Fuel prices

Soldato
With oil prices at an all time low it should be under a £ a litre however due to petrol stations not selling enough the prices are kept high.
An excellent reason to switch to electric.

Man of Honour
^Petrol prices aren't being kept 'high' though; relative to recent history they are low; in fact ignoring a short-lived dip in early 2016 they are the lowest since the financial crisis in 2008 (and tax has increased since then) i.e. since Electric cars really became a viable option. So not sure that gives the reason to switch to electric, even if we might have expected prices to drop futher based on crude prices.

In other words, if people didn't switch to electric when it was £1.40/L, why would they switch when it is £1/L, all else being equal?

Man of Honour
With oil prices at an all time low it should be under a £ a litre however due to petrol stations not selling enough the prices are kept high.
An excellent reason to switch to electric.

Fuel at the lowest it's been in real terms for more than 20 years is an excellent reason to switch to electric? Interesting logic.

Soldato
I think what jamoor was saying is that due to inefficiencies in the system (i.e. wholesale prices are not immediately passed onto consumers) electric is 'better'. There are examples of electricity suppliers who have dynamic pricing that can pass on wholesale costs of electricity on to consumers on an hourly basis.

Caporegime
Someone bought the fuel at a much higher price than now. They aren’t going to devalue their stock just because the feedstock to fuel is cheaper today. They need to sell off the fuel bought when oil was much higher.

Man of Honour
I don't think it's unreasonable that a massive reduction in the volume of sales means that each litre sold now has a greater contribution to fixed costs than it usually would.

Associate
Seems Tesco have cut their prices now too, with 99.9p cap for unleaded and 105.9p for diesel. Tend to fill up with Tesco Momentum as there's one local and I pass another on the commute, not that I'm using much these days. Noticed Momentum always used to be around 5ppl more than standard, over the last few months the gap has been steadily increasing.

Soldato
I think what jamoor was saying is that due to inefficiencies in the system (i.e. wholesale prices are not immediately passed onto consumers) electric is 'better'. There are examples of electricity suppliers who have dynamic pricing that can pass on wholesale costs of electricity on to consumers on an hourly basis.

i think at times octopus has free electricity or even pays you to take it off the grid somehow, so you can charge your car battery at that time.

I’m not sure if they are a good deal otherwise though.

Man of Honour
To me the logic was clocking 10k in my electric car and it only costing £400 in electricity, that’s a good deal!!

It would cost me a lot more than that saving to swap to electric however - one of the biggest hurdles with electric cars at the moment.

Soldato
It would cost me a lot more than that saving to swap to electric however - one of the biggest hurdles with electric cars at the moment.
For me the cost was slightly more than my 2011 car. The saving in fuel paid for the fixed costs of the car, it then got even better when the road tax was reduced to nil after I bought it.

Back
Top Bottom