• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

More than 3 years on...and the 1080ti is still beasting it...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Why does the number of years matter? It's still last gens top tier GPU. It's not like there has been 3 or 4 generations of GPUs released since.

It's a great GPU, but people are making it out to be much better than it actually is.

It was twice as fast as the prev gen highest card for only $50 more and this gens highest card is only 30% faster but costs $500 more - the 1080Ti is a card that should never have existed so any one that bought one got something pretty special.

Soldato
Sure, it was a great gpu for its time, in hindsight, and still holds its own today.

But if youve got £600 in your pocket right now and need a gpu you dont buy 4 year old tech you buy a more modern 2070 super.

I can possibly understand buying one used for a max of £300 but anyone who pays more than that for a used one is dumb. They arent classic cars or houses that go up in value over time. It beggers belief the amount people pay for used electronics.

OcUK Staff
Sure, it was a great gpu for its time, in hindsight, and still holds its own today.

But if youve got £600 in your pocket right now and need a gpu you dont buy 4 year old tech you buy a more modern 2070 super.

I can possibly understand buying one used for a max of £300 but anyone who pays more than that for a used one is dumb. They arent classic cars or houses that go up in value over time.

Who knows people are still buying Vegas and they are no longer the bargain they once were but people still buy but it’s no doubt miners.

There is demand for everything old and new stuff.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I just couldn't bring myself to do that (ramping up price to ridiculous levels just because I knew they would still sell) I couldn't live with myself.

As long as I wasn't losing money on the sale and making a little bit then I'd feel better selling lower price and knowing customers aren't overpaying.

But that's why I wouldn't go into business as a profession because I have a strong moral compass

Caporegime
I remember when EOL stuff used to get cheaper to clear out inventory....these days it seems to go for more than it was when it was new in a lot of cases. Vega 7 priced at nearly a grand. :rolleyes:

Associate
I remember when EOL stuff used to get cheaper to clear out inventory....these days it seems to go for more than it was when it was new in a lot of cases. Vega 7 priced at nearly a grand. :rolleyes:
low stock limited edition rare, normally stuff you find at the back of the store room from 4 years ago gets put on the bargain rail but not gpus apparently

Associate
Just received a second hand ROG Strix 1080ti to replace my 980ti. I'm well pleased, running at 3840*2160 max settings/60Hz and dropped 20 degC compared to my 980ti !. The bigger heatsink and clearer hot air exhaust no doubts helps temps. Silly rgb led lighting added in too and slightly lower stand by power. Well happy. The non spinning fans when cold take a bit of getting used to though..

Permabanned
It was still destroying 3440x1440 for me and a new 4k monitor was the only reason I sold mine for a 2080ti.

If I still had the 1440p monitor, no doubt I would still be using the 1080ti as it was pretty much running everything I threw at it at pretty much max settings!

Soldato
Crazy people paying £££ for old 1080tis! 4 years old! i just sold my super for almost what i paid new 6 months ago! - Waiting for ampere, got my trust rx 480 in the pc, good time to cash in if you're waiting for ampere

Soldato
64GB RAM, 3900X, 1200W PSU - crazy people? OR Jokes on you? [slow clap]

lol! - i didn't pay through the nose for them, i actually have a professional use case for them aswell, my point being no one in their right mind should pay £400 for outdated tech, especially with next gen around the corner

Soldato
My Vega 56 (along with every other AMD card such as Vega 64, RX 470, RX 480, RX 570. RX 580 etc) is still rocking it after all these years. What an amazing GPU as usual from AMD.

When that level of achievement happens to an Nvidia GPU it shocks everyone. What a rare occurrence. All hail the mighty 1080ti, Nvidia finally made something that impressed me.

Soldato
so.... If Nvidia releases nothing but junk for 4 years from now.... the 2080Ti suddenly becomes fantastic value and best GPU ever??
I don't follow.

The 1080Ti was as impressive as the 980Ti was. And the 780Ti before that. The only reason it looks "extra" good now is that Turing was nonsense. That is nothing to be clapped.

Associate
1080 Ti will go down in history the same the legendary 8800 GTX for me, such a powerful card at launch that's got a lot more life in it yet. Best decision Nvidia did was give it that 11GB VRAM.

Soldato
so.... If Nvidia releases nothing but junk for 4 years from now.... the 2080Ti suddenly becomes fantastic value and best GPU ever??
I don't follow.

The 1080Ti was as impressive as the 980Ti was. And the 780Ti before that. The only reason it looks "extra" good now is that Turing was nonsense. That is nothing to be clapped.

This. the 20 series was dire so the 1080TI "SEEMED" over powered.

Nvidia milking the consumer yet again.

Back
Top Bottom