• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake thread

Soldato
Even the Core i3 CPUs will be close to the Core i7 7700K.

That's exactly the point. Intel held back for years to rob their customers blind. Cashing in on their customers gullibility. Treating us like fools.

Then all of a sudden, the i3 performs like an i7? That's not good, is a huge scandal! That's not even taking into account the way they blackmailed manufacturers to stop selling AMD products.

Releasing good products now will never make up for the past. Their CEO will have to knock on my door and beg me. Even then I'll tell him where to stick it.

I don't care how much they drop their prices either.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's either a general lack of understanding about architecture by a vocal few on here or either they're being intentionally obtuse. A lot of the comments in this thread have little merit.

For example; look at the fabricated surprise and awe at the 10core running those temps on a 240 AIO. What is the expectation these people had when a 9900k exhibits similar behavior? Now add 2 more cores to the same node and architecture, what exactly are they expecting?

I mentioned a while back in this thread about how intel could improve on the thermal density vs the 9900k. Same crowd thought those notions to be laughable. Now we learn intel is doing just that.

I just don't understand how some of the membership who have been here for many years with thousand of posts are unable to learn anything useful along the way and drag out the same tropes?

Although I think AMD Ryzen offers a more rounded product for my purposes,I have pointed out for years Intel is still ahead due to a combination of better latency,higher overclocked headroom and games being better optimised for Intel ring bus CPUs. AMD has to generally brute force things - it might get better when the new consoles get more traction,but this is the market currently.

Its less than that of my wife's 3600 non-X type.
Hers isn't even tuned, its jus throw in the box with a stock amd cooler and left to its own devices.
Scores 480 single and 3540 multi.
That's within range but still the 3600 is 10% in both single and multi, and I'll bet doesn't cost as many watts.
Intel will need massive price cuts if you've to buy a cooler and mobo for these.

I just went by what the article said - it will be interesting to see where gaming performance is. AFAIK,the 6C/12T Core i7 8700K and Ryzen 7 3700X tend to trade blows in reviews.

That's exactly the point. Intel held back for years to rob their customers blind. Cashing in on their customers gullibility. Treating us like fools.

Then all of a sudden, the i3 performs like an i7? That's not good, is a huge scandal! That's not even taking into account the way they blackmailed manufacturers to stop selling AMD products.

Releasing good products now will never make up for the past. Their CEO will have to knock on my door and beg me. Even then I'll tell him where to stick it.

I don't care how much they drop their prices either.

Yes I am quite aware of Intel tactics. What put me off them finally is when at Skylake they artifically blocked Xeon E3 CPUs from consumer sockets. These were Core i7 CPUs for well under £200,but branded differently,and they got so greedy they couldn't let it pass. Then the whole blocking of overclocking on H series and B series chipsets,etc.

However,even AMD when they got to the top last time they did stuff like socket 754,quadFX,held back on the Phenom to sell more Athlon X2s,etc. So as much as I prefer AMD and have given them my custom this generation,don't ever think they won't pull the same stunts Intel will,as they have in the past. If not the accountants and shareholders in the company will be looking at Intel and Nvidia tactics(which obviously make them a lot of money),and ask why AMD isn't doing this. Some of the biggest shareholders in AMD,Intel and Nvidia are a group of large investment funds,who no doubt can have sway over what these companies will do.

Ultimately the best for consumers,is for both companies to compete with each other,to keep things real. It's why the period between 1999 to 2007,was so fantastic. AMD,Intel and Nvidia were really fighting for people's money.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't remember AMD holding back on Phenom? I remember Phenom coming out, and being a flawed damp squib. I still bought one though, TLB bug and all... :D

I wish graphics was as competitive as the CPU sector is now. The last couple of years have actually been exciting in terms of products.

OcUK Staff
They shall be online at 2pm guys for you to pre order. :)

We have around 600 10900k retail in stock, around 500 10700k retail I’m stock and 100 10600k in stock.

We cannot ship any though until 20th of this month due to Intel guidelines.

Tray product arrives end of month.

Associate

We have around 600 10900k retail in stock, around 500 10700k retail I’m stock and 100 10600k in stock.

thanks for the update!
Super tempted for some intel oc’in fun again!!

Soldato
I would have thought stock of the 10600K would have been higher. Guess it's better for Intel/retailers to be shifting the higher end models?
What is the logic behind delaying shipping for another week?

Soldato
I would have thought stock of the 10600K would have been higher. Guess it's better for Intel/retailers to be shifting the higher end models?
What is the logic behind delaying shipping for another week?

this node has been heavily binned so it makes sense the lower tier chips are a bit more scarce, plus Intel will make more on the high end versions, due to not cutting up more high binned wafers in the fabs than needed, cleaver business Intel :)

Soldato
this node has been heavily binned so it makes sense the lower tier chips are a bit more scarce, plus Intel will make more on the high end versions, due to not cutting up more high binned wafers in the fabs than needed, cleaver business Intel :)

or perhaps Intel knows it's market well enough to know that there is no reason to overstock on the low to mid range when most buyers are rocking amd now. It's the high end, must have all the extra fps I can get buyer that is theirs and it makes sense to sell them the high end products that's all they want anywhere so when most of your market is the 10900 and 10700 then that's what you stock up on

Associate

@Gibbo - Any of the non-K SKUs going up today? or will those come later? (if so, any idea how much later?)

Soldato
was wondering how long that would take :D

my 4790k at 4.8ghz 1.375vcore hits 93c in adia64 fpu am I worried not really, only gets near that on avx stress tests...
never really been an issue

Its the same with my 3570k 4.8ghz 1.4v sat like that for years it would hit 90's in stress tests and stuff but was always cool when gaming.

I think these 10 cores are a whole different beast though, I would like to see how hot they get when gaming.

Im guessing the 8 core version would probably be a better gaming chip because easier to keep cool???

Associate
Its the same with my 3570k 4.8ghz 1.4v sat like that for years it would hit 90's in stress tests and stuff but was always cool when gaming.

I think these 10 cores are a whole different beast though, I would like to see how hot they get when gaming.

Im guessing the 8 core version would probably be a better gaming chip because easier to keep cool???

my buddy has a [email protected]/5.1 which we lowered the temps a lot buy reducing the voltage offset a few clicks he's around 1.280vcore at load and stays in the 80's now.
I kinda expect this 10900/10700k to be the same?

Associate
my buddy has a [email protected]/5.1 which we lowered the temps a lot buy reducing the voltage offset a few clicks he's around 1.280vcore at load and stays in the 80's now.
I kinda expect this 10900/10700k to be the same?

The 8core will be thermally better than a 9900k due to better binning and improved thermal dissipation of the chips compared to coffee lake. 10core is proportionally more difficult to cool with 2 additional cores but it'll really come down to what clocks you're pushing for both.

As your buddy discovered, if you take the time to learn and fine tune voltages, you can do a lot better than any "auto" or "AI" based settings. You can also make the chips run hotter by having your ram tuned as the settings like trrd_s/_l/tfaw will greatly speed up avx workloads when tightened. This in turn will generate more heat as the CPU is not stalling while waiting for RAM to process the data. Of course it does give good performance so it's not all fluff.

Soldato
10900k orders are up on Amazon UK.
You can have one for the low low price of 638 pounds!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0883NZC43/

edit: Its up for order on some U.S retailers now too - U.S retail price is $600usd eg https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...8070110900k_core_i9_10900k_processor_20m.html

I can't understand why intels cpu's get such high price in uk. It seem weird that it works out £50-100 cheaper to order them in from overseas now days.

It's been like this for a couple of years now.

Back
Top Bottom