Been Delivered some Timber with splits in it - return?

Associate
Had a timber pole delivered with a large split down it which made me a little concerned.

This isn't the company we ordered from, but online a similar company has a page stating this:

Whilst these can appear quite large and alarming, these cracks DO NOT affect the strength, integrity and durability of the play equipment. The splits and cracks happen because timber is a natural product and is a living material, and through the year the wood expands and contracts, often meaning quite large cracks appear in hot, dry weather, and then close up in the wetter, winter months.

here: https://www.caledoniaplay.com/2017/05/10/splits-cracks-timber-no-need-concern/

Please note this is NOT the company we ordered from, just a similar company that sells garden play equipment etc. On that page shows some quite large splits in the timber and I'm just curious to know if this is genuine or a company ploy to get less return requests.

It looks similar in depth and length to the cracks on the last image on the page I linked above.

Would you return it or is it worrying about nothing?

Soldato
Because tape and timber are the same?
if wood has a crack in it, unless the wood binds its self back together then how can something with quite large open cracks in the wood not affect its strength? sure itll still be strong enough more than likely for the purpose you want it for..

Soldato
if wood has a crack in it, unless the wood binds its self back together then how can something with quite large open cracks in the wood not affect its strength? sure itll still be strong enough more than likely for the purpose you want it for..

Wood is continually moving as it tries to reach equilibrium with its environment, these splits don't affect its structural integrity, if anything these splits help maintain the strength of the timber by releasing tension.

Permabanned
i'd be sending it back .. or use it for firewood ..
so a split along one side off timber running the full length will be just as good as one without ? no/yes .. if it has a downward force tip to toe fine prob be ok
if it has a force pushing to or from the crack then it will split .. depending on the force used

Soldato
It's natural timber which splits and opens up over time. Whilst a picture would be useful I'd have no concern about a split like the attached link.

The point you are referencing in the link is more referencing it doesn't affect the strength / integrity of the play equipment as opposed to an individual piece of wood being slightly weaker with a crack than without. The equipment will be designed for the wood to take a certain amount of force and even with the crack it'll be in excess of this.

Permabanned
It will most certainly affect the strength characteristics of the timber. Will it make enough of a difference to be a hazard? Very much doubt it. These things will be very over engineered in terms of the forces involved.

Soldato
It's just the nature of wood. I personally love all that kinda stuff. I recently bought oak sleepers to build a wall and they had countless cracks and splits in them. I wanted it that way because I think it can look great. And I kinda like the idea of little bugs finding a home in it. (obviously not woodworm haha)

Soldato
If you're not happy send it back under distance selling if they refuse to take it back as faulty but there is no guarantee the replacement will not have cracks in the same.

Caporegime
how long do these wooden poles last?

I guess its a long time 10-20+ years but eventually the split rots? or are they treated with something

Back
Top Bottom