20 yrs a pc gamer. Is it time to switch.

Soldato
They're doing well with the all the alternate forms of income; but I mean long term. They may inadvertently help to make their own hardware defunct; maybe that's the point, they'd rather get your money for services, but the Xbox gamer mindshare is largely in that hardware, and not services IMO, and after last gen, unless they focus more on exclusives and the actual hardware experience and providing something the others don't...

That's kinda my point though regarding Xbox v PC; with the OP question being is it time to switch to console...with the higher price of games, beyond the Switch (which offers mobility and exclusives) or PS4/5 (exclusives) as companion machines, I cannot see much point in shifting. PCs have a higher burden of entry; but they're upgradeable in a way consoles aren't, much more flexible, and have access to games and options the console simply don't and typically you pay less for the games, which if you buy enough games certainly adds up significantly over say a 3 year period.

Caporegime
They're doing well with the all the alternate forms of income; but I mean long term. They may inadvertently help to make their own hardware defunct; maybe that's the point, they'd rather get your money for services, but the Xbox gamer mindshare is largely in that hardware, and not services IMO, and after last gen, unless they focus more on exclusives and the actual hardware experience and providing something the others don't...

I think that's the ultimate plan for this generation - get the consumers' mindshare to switch from local hardware on to services. We'll see a massive push in xCloud and Game Pass. Maybe internet connectivity/speeds will dictate a further console in 2026/7 but that could very well be the final one. The Stadia model really is the best where the server hardware can be upgraded as and when and all the games continue to run seamlessly and with Game Pass, it's even more powerful.

Even Apple is seeing hardware income drop as people upgrade less and they want you to spend money on apps/music/TV/films instead.

Now I've written this, it makes me wonder whether it's even worth starting an Xbox library from scratch, as I was planning to do. Problem is I don't know how much I can upgrade my PC with it being a Dell system. Made a bit of a boob buying this, even though it was a very good price for what I got and it does what I wanted it to do most - be 100% rock solid with no hardware issues whatsoever.

Whatever happens, I'll be 100% getting a PS5. Too many exclusives on Sony's system that I don't want to miss out on.

Last edited:
Associate
I prefer PC and the only latest gen of console I own is the Switch as that offers something totally different to the PC with the exclusives.

Associate
No. Why would i? I've got over 500+ games across Steam/Origin/Uplay/GOG/Epic. Plus there are far too many limitations on consoles.

I don't give a **** about exclusives and if that's all consoles have to offer then Sony/Nintendo better get back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought an Xbox at the beginning of the lockdown and I think it has rekindled my love of gaming. Not played a game on pc for ages, I have tried but get distracted or bored after short while.

The game pass is a revaltion as I don't have a lot of free time so it has more than enough to keep busy.

Soldato
Picking up a X Box One X with 26 games tomorrow. £300 I be a 55 inch 4K in garage - need something for lockdown .

Was a massive PC gamer up until around 2013 , not played since .

Think the biggest problems will be change over to a controller from mouse and keyboard .

Soldato
I am getting used to a controller, fps pc gaming gives me cramps after playing for even an hour or so. I blame all the years I played quake for hours and hours a night lol

Back
Top Bottom