Gamers, What's Your Audio Set Up?

Caporegime
I live alone and in a detached house so i use a Denon 7:1 amp and various types of speakers i seem to have a habit of blowing up.

that would be great for single player or non competitive play. but i imagine headphones are far superior for competitive online play.

i also have a decent speaker setup in the living room but I would never dream of gaming on it other than single player.

Soldato
I've had a bit of journey with mine:

Setup 1: Astro Mixamp 5.8 > Beyerdynamic DT990 > Antlion mod mic - This was a fantastic setup great soundstage and solid bass from the Beyers even with them being an open backed set of headphones. I then decided to try some Denon D7100 which were fairly similar, but a slightly reduced soundstage and tighter bass. I also used some Sennheiser HD650's with this and some Audeze LCD2's. The latter of which was my favourite, but I just couldn't justify keeping such an expensive pair of headphones for gaming.

Setup 2: Decided to go for a console friendly setup with less wires, as whilst the mixamp 5.8 was wireless, it still needed a mic cable and chat cable for the PS4, I went with the Arcits Pro Wireless which have been great but I have now started gaming on PC again, so have just ordered

Setup 3: Hyperx Cloud Orbit (essentially Audeze Mobius, without the bluetooth or 3d head tracking) which I hope will be somewhere close to the LCD2's (arriving Thursday)

Associate
The sound setup for my Xbox1/HTPC/PS4 is as follows:

-Denon X7200WA AV receiver
-Arcam P7 power amplifier
-M&K Sound S150 MK2 LCR speakers
-M&K Sound CS29 column tripole surround speakers
-Monitor Audio in ceiling speakers (for Atmos. Soon to be replaced by M&K)
-SVS PB4000 subwoofer

96433223_10216109579640284_5505714273185169408_n.jpg

96582633_10216109580040294_7170847268206018560_n.jpg

Associate
HyperX Cloud II for gaming - Good sound for the money and comfortable for extended use. And visually pleasing; not too many colours, lights and extra plastics like some 'gaming' headsets.

HRT Microstreamer DAC to Onkyo CR-315 minisystem for general use, or Bose QC35. I used to use AKG 550 headphones, but the earpads disintegrated and I'm hesitant to buy replacement ones as most reviews say they degrade the sound quality and you can't get genuine replacements.

Soldato
Creative X7 to AKG Q701

That's my day to day gaming setup with a nano yeti premium mic on a boom arm.

I also for gaming use my hd700 when I can be bothered getting them out the box.

I also have hd600 for music use and dt770 if someone else is in the room

@Psycho Sonny sounds like a good set up. What boom arm do you use for the yeti nano? How do you find the setup, does it work well, any issues?

Caporegime
@Psycho Sonny sounds like a good set up. What boom arm do you use for the yeti nano? How do you find the setup, does it work well, any issues?

I bought one off amazon it's a cheap chinese one was like £10-£15 I can't remember.

The only issue is my mechanical keyboard is too loud. The mic picks it up even with settings turned up high before it transmits.

Ideally I should have bought a membrane keyboard. Modern gaming membranes are actually just as good. You can press up to 10 keys at the same time before they fail.

Soldato
I bought one off amazon it's a cheap chinese one was like £10-£15 I can't remember.

The only issue is my mechanical keyboard is too loud. The mic picks it up even with settings turned up high before it transmits.

Ideally I should have bought a membrane keyboard. Modern gaming membranes are actually just as good. You can press up to 10 keys at the same time before they fail.

Thanks for the reply. Ah, I thought keyboard clatter might be an issue with games, think I’ll go with a Modmic.

Caporegime
Thanks for the reply. Ah, I thought keyboard clatter might be an issue with games, think I’ll go with a Modmic.

I thought keyboards will have improved over time. If anything they have gotten louder - mechanical ones that is.

I just bought a £120 - Razer hunstman elite tenkeyless. To upgrade from a bargain £50 one I bought 5 years or so back. If anything it's twice as loud. They need to really focus on making these silent. I have heard of so called silent keys but truth is they aren't anything but.

I will try and adjust my discord settings but only so much you can do if your keyboard is that noisy.

Soldato
Yeah, I think the noise is part of the appeal for many. Have you looked in to O rings, they could help if your keyboard does not already have them.

Associate
I thought keyboards will have improved over time. If anything they have gotten louder - mechanical ones that is.

I just bought a £120 - Razer hunstman elite tenkeyless. To upgrade from a bargain £50 one I bought 5 years or so back. If anything it's twice as loud. They need to really focus on making these silent. I have heard of so called silent keys but truth is they aren't anything but.

It's not so much that mechanical keyboards have got louder but that people have got used to the (low) noise of membrane keyboards. I remember the IBM AT keyboard used to be really loud back in the day.

Mechanical keyboards are an addiction. I started off with a Filco Majestouch-2 (£125) and ended up custom-ordering a CODE keyboard from the USA ($226.33, gulp). Still, I think it's worth it for something I use every day. Having said that, some membrane keyboards are horrible (Dells for example), but I think that some (Logitech K120 for example) are just fine.

In your case, is it the switch that makes most noise or is it the keycaps bottoming out? If the former, there are a bewildering number of switches available from Cherry and others with a range of spring strengths and tactile feedback. If the latter, you can buy O-rings that cushion the impact and reduce the noise. I ended up buying a Cherry MX sampler so that I could try all their switches. I tend to bash the keyboard, so the MX Brown switches on the Filco were bottoming out. I ended up ordering MX Clear switches and red O-rings for my CODE keyboard.

Oh, my audio setup used to be Sennheiser PC 360 and Asus Xonar Essence STX, now Audeze Mobius.

Last edited:
Soldato
Recently bought a topping D30 Dac, a JDS Labs Atom Amp, I was ordering a pair of Sennheiser HD 599SE but my brother in law gave me a pair of the non SE variant and in the cream.

Before this i had a pair of AKG 712PRO which i kept but looking back they are no where near as comfy as the sennies and the positional audio IMO, is not so great either.

I had a Creative G6 which was good once you turned off the fancy stuff, but i had an issue with it causing in game like delays/lag effect.

The combination now is far superior again IMO, i use stereo no DTS or sonic spatial stuff, Apex legends i can now hear people and pinpoint their locations much better. To the point where initially i thought nagh there is no one there, but then they appeared from behind a wall, and i now trust the setup fully to find enemies.
I had to find a working USB driver for the DaC but managed to do so and all is good.

Currently using a Fifine HJ670 desk mic which is decent enough for my needs currently.

Soldato
It's not so much that mechanical keyboards have got louder but that people have got used to the (low) noise of membrane keyboards. I remember the IBM AT keyboard used to be really loud back in the day.

Probably because it was a mechanical keyboard, I remember having one with my green screen IBM and a lot of them were mechanical back in the day. Mechanical keyboards are nothing new been around for donkeys years.

Back
Top Bottom