Speeding Ticket

Soldato
Hi all. I was pulled over yesterday by a traffic police car after driving past their stationary car on the dual carriageway. The officer said he got me on his hand held gun doing 87mph in a 70mph area.

I always thought that the officer had to be outside the car with high vis on when operating a handheld gun. Does anyone know if its enforceable if the policeman operated it while sat in the car?

They produced a fixed penalty on the spot but they forgot to put the speed on the ticket. It simply says "driving at ... mph in a 70 mph speed limit".

Based on those two bits of information, does anyone know if they can legally enforce this?

I'm not after moral advice before anyone chirps in their two cents. I want to know if I legally need to pay this.

Soldato
I think they can. But if they didn't write the ticket out properly and missed the most important part off, it's probably not valid lol

Soldato
can be inside the car, outside the car, underneath the car. doesn't matter. however if there isn't a speed on there you could well contest it in court. However it does not stop them correcting their mistake and issuing you a postal req providing you were issued with a verbal NIP by the road side.

Man of Honour
The only defence you might be able to work with is if the officer hasn't got another written record of the detected speed. If they wrote it in their pocket notebook, it could be corrected on the ticket and there's nothing else that suggests any issues.

Also, slow down.

Soldato
Yeah 100% go back to them and say that it doesnt specify the speed and leave it with them.

Chances are it'll come back, but worth a try.

Also no moral advice from me, I do far worse.

Soldato
As you already have the fixed penalty notice, you'll have to contest this in court. If you contest the speed what are you going to say, you weren't speeding?

If you lie and they amend the notice with the actual speed in court, which they can do, the magistrate may well decide to give you the maximum penalty which I believe is 75% of your weekly income and 3 points.

Pick your poison, and slow down.

Soldato
You haven't been disadvantaged by the speed not being noted - you wouldn't have been pulled and then handed a ticket for under the speed limit.
Just outside a speed awareness course - should be £100 & 3pts
If you decide not to pay this and take it to court, the note will just be amended. Your points penalty will remain the same, but your fine will increase.

Associate
It only needs the SP30 code to say you have exceeded the limit on a public road. You were served the NIP by the police there and then. As for how they catch you, it doesn't matter, they can be anywhere anytime just like the speed limits are in force all the time.

Soldato
As above - So long as the ticket says SP30 - that's all that matters. The speed "number" is not part of the ticket issue. Pay it, move on.

Associate
Is there an SP20 now?

I got flashed a week ago in London. Totally missed when the road changed speed limits.

Think I was about 25 mph at most. Have the speed limiter set to 30 round London.

Be my first ever ticket after 30 years of driving lol

Soldato
Is there an SP20 now?

I got flashed a week ago in London. Totally missed when the road changed speed limits.

Think I was about 25 mph at most. Have the speed limiter set to 30 round London.

Ah driving with undue care and attention hey

I'm a courier those signs are for everybody else.lol

Caporegime
Is there an SP20 now?

SP30 is exceeding the the stautory speed limit on a public road. The 30 has nothing to do with the speed limit.

SP20 is exceeding the speed limit for type of vehicle (excluding goods or passenger vehicles).

Soldato
Is there an SP20 now?

Never seen anyone get a ticket for breaking a 20 limit. They are effectively minimum speed limits in most places O_o

Soldato
You haven't been disadvantaged by the speed not being noted - you wouldn't have been pulled and then handed a ticket for under the speed limit.
Just outside a speed awareness course - should be £100 & 3pts
If you decide not to pay this and take it to court, the note will just be amended. Your points penalty will remain the same, but your fine will increase.

You don't get offered speed awareness/driver improvement courses in Scotland.

Soldato
Hi all. I was pulled over yesterday by a traffic police car after driving past their stationary car on the dual carriageway. The officer said he got me on his hand held gun doing 87mph in a 70mph area.

I always thought that the officer had to be outside the car with high vis on when operating a handheld gun. Does anyone know if its enforceable if the policeman operated it while sat in the car?

They produced a fixed penalty on the spot but they forgot to put the speed on the ticket. It simply says "driving at ... mph in a 70 mph speed limit".

Based on those two bits of information, does anyone know if they can legally enforce this?

I'm not after moral advice before anyone chirps in their two cents. I want to know if I legally need to pay this.

If you were going 87 then your speedo much have been nudging 100. You were caught - man up and take it. Sounds like you got away lightly.

There is no way I would do that speed on an unfamiliar DC.

Back
Top Bottom