Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Soldato
The snap on stuff is lovely, but is it worth the money over halfords professional that has lifetime warranty? I have the 200pc set and I've pulled RS4 engine. 'box etc. mostly with that set (a few impacts for the air gun added). Whilst I'd love to have the Snap-on stuff, I just can't see the value in it. I suppose it does keep money well...

The value in snap-on comes down to the easiness of it all. I can pick up a grands worth of tools of the van and pay £50 a week no interest. Plus if I break something, I'll likely have it replaced straight away. It is very expensive stuff, some stuff I won't buy in snap-on, but stuff like the impact guns you can't really go wrong with.

I have a Halfords kit too, it's what I started out with as an apprentice some 12 years ago and I still use it now, plus I have another set for home. The quality is still fantastic and I'd recommend it to anyone. It's rare I break any of the bits but if I do it can be a pain having to go across town to get them replaced. Not the end of the world though.

Caporegime
The snap on stuff is lovely, but is it worth the money over halfords professional that has lifetime warranty? I have the 200pc set and I've pulled RS4 engine. 'box etc. mostly with that set (a few impacts for the air gun added). Whilst I'd love to have the Snap-on stuff, I just can't see the value in it. I suppose it does keep money well...

Our fitters at work are full of nothing but praise for it. If something breaks we'll have it delivered same day, no quibbles at all. Ever.

Associate
The value in snap-on comes down to the easiness of it all. I can pick up a grands worth of tools of the van and pay £50 a week no interest. Plus if I break something, I'll likely have it replaced straight away. It is very expensive stuff, some stuff I won't buy in snap-on, but stuff like the impact guns you can't really go wrong with.

I have a Halfords kit too, it's what I started out with as an apprentice some 12 years ago and I still use it now, plus I have another set for home. The quality is still fantastic and I'd recommend it to anyone. It's rare I break any of the bits but if I do it can be a pain having to go across town to get them replaced. Not the end of the world though.

It's just the cost I don't get. I have this impact gun and it's done me fine: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IAC0...d-uk000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp

I've never broken the halfords kit and I've used it a lot on various old audis with very seized on bolts! Ha. I think it's the best value out there...

Associate
IMG-20200509-230435.jpg[img]

Powering a pair of DT 1990 Pro's

Had mine the best part of a couple of months now and still learning my way through the features, love it. Hope it gives you the same enjoyment.

Soldato
Having problem playing PS4 with a controller I found these and thought I buy it so I can get around to play The Last of Us among others. It's an controller so you can use mouse and keyboard. So instead of using a normal sized keyboard I bought a very small one, which covers all the functions that the Tin200 'converts' from controller to keyboard. And since I needed new keyboard and mouse to use the converter anyway, they were also of the same brand to make sure maximum compatibility. And a mega mouse mat thrown in there as well for good measure.

Only problem is... I started playing Mass Effect before I got the goods and now 'addictive' to that game so be a while before using these. :o :p

fAPsmgj.jpg
Ooh that's interesting, I'm always in search of the perfect sofa/lap keyboard and mouse setup. Have looked at those half keyboard things but never tried one. Let us know how it is!

Caporegime
Draper socket sets won't stand up to much. I mean if you're driving screw and allen heads with a ratchet then it's probably fine, you'll just be chewing up bolts instead :p

It depends on the jobs you're doing. As mentioned Bahco are really good quality for small and compact sets, I carry one around with me at work.

Personally I'd buy a Halfords 200pc socket set and never buy another one again.

While I agree with that sentiment....what kicked this off is...let's start in the beginning.

This nut on my guitar comes loose every once in a while and all I do up to now is use my fingertips to tighten it.

ySUJlTk.jpg

They make a single tool to tighten this for £13.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/allparts_...-j4GrkqbwfZj5N8BeytvxXiYfu-nXTqAaAk29EALw_wcB

So spending a little more in a tool set (like £30_ is acceptable and more useful, but buying a 200 piece Halfords or a Snap-On set? lol I think that's overkill.

I started with 1 nut, and we are talking about a £6k socket set, i might as well buy a new guitar, or several new guitars lol :p

Soldato
Infamous telecaster jack cup nut
Those are famous for coming loose, there's a special tool to hold the inner jack socket while you tighten the nut. To avoid twisting the wires. But the real problem is, it's fixed onto a little metal plate which bites into the wood. The plate deforms over time. Upgrade to an Electrosocket jack cup and all your problems will go away :cool:

*Except your socket set purchasing ones.

Associate
What model is it?
It's an RME ADI-2 dac, although not sure if it's the ak4490 or ak4493 dac chip model. Newer ones are the later, no difference in sound just one extra filter and a newer remote.

To be fair the poorly lit photo does show one of its most entertaining features, it's spectral analyser. Also the main reason I know what he's bought.

Last edited:
Soldato
That looks great, i never knew you could get an adapter like that for the console.
Might have to get myself one of those as I’m terrible with joypads when aiming.

Ooh that's interesting, I'm always in search of the perfect sofa/lap keyboard and mouse setup. Have looked at those half keyboard things but never tried one. Let us know how it is!

Well, might take a while before I start using it since as I mentioned, got a bit tied up with Mass Effect for the moment. But as soon as I opened and connected the stuff and played some I let you know. :)

Might take a couple weeks though ! :p

Caporegime
Those are famous for coming loose, there's a special tool to hold the inner jack socket while you tighten the nut. To avoid twisting the wires. But the real problem is, it's fixed onto a little metal plate which bites into the wood. The plate deforms over time. Upgrade to an Electrosocket jack cup and all your problems will go away :cool:

*Except your socket set purchasing ones.

Or I guess I could superglue the edges around it now...

Man of Honour
It's just the cost I don't get. I have this impact gun and it's done me fine: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IAC0...d-uk000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp

I've never broken the halfords kit and I've used it a lot on various old audis with very seized on bolts! Ha. I think it's the best value out there...

Snap-on tools have a smaller footprint compared to the competition, which most people don't realise or care about.

Sometimes that extra millimeter or two clearance makes all the difference on hard to reach fasteners

Soldato

But when you're using it all day long it's a bit different, getting dropped and abused it wouldn't stand up to it. When you're dealing with very tight subframe bolts, hub bolts, crankshaft pulley bolts etc, you need every bit of power you can get too. My snap-on gun has got a lot of my colleagues out of trouble when their guns can't touch something.

Home/DIY use is totally different though.

Soldato
I used to use Snapon, but I prefer Beta tools these days. The quality is up there, the tools are serviceable and the price is good if you have a friendly dealer like I do.

The Halfords stuff is OK I guess, but not if you depend on your tools to make a living.

Associate
Indeed! The number of features on this box of tricks is a little overwhelming at first!

Out of interest, what headphones are you using with it?

Nothing exotic, but I've been using it with hd650's, grado sr325i, he4xx, and dt880 (600ohm). It's been flawless with all of them, and the loudness and crossfeed functions have been really enjoyable for me.

Back
Top Bottom