Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Soldato
Yeah it's top stuff, I just like to make sure I'm not missing out. Take warzone for example I can hear things my friends can't on their setups first on several occasion's, I can spin round and near enough shoot people parachuting in just by the audio soundstage.

Shankly, what's this setting you use for music, setting it to 24bit removes the windows 7.1 surround setting each time though?

Soldato
OP
Yeah it's top stuff, I just like to make sure I'm not missing out. Take warzone for example I can hear things my friends can't on their setups first on several occasion's, I can spin round and near enough shoot people parachuting in just by the audio soundstage.

Shankly, what's this setting you use for music, setting it to 24bit removes the windows 7.1 surround setting each time though?

Sadly yes you loose 7.1 in 24bit mode
It's a bloody pain setting it back to 7.1 or 24bit stereo it's really one of the downside of the unit tbh

A more powerful GSX would have 7.1 work in 24bit mode hopefully it happens.

C64

C64

Soldato
Best set up is surely external soundcard with software features you want to use + external dac and amp ?

you get the best of both worlds with no chance of emi etc ?

it made no sense to me to see a guy with a decent soundcard and modi magni setup then buy a gsx 1000 or am i alone ?

C64

C64

Soldato
A big problem is the actual games audio I find isn't being coded well.
Warzones is a mess doesn't matter if I am on stereo or 7.1 dolby headphone it can be messed up.

Associate
i finded the problem, the splitter 3.5, for any reason mixed the audio between mic and sound, sending all pc audio through the mic, i conect a sennheiser game zero and the problem is gone

Soldato
Soldato
Hey guys, saw this thread and noticed the was a firmware update that fixes the startup issue on USB3, but when I went to run it it showed this:

gsx1000.png

Am I going mad here? It's saying that the new version it wants to install is older than the one currently installed? :S

Soldato
OP
Hey guys, saw this thread and noticed the was a firmware update that fixes the startup issue on USB3, but when I went to run it it showed this:

gsx1000.png

Am I going mad here? It's saying that the new version it wants to install is older than the one currently installed? :S

Mine doesn't show the 844 version. I believe Sennheiser doesn't offer the 844 by firmware anymore least what I have been told. So the latest available version is still 808
76027054eae2d42f92292c4ca4e239f6244552cb3037bcf7e8dee8819adbf8a6305027d5.jpg

Man of Honour
Warzones is a mess doesn't matter if I am on stereo or 7.1 dolby headphone it can be messed up.

Have you tried messing with the ingame audio settings BTW? the game supports all kind of different audio profiles and output modes some of which aren't very compatible with external virtual surround.

Soldato
Question for other users:

How important do you find the input capabilities of the GSX, rather than output?

Do you even use a mike plugged in to the GSX? Or some other approach?

The reason I ask is because I like to sometimes game with headset, sometimes with speakers - even when playing with friends. This means that ideally I need the ability to swap between the mike on my headset and a desk mike.

At the moment, I achieve this by having a 3.5mm splitter to the GSX mike input, and two microphones (both mutable) attached to that. The problem with this setup is that the desk mike is fairly crap and I'm struggling to find a good, mutable, 3.5mm desk mike to replace it.

There are loads of well thought of USB desk mikes available, but of course this would mean they weren't using the GSX at all. Hence the question.

I guess it would also cause issues with switching easily though - as the headset mike would still be through the GSX. Unless I stopped using the headset mike at all, and used the desk one even when gaming with the headset?

As you can see by that stream of consciousness, I'm really struggling to decide the best solution!

Soldato
OK, no-one seems to be able to help with that question (it is a bit niche!) so I'll ask a different one:

Does everyone use the alternative device "Headset earphone (GSX 1000 communication device)" for voice comms programs like Discord?

In theory the advantage of this is that you can then use the wheel on the side of the unit to adjust voice volume. But I find that it only works if you are using your headset. If you switch to speakers, it stops outputting anything sent to that device name.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this the same for everyone?

Soldato
OP
OK, no-one seems to be able to help with that question (it is a bit niche!) so I'll ask a different one:

Does everyone use the alternative device "Headset earphone (GSX 1000 communication device)" for voice comms programs like Discord?

In theory the advantage of this is that you can then use the wheel on the side of the unit to adjust voice volume. But I find that it only works if you are using your headset. If you switch to speakers, it stops outputting anything sent to that device name.

I use communication device for discord etc but I don't use speakers.

Soldato

In an attempt to get an answer to this, I contacted Sennheiser support. The reply might be useful for others:
The headphone amp you have enquired about, the GSX1000 is part of a group of products which belong to a division that has de-merged from Sennheiser.

The products are still branded Sennheiser but under license to a separate company EPOS Audio.

EPOS audio handle all sales and support (including warranty) for these products, and Sennheiser have no access to the products or information about them.

Associate

When you use speakers the mic input does not work I believe. I don't generally use the mic input on the GSX 1000 as it is so compressed and ruins a perfectly good mic, even sennheisers own game one headset. I use a usb mic but still have my modmic plugged into the GSX. When my usb mic isn't plugged in Windows defaults to the fax. When I want to use the usb mic I just plug it in and everything switches to that.

Soldato
Cheers, that is useful!

I can confirm that Epos replied to tell me that the mic input switches off automatically when using speakers to avoid feedback. I can say that I don't think that's necessary - since I get around this by pointing the mic at the standard rather than voice specific input and I've never had resultant feedback issues.

But given that I can't find a 3.5mm mic that's decent and has it's own on/off/volume switch I think I'm going to go down a very similar road to you and get a separate USB mic. This will also open me up to the tempting possibility of replacing my Steelseries Siberia v2's with a better headset with no integral mic.

Back
Top Bottom