Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
yes - and the answer is far too much. It was reasonable a while back but three years of massive price hikes and I'm forked. They are supposed to be able to price adjust for RPI but these have far exceeded RPI - 10%+ per year is more common. It's a joke.

Soldato
Question. Does anyone just have 100 or 200mb with no TV or phone? Just wondering what you're paying?

I'm debating dropping down from 350mb and with the saving getting an FTTC line as a backup, as VM is dog-egg bad for gaming. This way can run multi-WAN and use policy based routing for gaming, and keep the VM for the family who are less fussed about latency. Plus added advantage of a backup connection the next time VM goes down.
A poor gaming experience is exactly why I left Virgin. I was contemplating getting an additional FTTC connection just for gaming because it was that bad. Fortunately Openreach had started installing fibre on my road, and Virgin were putting their prices up. So I left penalty free and went with BT. It's been a much better more stable service for gaming, and my ping dropped by about 30ms pretty much all over.

Check the Openreach build map to see when or if they might be working in your area.

Soldato
Question. Does anyone just have 100 or 200mb with no TV or phone? Just wondering what you're paying?

I'm debating dropping down from 350mb and with the saving getting an FTTC line as a backup, as VM is dog-egg bad for gaming. This way can run multi-WAN and use policy based routing for gaming, and keep the VM for the family who are less fussed about latency. Plus added advantage of a backup connection the next time VM goes down.

Is VM really that bad for gaming? They have just finished installing their cables on my street and i am very tempted to sign up with them but not if it's going to have a detrimental affect on my gaming and increasing my latency.

Associate
Well regarding pings with my first hand experience, when i was with virgin media cable fiber i had pings at best like 40-50ms ish, and left them because of the ping for gaming that is and went with zen and now i get like 10-20ms which is better.

Also zen don't hike their prices up unlike virgin media plus there customer service is good enough for my liking.

But i do miss somewhat the download speed of virgin but am not too bothered about it.

Is VM really that bad for gaming? They have just finished installing their cables on my street and i am very tempted to sign up with them but not if it's going to have a detrimental affect on my gaming and increasing my latency.

c88cb23c4ae0decb1c4b42d9128c09a81b3bfb93-12-05-2020.png

That's the last 24 hours.

Caporegime

I'm in the same boat, I get 10ms ping at the moment on a gfast connection. Triple the speed would be nice but not at the cost of tripled latency!

Soldato

c88cb23c4ae0decb1c4b42d9128c09a81b3bfb93-12-05-2020.png

That's the last 24 hours.

As always, it depends on your area. Here's mine for comparison:

The ping spikes around mid afternoon are just me uploading a ton of data to my offsite backup (out of band backup, they're normally scheduled for overnight). My lad games all bloody day long and he's never had a single issue. Good local networking equipment helps.

Soldato
Just had a leaflet from Cityfibre drop through my letterbox saying they are about to come and install a full 1000Gbps fibre to the home connections in my street!

Which is interesting because the cable company left out my street when the fibre network was being laid on the estate 20yrs ago because we are an isolated cul de sac, which was later taken over by Virgin Media.

I used to have the 200Mbit Virgin fibre connection in my old address and have really missed it and was quite annoyed to find out it wasn't available at my current address despite the post code checker saying it was.

Soldato
Just had a leaflet from Cityfibre drop through my letterbox saying they are about to come and install a full 1000Gbps fibre to the home connections in my street!

Which is interesting because the cable company left out my street when the fibre network was being laid on my estate 20yrs ago, which was later taken over by Virgin Media.

I used to have the 200Mbit Virgin fibre connection in my old address and have really missed it and was quite annoyed to find out it wasn't available at my current address despite the post code checker saying it was.

Lucky boy. I'd give body parts for FTTP. If it wasn't for having a family I'd be living in Scandanavia or Iceland by now with 10Gb fibre for £30 a month.

Associate
hub2.5. They sent me the hub3 but I dug out a hub2.5 to avoid the packet loss and latency spikes. Do not surrender your hub 2 under any circumstances!

But post above is correct, to get >200mbs you need hub3. I'd rather have 200 and stability though.

Got a text message today, it implies that an installer has to come into the house to perform the ‘upgrade’ I assumed from the email that they would just send the new hub by courier or something? I’m guessing they will have to manually install the new hub and then attempt to take away the old 2.0 hub? It’s their property so they can i guess, some reviews online suggest the hub 3 has been firmware updated so maybe it’s ok.

will see how I get on with the hub 3 since it’s needed for 350 and if it’s bad then go for a separate router With the hub in modem mode

anyone managed to get the new 4.0 hub?

Associate
The performance you get from VM is the same as the other providers - pot luck.
If the area is provided by a poor network, or you are using poor quality equipment - then you will likely have problems.
I wouldnt let another persons problems put you off - try and get some feedback from others in your area using their service (better than some random off the internet living 300 miles away).

I have been happy with my VM speeds and my ping when gaming is low, so cant complain.
Expensive though, but I cannot get FTTP yet - annoyingly they get it 1 mile from where I live.....so maybe soon (I hope)

Soldato
No issues at all here on VM, gigabit connection, have around 10ms ping in games.

Back
Top Bottom