• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX or no RTX

Soldato
I initially thought RTX was pointless and did not add anything to the games I tried, other than having a huge FPS hit.

Anyway, I've started playing Metro Exodus and thought wow this looks fantasic. I did not notice RTX and DLSS were enabled by default. I read it uses global illumination instead of only shadows.
Then I decided to turn RTX off and do a couple of comparisons and in parts it looks like a completely different game. I've only just realised how to take screenshots

Most of the time its subtle, but really makes a difference between what looks like a flat image with flat light and something with depth and atmosphere. It really needs to be seen in realtime but there three examples below. FPS does take a hit of around 20 but worth it for the eye candy in my opinion

Off
isTNTF5.jpg.png

On
i7IkRta.jpg

Off
ugryCOk.jpg.png

On
2jQiHLw.jpg.png

Off
afcX4WP.jpg.png

On
WOz8Xdx.jpg.png

Soldato
I know I've said this umpteen times but RTX on the 20 series is very much a taster, IMHO. I think that if it gets a lot better on the 30 series it will go mainstream on the 40 series.

@Rroff can probably give you chapter and verse but as I understand it RTX actually simplifies things a lot for the game-maker. It's just that the computational horsepower needed to implement it is only now becoming available.

Soldato
There is no doubt RTX is amazing.

However until every single new game uses RTX, its relavance and subequent value will be questioned.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I know I've said this umpteen times but RTX on the 20 series is very much a taster, IMHO. I think that if it gets a lot better on the 30 series it will go mainstream on the 40 series.

@Rroff can probably give you chapter and verse but as I understand it RTX actually simplifies things a lot for the game-maker. It's just that the computational horsepower needed to implement it is only now becoming available.

However until every single new game uses RTX, its relavance and subequent value will be questioned.
+1

Soldato
OP
Does anyone know long it took to implement RTX into Quake II? I would love to re-play some other titles of the late 90s with it. Namely Unreal 1, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex 1

Man of Honour
Does anyone know long it took to implement RTX into Quake II? I would love to re-play some other titles of the late 90s with it. Namely Unreal 1, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex 1

Actually took quite awhile if you add it all up - it is based on top of two other mods once of which implemented path tracing as a proof of concept but visually was a mess. However the final implementation of RTX and the noise filter actually didn't take long at all relatively speaking.

Quake 2 has an advantage over many other games however and probably why they choose it in that the original lighting was purely based off a static baked technique similar to ray tracing - so they could delete that in one go and then replace it with path tracing without having to touch the levels manually to rework them for ray tracing, etc. many other games they'd have to go back in and make lots of level design tweaks which would be a licensing nightmare.

Caporegime

Meh, those pics don't exactly make me want to reach for the kleenex and the lube but i suppose over time it's impact will be better.

Man of Honour
Meh, those pics don't exactly make me want to reach for the kleenex and the lube but i suppose over time it's impact will be better.

Problem is to really appreciate it you need a more modern game with the level of integration of Quake 2 RTX and see it in motion - the accuracy of real time indirect lighting, little touches where surfaces capture light, etc. take it to another level that implementations like Metro or reshade doing shadows in some games, etc. don't come close to.

Associate
The new consoles will have a lot to say on this subject. If they are capable then we PC gamers will see much more adaption of the technology.

Am loving RTX so far in games i have with it in , {still need to play Metro Exodus}
If consoles can do Ray tracing there going to have to have sum good cooling or going to sound so loud and get like a mini oven .....

Associate
Pretty much my opinion, maybe my 50 year old eyes couldn't tell RTX if it hit me in the face.

This is how my 40 year old eyes feel about high refresh rates. VRR yes, that's great, but much over 60Hz and I don't really see it. Proper HDR (on an OLED) I can see, and I like what RTX does for reflections and lights on the games I've seen it on so far.

Guess it has yet to really prove its worth to most.

Caporegime
Problem is to really appreciate it you need a more modern game with the level of integration of Quake 2 RTX and see it in motion - the accuracy of real time indirect lighting, little touches where surfaces capture light, etc. take it to another level that implementations like Metro or reshade doing shadows in some games, etc. don't come close to.

I played with it in a build i was doing with a 2080ti windforce with battlefield v. At the time that was really all they supported it and even then I found it pretty subtle. Will be more noticeable when it goes mainstream obviously

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom