VE Day Tomorrow

Soldato
I think that there was a perception that "punishing" Germany (or Japan) would only lead to future trouble as happened as a result of the World War I reparations.
I use to think the treat of Versailles was a major factor that led to WW2 but from what I've read it's not the case. France had much harsher repetitions from the Franco-Prussian War of 1870 and Versailles was watered down over the years and Germany stopped paying in 1931and cancelled altogether in the following year.

WW2 was driven purely by Hitler's racism, I know he citied WW1 being a shame on Germany but it was never going to the reason for conflict. Hitler honestly believed countries like France and UK would never against Germany fighting Slavic countries due to a shared Anglo-Saxon ancestry but he was to naive to think that wasn't how other countries thought about the world.

Soldato
They’ve had a good go:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_reparations

Payback is never going to be in full when you include the waste of human life for a war that could have been avoided.

I know they would never have been able to payback with what happened ,just looking at how it worked out down the line as a result.

We should have helped rebuild infrastructure a lot more than we have been in Afghanistan and Iraq at the time as an example,need to back up destruction with rebuilding.

For WW2 to have been avoided WW1 needed to be avoided.
Unfortunately without nukes war is always an option due to human behaviour,it's our nature.

Soldato
I feel like VE Day should be a day of solemn commemoration of those lost to preserve our freedom, rather than a jingoistic celebration with cake and ice cream. I don’t get it, personally. If you’re into it then fair enough.

Soldato
I feel like VE Day should be a day of solemn commemoration of those lost to preserve our freedom, rather than a jingoistic celebration with cake and ice cream. I don’t get it, personally. If you’re into it then fair enough.

That's Remembrance Day, VE Day is a celebration of the end to hostilities. We are sometimes allowed to be proud of past accompishments.

Capodecina
Soldato
That's Remembrance Day, VE Day is a celebration of the end to hostilities. We are sometimes allowed to be proud of past accompishments.
I think that we have managed to move on from celebrating the Battles of Waterloo, Crecy and Agincourt; the French don't seem to celebrate the Battle of Hastings; I don't think that the Scots celebrate the Battle of Bannockburn - we should think more about the issues that face us in the present day and the future and less about "glories" in the past.

Soldato

It’s hard for me to divorce one from the other. Celebrating the end of hostilities while forgetting the grim human cost of it? So many soldiers never came to terms with what they experienced yet there would be no VE Day without them. A generation totally divorced from the event doing a conga in the street to mark it is just incongruous and crass to me.

Caporegime
It’s hard for me to divorce one from the other. Celebrating the end of hostilities while forgetting the grim human cost of it? So many soldiers never came to terms with what they experienced yet there would be no VE Day without them. A generation totally divorced from the event doing a conga in the street to mark it is just incongruous and crass to me.

I don't think anyone is forgetting the human cost of it. Certainly no one I've ever spoken to has.

I reckon those that bravely sacrificed their lives for our freedom would be overjoyed to see everyone out celebrating what they achieved 75 years later.

Soldato

Britain and the Common Wealth stood alone between June 1940 and June 1941 when Germany declared war on the USSR, in that time we were fully expecting to be invaded and might have been had we not won the Battle of Britain. Yet now we aren't even allowed to celebrate defeating Nazi Germany which was an existential threat to our way of life because lefties find the idea of Patriotism vulgar. Bore off.

Soldato
I reckon those that bravely sacrificed their lives for our freedom would be overjoyed to see everyone out celebrating what they achieved 75 years later.

How many of them were genuinely celebrating VE Day though? In previous years I haven't heard a thing about it - certainly didn't see as many street parties going on. It was an excuse for a party during lockdown - that's as far as most people's consideration for it went.

Soldato
How many of them were genuinely celebrating VE Day though? In previous years I haven't heard a thing about it - certainly didn't see as many street parties going on. It was an excuse for a party during lockdown - that's as far as most people's consideration for it went.

Sometimes with the fast paced treadmill of life this virus has slowed things down so you can now appreciate things and have time to think about things you wouldn't noyhave time for

Soldato
Britain and the Common Wealth stood alone between June 1940 and June 1941 when Germany declared war on the USSR, in that time we were fully expecting to be invaded and might have been had we not won the Battle of Britain. Yet now we aren't even allowed to celebrate defeating Nazi Germany which was an existential threat to our way of life because lefties find the idea of Patriotism vulgar. Bore off.

Righties trying to take away my right to express my opinion whilst leaving room for that of others. Do likewise.

Soldato

It was the 75th anniversary this year so it's a bigger deal, though doubtless people also wanted to sit in their garden and enjoy the nice weather.

Righties trying to take away my right to express my opinion whilst leaving room for that of others. Do likewise.

No one has tried to take your opinion away, there's been no request to get it removed, I've simply responded to it.

Soldato
Not if you're a leftie you you have to slit your wrists at the thought of anything remotely celebratory in our history.

I think we're only allowed to feel shame about our past now. I can't wait to travel abroad next year and tell all the locals at the non-touristy location I visit how I'm not like other Brits and that I didn't vote for Brexit

Soldato
It was the 75th anniversary this year so it's a bigger deal, though doubtless people also wanted to sit in their garden and enjoy the nice weather.

No one has tried to take your opinion away, there's been no request to get it removed, I've simply responded to it.

I didn’t realise “bore off” meant “continue sharing your thoughts in this discussion thread”, must be a regional thing.

Back
Top Bottom