Creating simple sites with bootstrap - text editor or...........

Soldato
So, its been a log time since I touched anything front end but after a toss up between starting gain or learning swift, front end won out.

I've done a lot of the basics and to be honest with little direction I turned myself in knots.

To that end I'm going to focus on learning/using a boiler plate such as bootstrap and learn as I go as I need to.

I used to enjoy using a 'web editor' and so I guess, with so much choice out there my question is, should I use something like Brackets that has a live web view or take on a web editor like PineGrow? Or something else?

Any clarity much appreciated

Man of Honour
Personally I love Jetbrains IDE's so Webstorm, PHPStorm or Pycharm depending on the language used. But Visual Studio Code seems to be the the go-to free editor nowadays.

Soldato
OP
Im wondering if a web editor like pinegrow is now the way forward for a bit of hand holding

I've really no interest in saying I crafted a website form scratch with my bare hands, Just want a friendly environment where I can knock out decent sites or modify a template or boiler plate

Soldato
OP
I would recommend checking out vscode its free and very popular so lots of resources out there

it comes well recommended. Does it allow for a live preview in browser?

Edit: just had a butcers and vscode with a live preview plugin and a bootstrap plugin essentially gives me a web editor but with soo much more

Last edited:

Jin

Jin

Associate
Bit late to this but I'm self taught full-stuck developer and been down through this.

Brackets if you don't want to install any plugins. It will do live preview by default so you just type code and get started.
VSCode is great, but you'll want to install some plugins for live preview.

I personally love jetbrain IDEs, Webstorm for front-end but it's not free.
I always install notepad++ on Windows machines but doesn't run on Linux/MacOS.

Soldato
OP
Cheers dude.

Installed VSCode and a number of plugins and it looks great but for some reason Brackets keeps calling me.

Im torn at the moment between front end or learning Swift and cant decide

Back
Top Bottom