Ridiculous price matches

Soldato
Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
I like this thread :D

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202004118919590 - £4995 BMW 750i 4.8l V8 362bhp with loads of buttons and electric everything/active anti-roll bars/soft close doors/adaptive cruise control/adaptive Bi-Xenons/sat nav with digital TV and what look to be the most comfortable seats ever.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003098184365 - £4975 Ford Fiesta 1.25 81bhp of pure terror with an AM/FM radio...and it's got doors and indicators and stuff

The BMW has been clocked, it's milage was dropped from mid 90s to a flat 80 around 2006, also this is almost certainly going to need valve stem seals. It an endemic failure in these engines in the 6 series, 5 series, 7 series and x5 of the same engine.
Based on that, it's likely overpriced and in need of major works and many thousands of pounds (or 35+ hours of labour for a DIYer) before the next MOT.

I bet the fiesta seems like a better bet now :D

Soldato
The BMW has been clocked, it's milage was dropped from mid 90s to a flat 80 around 2006, also this is almost certainly going to need valve stem seals. It an endemic failure in these engines in the 6 series, 5 series, 7 series and x5 of the same engine.
Based on that, it's likely overpriced and in need of major works and many thousands of pounds (or 35+ hours of labour for a DIYer) before the next MOT.

That and no MOTs performed from December 2010 until November 2014, and then again in 2015!

Man of Honour
this is almost certainly going to need valve stem seals. It an endemic failure in these engines in the 6 series, 5 series, 7 series and x5 of the same engine.

Which sums up why this sort of concept exists. The reality is that a 5 grand Fiesta is a useful car which people want and a 5 grand 7 series is virtually useless so very few people want it. You couldn't properly use a 750i as your main car without spending serious money and the reality is that if you have the means to do that you'll just buy a newer one.

The cost per mile of running my increasingly aging E39 530i on a daily basis ended up being within a few pence of the cost per mile of the F10 which replaced it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Including. I effectively swapped maintenance costs for depreciation. I had it for 2.5 years during which time I spent virtually nothing on it outside of fuel, depreciation, tax, insurance etc.

I've found depreciation something I'd rather lose money through than constantly fixing broken things.

Caporegime
Which sums up why this sort of concept exists. The reality is that a 5 grand Fiesta is a useful car which people want and a 5 grand 7 series is virtually useless so very few people want it. You couldn't properly use a 750i as your main car without spending serious money and the reality is that if you have the means to do that you'll just buy a newer one.

And that's ultimately what it boils down to - demand.

Transmission breaker
Don

The cost per mile of running my increasingly aging E39 530i on a daily basis ended up being within a few pence of the cost per mile of the F10 which replaced it.

I run a 2006 750i as my daily... :D

Soldato
Good! Am I right in assuming from a couple of other posts that you have a place of your own now? Hopefully it's not rotting away outside :D

35+/- year old finally moves out after freeloading from parents, next up, getting married...The Pivot Table diaries

I haven't seen such a thread anywhere. Would defo read :D

Soldato
Wait Fox is mid 30's? Why do I picture an older gent in pipe, slippers and anorak, getting ready to consume his daily BMW manual on his N63 based table atop his M spec comfort sofa.

Looks like I was way off!

Back
Top Bottom