Gay men murdered by being pushed off cliffs in Australia

Soldato
...Australia.

It's now estimated up to 80 gay men were murdered by homophobic gangs in and around Sydney in the late 1980s - with many pushed off cliffs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-52627955

Has anyone heard about this before? Sounds like something that would take place in one of those countries that seem to be positively medieval in their application of religious fundamentalism, rather than the country that embraced ABBA!

Soldato
OP
There was a mini series on TV a few years ago about this called Deep Water its worth a watch

Interesting. I saw the article on the BBC news site and for something so extreme I was a bit surprised that I couldn't recall hearing about it before. Although it does sound as though it was ignored/hushed up for a long time. 80 murders including throwing people off of cliffs and the authorities didn't realise it was happening? Blimey. :eek:

Soldato
I read an editorial piece about this a good few months ago. I can't remember for sure, but that was likely on the BBC site too. There was some suggestion that it wasn't that the police of the time were entirely unaware, more that they were uninterested in investigating it.

It's not the full detail I remember, but there is more info in this older piece:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46565964

Caporegime
I read an editorial piece about this a good few months ago. I can't remember for sure, but that was likely on the BBC site too. There was some suggestion that it wasn't that the police of the time were entirely unaware, more that they were uninterested in investigating it.

It's not the full detail I remember, but there is more info in this older piece:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-46565964

Sounds more likely. Wouldn't be the first time a blind eye was turned. Won't be the last.

Soldato
Australia is about 30 years behind the UK in terms of social thinking.

I think that may still be the case in some of the more remote areas (bogans etc) but most of the educated metropolitan types are no different to any other western european, In fact the ones I've worked with have been far more sensitive than the brits.

Soldato
I cannot imagine someone doing that. They must have a very sick mind.

Did the person who got arrested in the BBC article come forward himself or did he have to be tracked down by the police?

Soldato
Australia is about 30 years behind the UK in terms of social thinking.

This!

I went for a 2 week holiday to Australia, it's a hole! Hated every minute of it. Mainly the people. They all come across as *********.

I'd love to say the country was nice it's just the people, but I didn't even like the country.

It really did remind me of the 1970s.

Maybe it's the geographical location, I mean they are a bit stuck out the way.

Koalas are cool though.

Back
Top Bottom