to parts & repair.
I spent 2 hours trying to get somebody on a line who could start the return process...
I was kicked like a ball over the circle again and again.
I talked with 9 different people, every time from the beginning I was telling that I want to return the monitor ( loud a clear several times ). And after 15-25 minutes of going over debugging/questions they proposed a repair.
After I was telling again that I'm not going to repair brand new item bought 14 days ago, I was told they need to connect me to a person who could handle it... so, again and again....
Only after I said that if I will not be connected now to a proper person I will file a dispute with paypal for a full refund, suddenly, a proper person was found just in a second...
I have no idea if it done by purpose or the COV-19 played a role here...
But I will never buy anything from the LG.com....

Associate
GtJqe45

As for the LG service, I agree, it's the worst service I've ever met.
A year ago I bought LG 34GK950G which will break down after half a year (horizontal and vertical lines).
They did not accept the guarantee and I had to throw monitor in the garbage.
After a month, the TV 55" LG OLED broke downf, this time I did not give up having a 5-year warranty.
They repaired after 4 months!!!!! (Christmas without TV).
I bought the LG 38GL950G for now I am satisfied until I have to face LG service again.
https://ibb.co/6DyXdJY

Last edited:
Associate
Wow you guys have seriously quiet systems. I thought mine was quiet, but I guess I just have more ambient noise going on. Looking at your readings prompted me to take a hearing test on the "dB Meter" iphone app - got 100% whoo! I can hear. Anyway I suppose Decibels alone don't describe the pitch, which can be an issue but genuinely I can't hear a thing from mine. Transistors can whine when they get old or go bad, especially as they heat up and that can sounds like a hiss. I'm just hoping mine doesn't go bad, but my LG OLED telly is still going strong and I remember seeing loads of problem posts about that, so I'm reassuring myself that most cases are OK and the ones that aren't are the vocal ones you read about.

Cavallino, I'm really wondering if you had a fault with yours now. Are you getting a replacement or is your affair with this screen over now?

Some lovely looking rigs in here, Vaty102 it took me about a minute to realise that contraption on your desk was a mouse. Loving those temps btw. You've really gone for it there!

Associate
@frustin Watercooling tubes, blue is responsible for the graphics card and red for the CPU.
Bose has a subwoofer set is about 5-6 years old I don't remember the Bose Companion model connected to USB because later models had jack.

Soldato
I wish to get a new monitor, 4k or 3440x1440 around 34-38 inches max with gsync would this be a good choice?

I game a lot and am going to buy a new tower with it too.(3900x with a 2080TI)

Soldato
I wish to get a new monitor, 4k or 3440x1440 around 34-38 inches max with gsync would this be a good choice?

I game a lot and am going to buy a new tower with it too.(3900x with a 2080TI)

I'd go for 'Freesync-G-sync compatible' rather than straight G-sync. 3600X, 3700X will be fine for gaming too. Depends what type of games you play. Driving games - ultrawide is more preferrable.

Associate
GtJqe45

As for the LG service, I agree, it's the worst service I've ever met.
A year ago I bought LG 34GK950G which will break down after half a year (horizontal and vertical lines).
They did not accept the guarantee and I had to throw monitor in the garbage.
After a month, the TV 55" LG OLED broke downf, this time I did not give up having a 5-year warranty.
They repaired after 4 months!!!!! (Christmas without TV).
I bought the LG 38GL950G for now I am satisfied until I have to face LG service again.
https://ibb.co/6DyXdJY

If you had bought the monitor from a retailer they would have covered the warranty for you by law especially if you bought on a credit card

Associate
@Azrael1 In the first place I called Overclockers UK because I bought it here (PayPal),
they told me that only up to 30 days they could exchange it for me and gave me LG number.
LG wanted photos of what the damage looked like and based on two photos gave the verdict: mechanical damage.
They offered me a repair fee of £ 690. I paid for this monitor around £ 900 so it was not profitable for me to repair it.

@JediFragger I really do not have room to store broken electronics, I even proposed to a few colleagues but no one was interested, sorry.

Associate
@Azrael1 In the first place I called Overclockers UK because I bought it here (PayPal),
they told me that only up to 30 days they could exchange it for me and gave me LG number.
LG wanted photos of what the damage looked like and based on two photos gave the verdict: mechanical damage.
They offered me a repair fee of £ 690. I paid for this monitor around £ 900 so it was not profitable for me to repair it.

@JediFragger I really do not have room to store broken electronics, I even proposed to a few colleagues but no one was interested, sorry.

Ahh I see - I deal with Dell Gold support a lot and they also charge if a device is damaged warranty or not. Was the monitor dropped or knocked at any time ?

Back
Top Bottom