Network Drive Z:// on one computer absent on another

Associate
Hey be great if you could help me !

I've bought a server a while ago to share files between a few computers in my house.

On one computer it comes up as z:// another d:// and I can use the files as another hard disk.

I can't access on two other computers I have unless I go through a laborious webpage which means I can't just use the file I wanted I have to download it to the desktop and upload it again.

I'm using Windows 10 on all computers and I have a

DS115j 6.2-23739 Synology server.

Thanks for your time. I hope you can help :)

:)

Soldato
If you have mapped drives then someone must have mapped them. Google 'windows map drive' for guides on how to do this.

Personally I'd use UNC paths e.g. \\servername\sharename

Raz

Raz

Soldato
If you have mapped drives then someone must have mapped them. Google 'windows map drive' for guides on how to do this.

Can't remember but I think when you first set up the Synology/DSM it creates a mapped drive on the pc you're using (or walks you through it).

Soldato
On your computers with the mapped drives, Z:\ or D:\ in a command window run

Code:
net use

This will show you the path to the network share e.g. \\server\share the drive letter is mapped to.

On the computer you want to map the share to

Code:
net use Z: \\server\share

To remove and add the share on your computer so they all use the same drive letter

Code:
net use Z: /delete

Associate
OP

Brilliant fantastic I googled UNC and came up with https://www.lifewire.com/unc-universal-naming-convention-818230
so got the RUN command thing and typed \\Hammond in to get the server in an normal file box type thing.

Yeah I've no idea how I mapped the drives before, I think it was something to do with Home Networking which isn't in Windows anymore.

Back
Top Bottom