Football and the Coronavirus

Don
LOL. How many turned up without tickets and forced their way in?

There were people that got in without tickets as they were allowed to walk in, showing a blue flyer that was given out on the street. There was a crush involving supporters, almost entirely with tickets, due to limited turnstiles trying to get thousands of supporters into the stadium. If I remember correctly, I believe the Athens stadium had around 10% of the turnstiles that Anfield or other PL grounds have.

But answering your question, I'm sure a minority of supporters will try to celebrate outside the stadium. That I'm sure would be similar if x avoided relegation too though. Hopefully only small enough numbers that stewarding can control and with the help of the police, quickly clear.

Soldato
LOL. How many turned up without tickets and forced their way in?

There were people that got in without tickets as they were allowed to walk in, showing a blue flyer that was given out on the street. There was a crush involving supporters, almost entirely with tickets, due to limited turnstiles trying to get thousands of supporters into the stadium. If I remember correctly, I believe the Athens stadium had around 10% of the turnstiles that Anfield or other PL grounds have.

But answering your question, I'm sure a minority of supporters will try to celebrate outside the stadium. That I'm sure would be similar if x avoided relegation too though. Hopefully only small enough numbers that stewarding can control and with the help of the police, quickly clear.
Re read my post I said “tried to force”, I remember watching it and would say it was about 100. I was actually in favour of neutral grounds to stop this happening.

Don
Re read my post I said “tried to force”, I remember watching it and would say it was about 100. I was actually in favour of neutral grounds to stop this happening.
I'm not sure you remembered so well then. A lot of these 'supporters' got in - there were lots of fake tickets that were little more than blue flyers being given out and no checks were being made on the turnstiles. The crush that happened shortly before the game kicked off was primarily down to too few turnstiles to handle the amount of supporters entering the stadium - football stadiums usually have far more turnstiles as supporters typically only arrive shortly before kick-off, in this case the stadium wasn't geared up for football. But anyway, there were a number of supporters that got in one way or another without genuine tickets or tried to get in and I'd say it was more than 100 too.

I could understand the logic of holding matches at neutral venues and I'm sure there will be Liverpool supporters that do decide to turn up at Anfield - Anfield is in a residential area, these people won't even need to travel. Providing the clubs and police are confident that they'll be able to stop people from congregating then I don't see too much of a problem. I don't think you'll see mass crowds gather, at best it migth be people stood on their door step or hanging out 1st floor windows to cheer the team coach as it arrives or leaves.

I also don't expect there to be a huge celebration when the title is finally, officially won. Even had it been won under normal circumstances, because of how far we're ahead and everybody knowing it's won for such a long time, I don't think there would have been the same level of emotion as winning a cup final or even the Barca semi final. I think any mega celebration would have been saved for an open top bus tour once the season was over. I had hoped that would have still been possible late in the summer but clearly not now. I'd actually now be in favour of Liverpool not actually being presented the title until supporters are in the stadium - save the moment for the first game back with crowds and then have the bus tour the next day. In some ways it might make it more special.

edit: Unlikely but I wonder whether the PL initially put forward neutral grounds to allow the bottom sides to hang themselves. Get them to nail there colours to the sporting integrity argument and then resolve it, leaving them no where to go.

Soldato
I'm not sure you remembered so well then. A lot of these 'supporters' got in - there were lots of fake tickets that were little more than blue flyers being given out and no checks were being made on the turnstiles. The crush that happened shortly before the game kicked off was primarily down to too few turnstiles to handle the amount of supporters entering the stadium - football stadiums usually have far more turnstiles as supporters typically only arrive shortly before kick-off, in this case the stadium wasn't geared up for football. But anyway, there were a number of supporters that got in one way or another without genuine tickets or tried to get in and I'd say it was more than 100 too.

I could understand the logic of holding matches at neutral venues and I'm sure there will be Liverpool supporters that do decide to turn up at Anfield - Anfield is in a residential area, these people won't even need to travel. Providing the clubs and police are confident that they'll be able to stop people from congregating then I don't see too much of a problem. I don't think you'll see mass crowds gather, at best it migth be people stood on their door step or hanging out 1st floor windows to cheer the team coach as it arrives or leaves.

I also don't expect there to be a huge celebration when the title is finally, officially won. Even had it been won under normal circumstances, because of how far we're ahead and everybody knowing it's won for such a long time, I don't think there would have been the same level of emotion as winning a cup final or even the Barca semi final. I think any mega celebration would have been saved for an open top bus tour once the season was over. I had hoped that would have still been possible late in the summer but clearly not now. I'd actually now be in favour of Liverpool not actually being presented the title until supporters are in the stadium - save the moment for the first game back with crowds and then have the bus tour the next day. In some ways it might make it more special.

edit: Unlikely but I wonder whether the PL initially put forward neutral grounds to allow the bottom sides to hang themselves. Get them to nail there colours to the sporting integrity argument and then resolve it, leaving them no where to go.
As I said I remember watching it, about 100 fans tried to storm the stadium after the match started
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-champions-final-clash-idUKL2368556920070523
If you think 1000s of Liverpool fans won’t turn up to the stadium the day you win the league, then you either don’t know your own fans very well or your deluded. Feel free to call me out over it the day it happens, I will hold my hands up if I’m wrong but I very much doubt I will be.

Don
As I said I remember watching it, about 100 fans tried to storm the stadium after the match started
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-champions-final-clash-idUKL2368556920070523
If you think 1000s of Liverpool fans won’t turn up to the stadium the day you win the league, then you either don’t know your own fans very well or your deluded. Feel free to call me out over it the day it happens, I will hold my hands up if I’m wrong but I very much doubt I will be.
My info came from dozens of fans, with tickets that were there. The crush happened before the game had kicked off and lots of supporters with tickets didn't make it into the ground.

And if we were allowed to bet on here, I'd happily bet with you that 1000s of supporters won't turn up. Some undoubtedly will but 1000s won't and I'm sure stewarding and police would stop any number getting to the stadium.

Soldato
My info came from dozens of fans, with tickets that were there. The crush happened before the game had kicked off and lots of supporters with tickets didn't make it into the ground.

And if we were allowed to bet on here, I'd happily bet with you that 1000s of supporters won't turn up. Some undoubtedly will but 1000s won't and I'm sure stewarding and police would stop any number getting to the stadium.
Ok I will take that, I bet you £10 to a charity(Not breaking forum rules) of your choice that a sizeable crowd easily over a 1000 turns up to celebrate Liverpool wining the league. If you win I will donate and then send you confirmation and visversa

Don
lol no problem. How are we calculating how many people turn up at the stadium and do supporters, in a densely populated residential area, stood on their doorstep count?

Soldato
lol no problem. How are we calculating how many people turn up at the stadium and do supporters, in a densely populated residential area, stood on their doorstep count?
Tell you what we will let the news decide, And if they don’t give a possible figure we will put it to the forum in a vote. How about that a little bit of lighthearted fun?

Soldato
Ok I will take that, I bet you £10 to a charity(Not breaking forum rules) of your choice that a sizeable crowd easily over a 1000 turns up to celebrate Liverpool wining the league. If you win I will donate and then send you confirmation and visversa

Even if it were played at a natural venue, people would still go out into the City to celebrate. As they would at any club tbh.

Caporegime
Liverpool winning the league has been on the cards for months. There wont be mass gatherings, they arent stupid.
Of course there will be. People mass gathered outside McDonald’s just for a final Big Mac before closing. If they do it for that, you can guarantee a lot of football fans who have been waiting over 30 years for a title will gather to celebrate it.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.

Don
I think we cut the "stupid" comments out, especially from those that have a history of making stupid comments of their own. We'll wait and see whether mass crowds gather at Anfield and we're certain to find out because it's certain that Liverpool will win the title.

Soldato
I think we cut the "stupid" comments out, especially from those that have a history of making stupid comments of their own. We'll wait and see whether mass crowds gather at Anfield and we're certain to find out because it's certain that Liverpool will win the title.
It won’t just be Anfield it will be the whole city

Caporegime
Yes, and if we do see large crowds, will we actually be allowed to criticise them, or is that only allowed for other teams supporters?

Back
Top Bottom