• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Old build refresh - best 2nd hand CPU starting point

Soldato
Hi guys,

I've been using my 'second build' a lot since the Lockdown; its had more use in the last month than in the past 4 years probably :D

I do all sorts on it, apart from gaming. That's done on my sig rig.

The setup in question is based around a Q6600, with 4GB DDR2. It has a capable SSD and a dedicated SoundBlaster, proper old Skool... even in web browsing/Spofity/video playback, I've begun to feel restricted with it. I'm not complaining, its just showing its age I guess. Plus, I've been spending a lot more time on it, then comparing it to my gaming setup/Dell XPS work i7 laptop.

I'm really after advice on what 2nd hand path way to go down; AMD or Intel - which chip will give me the starting point I need to build the rest of the setup around. Motherboard and RAM is the only other stuff I will be changing, if anyone wants to make a recommendation that too, thanks.

Obviously I want the obvious increase in CPU/memory performance but USB 3.0 would be very welcome and maybe M.2 at a push? Most boards from the past 10 years have gigabit LAN, so I'm taking that for granted. The current setup is also only 32-bit, so I'll be cracking out one of my retail 64-bit 10 licenses that I bought at launch...

£100 is my starting budget. If I'm really convinced, this might be subject to change ;)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well mate, to start you off I have a spare i7-3820 Quad Core LGA2011 that will go in a nice X79 Motherboard hanging around you can have! it's been running 4624mhz 100% for 9 years until last week when I slapped a different CPU in this board.

X79 was without doubt one of the best chipsets ever released hence why they command good prices on auction sites etc. However if you can find one, it'll last for ages, I've got no problems running everything on mine at 4k with zero problems.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks both! I will look into it... always used to be into my AMD stuff but switched to Intel in 2011 and it's still an influence now when I system building for others. My main is long overdue an overhaul and I was looking at building it around a 3700x - but that's for another thread.

Thanks for the linkage@El Jimbenm, that did seem like a great price.

So, the first Ryzen's. AM4/2017? Still quite new/slight overkill perhaps? I'll keep my eyes peeled on the MM :cool:

Man of Honour
Since CPUs have been so stagnant between Sandy and Ryzen, it's hard to do massive upgrades for pennies. My choice would be hand-me-down your Sandy and get a 3700X for your main.

Soldato
OP
Since CPUs have been so stagnant between Sandy and Ryzen, it's hard to do massive upgrades for pennies. My choice would be hand-me-down your Sandy and get a 3700X for your main.
This is something I've weighed up before actually... knowing the way I work things though, I'd probably end up without both computers at the same time :p

Still a possible though.

Thats odd. The q6600 should be more than capable of handling those tasks. Granted 4k video playback will need dedicated gpu assist so a better gfx card e.g. gt1030 or so would do.
Do you know, I can't recall what is was I was doing but Task Manager was on and I was constantly topping 4GB - and I don't have paging enabled. Everything was getting sluggish! I'm spoilt with my alternatives, so I guess I notice it more. 32 bit Windows is probably quite restrictive I'd imagine?

Soldato
Your original post said you have 8gb ram. So why are you running 32bit?
Speed of a system is as much to do with the configuration as it is to do with the hardware. Someone who is clued up can get greater efficiency from an older setup then the average noob.
Kids these days just throw more hardware at the situation. Those who grew up with 386's and upwards over the years will know what older hardware is capable of and will give it the respect it deserves.

Soldato
OP
Your original post said you have 8gb ram. So why are you running 32bit?
Speed of a system is as much to do with the configuration as it is to do with the hardware. Someone who is clued up can get greater efficiency from an older setup then the average noob.
Kids these days just throw more hardware at the situation. Those who grew up with 386's and upwards over the years will know what older hardware is capable of and will give it the respect it deserves.
Good spot! My bad - no, it only has 4GB, that's all the board supports. The build was initially cobbled together from bits I was accumulating in my role as a techie. - I would not have ever bought a 32 bit myself, it was a reclaimed key.

I'm using her now, and today its okay. A few spreadsheets, bit of emailing etc. But as soon as I fire up more than about 5 Chrome tabs, or use Spotify she starts to creek! It's not her fault, I know :D

I think reading/writing to my NAS at the same time is congesting things also - only 100MB lan.

Soldato
what chipset does the board use? even the old p35 chipset supported 8gb ram. 16gb was possible on p45 if i remember correctly. some boards had ddr2 and ddr3 capability although cant use both types at the same time. think those were gigabyte boards.
check the board get pic of it if you can. first step would be to see if it can get to 8gb ram. chrome always eats the ram up.

Man of Honour
Good spot! My bad - no, it only has 4GB, that's all the board supports. The build was initially cobbled together from bits I was accumulating in my role as a techie. - I would not have ever bought a 32 bit myself, it was a reclaimed key.

I'm using her now, and today its okay. A few spreadsheets, bit of emailing etc. But as soon as I fire up more than about 5 Chrome tabs, or use Spotify she starts to creek! It's not her fault, I know :D

I think reading/writing to my NAS at the same time is congesting things also - only 100MB lan.
My Windows 10 installs use 3GB+ doing nothing, so I'm not surprised that Chrome kills it with only 4GB.

Soldato
OP
what chipset does the board use? even the old p35 chipset supported 8gb ram. 16gb was possible on p45 if i remember correctly. some boards had ddr2 and ddr3 capability although cant use both types at the same time. think those were gigabyte boards.
check the board get pic of it if you can. first step would be to see if it can get to 8gb ram. chrome always eats the ram up.
This is she:

IMG-20200427-185333.jpg

Almost certain it only supports 4GB in total...

Edit: yup, I was right.

"4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 4 GB of system memory"

Soldato
Is that 4 ram slots that support 4gb sticks per slot? Or a single ram slot that supports 1 stick of 4gb.

You need to provide the motherboard model number because socket 775 deffo supports more than 4gb of ram.

Back
Top Bottom