Gangs of London - fans of The Raid and Banshee in here

Soldato
Peaky blinders junior is killing this for me.
He might look like a mean son of a beach, but that accent... I just laughed and didn't make it much beyond the Kingsman choreographed fight. I could really do with a good, gritty drama to sink my teeth into, but this felt like it was trying way too hard. However it took me several tried to get into The Wire, so I may give it another go. One day.

Associate
Finished them all, thought it started strong but just got worse as it went on. Yeah he's accent was ridiculous, especially for a Londoner

thought episode 5 was just silly, cool to watch but that whole arc of the story was terrible, random Danish military squad tearing up the country side lol. And all the stuff with the mysterious investors was a joke too.

The potential was there but I don't think they made the most of it. I'd still watch the second season mind

Caporegime
really well done like how it was shot actually felt a bit of grime in it which makes a change. loved how the travellers were done also realistic. fighting over the top not every one fights like they trained by the sas. think should have made that a bit more realistic not so much jet li meets spetnaz. more brawling as it would be. harry potter guy didnt really fit in for me for much of it. yet the series for the most of it was very enjoyable. look forward to the next one. does kinda remind me of a british banshee show. i understand why its been done. its londons peaky blinders. with peaky blinders getting so much praise and near its end then what better to do a bigger city the biggest in the uk with gangs. its a perfect concept to do bigger.

what was also great to see was the different avenues of gangs and how they interact with society. from a street rat upto the world richest.also the diversity of people involved ethinicity wise.

Caporegime
I thought it was really good, and it's probably the most blood-soaked TV show I've ever seen....I guess maybe Game of Thrones might compete, but this was up there.

Sean was miscast IMO. I never got the sense that he was menacing and his accent was odd - Brought up by two Irish parents in London, would he sound like that?

The rest of the cast were good, and though the fight sequences were pretty unrealistic, and Elliott had the recovery powers of Wolverine I did enjoy the style.

That home invasion in Episode 5 was superb.

Associate
Wasn't particularly interested in this until i read it was created by Gareth Evans, director of The Raid and The Raid 2 and it really shows.

Watched 4 so far and its completely nuts, enjoying it all the same.

Finished this last night, completely unbelievable with over the top fight scenes but very well done and I enjoyed every episode, some miscast characters but does not spoil the enjoyment, kinda reminds me of Banshee for some reason 8/10 overall and looking forward to the next season.

Soldato
It's funny, although ep 5 was good, I rather thought 'so what was the point of that? How does it affect the rest of the story?' and was surprised to see it rated so high on IMDb (9.6 right now). Surely they were a side story at best, that didn't have any relevance at that point? Or am I missing something?

Anyway, agreed with the majority, it was a very good watch :)

D3K

D3K

Soldato
It's funny, although ep 5 was good, I rather thought 'so what was the point of that? How does it affect the rest of the story?' and was surprised to see it rated so high on IMDb (9.6 right now). Surely they were a side story at best, that didn't have any relevance at that point? Or am I missing something?

Anyway, agreed with the majority, it was a very good watch :)
The ****** were technically a 'gang'. That episode was essentially showing how the entire gang got wiped out, and served as an intro to who the hit squad were and what they were capable of.

I thought it was one of the best episodes of the season. Great pacing, setting, and bonkers action. And it didn't end happy like it was leading you to believe it might.

Also sets up the Danish woman's torture scene and leaves you wondering if she deserves mercy or not. Without that episode I would've sided against the Wallaces. But even after seeing she had kids, I thought she deserved everything she got. (also a bit unlikely mum and dad were both merc hitmen trying to live a normal life, but w/e)

edit : ffs the p-word for travellers is banned?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Finished it last night. Series was a 5/10 for me. The action/violence was very well done and made for a great watch, a lot of the stuff inbetween just felt like it was paced all wrong and felt like a load of guff at times. Last episode was probably the worst of the series as well. The first 3-4 episodes were fantastic but it went downhill after that

If they do another series, I doubt I'll bother

Back
Top Bottom