Little Richard : Rock 'n' roll pioneer dies (Who?)

Associate
Wow. 87? He did well to get to that age (given some of his predelictions)

I always found him to be a bit too fuelled up and down right scary to watch but there's no denying he a was a true innovator in the early days..

Deserves to be remembered as much as Chuck Berry , Jerry Lee, and Elvis as a part of the birth of Rock and Roll.

87? Wow. Fair play fella.

Soldato
Sad day, an absolute legend. There wouldn't be any rock or heavy metal without Little Richrd or Chuck Berry. The guy was a true pioneer. Although the latter wouldn't have been the influence he was if it wasn't for Marty McFly, but that's another story.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Sad day, an absolute legend. There wouldn't be any rock or heavy metal without Chuck Berry. The guy was a true pioneer. Although he wouldn't have been the influence he was if it wasn't for Marty McFly, but that's another story.

I played in Chuck Berry's backing band when he came to Baileys in Hanley.
We had to wait on stage, the tour Manager said "He will walk on, turn to you and say the song and what key it is in and then get on with it".
We played about 15 songs and halfway through the last song he cut it short and walked off.
The crowd went wild for an encore but he was gone, he'd left the building and got straight in a car.
It took me ages to convince the audience he had gone.
It was several years later when we found out that he does exactly one hour and will leave the stage when it reached one hour :)

Man of Honour
OP
and then you fell out of bed?

Seriously cool story if true though.

Got any pics?

I've been after pics since it happened and it was also last minute.
I used to play in Rock n Roll/Rockabilly bands at the time and we were quite incestuous where we would just throw bands together.
I'd got tickets to go see Chuck Berry but got a phone call about two hours before the gig to turn up.
I also played guitar for Showaddywaddy for two gigs around the same time but at to stand offstage because I didn't know the dance moves.

I admit it does sound like BS but I have been gigging for 50 years this year..

Soldato
I saw him in Concert with Chuck Berry & Jerry Lee Lewis at Wembley Arena many years ago. Out of the 3 him and his backing band were by far the LOUDEST, so loud my ears hurt at the time, that's what i remember the most about seeing him.

Still a Legend though, RIP.

Man of Honour
OP
i was surprised he was still alive and made it to a grand old age

Especially with his gay sexual promiscuity.
Around 1980 I was reading an interview with him in a magazine and he was talking about how hard it was to have sex with blokes when he was younger so he ended up getting a girlfriend who could easily get blokes and because the man would be lusted up they would let Richard join in.
I took the magazine to the bloke I was playing in a rockabilly band with (he worked the next assembly line to me) and he tore the page out, ripped it up , threw it and walked off :)

Back
Top Bottom