Live Stream of my Bird Box - Bluetits Nesting - Chicks Hatching Now

Soldato
OP
Box1-20200513-070244164-1.jpg

Soldato
OP
Those other three really need to hatch in the next 24-48 hours.

Yeah I'd be much happier if they hatched today. I'll be worried if they hatch tomorrow. just for their ability to compete for food with those who are two days older.

The good news is that we have four so far, both parents are working hard to bring food and food is not in short supply. So finders crossed.

They look like they’ve got shades on :cool:

:p

Daylight mode should come on soon so we can get a better look at them.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why does the male always go into the other end empty box before going to the box with the nest?

So the male selects the nesting site and calls the female in to approve it. If she approves then she starts making the nest and he basically stands around acting as her security while she does.

The male spent the winter roosting in box three on the closest nights. He then selected box three to nest in and invited the female in to approve it

She initially started building the nest in box three. But after a couple of days she saw that box one was bigger inside and also had a narrower hole to prevent larger birds from attacking them.

So she threw all the nesting material out of box three and moved in to box one instead. That is where they stayed and layed the eggs.

So the male has always favoured box three. He's definitely got himself in to a routine of entering box three before moving to box one when bringing food.

It could be that either he's confused and forgot they moved.

Or it could be a tactic that a lot of birds employ which is never flying directly to the nest box but zig zagging across the garden as a decoy and only flying in to the nest when they are sure no preditors are watching so as not to reveal the location of the nest

Soldato
OP
Male is working very hard bringing caterpillars. Still not sure where he is getting such a large supply from.

He did just bring an earthworm back and try to feed it whole to a chick, she had to take it off him and chop it up in to pieces :p

The way they chew is adorable

Don
They really do don't they.

Right now I've got sunflower hearts, nyjer seed, peanuts, peanut butter, suet and mealworms out.

Don't know what's wrong with me it's costing me a fortune. The rate that they can go through the sunflower in late spring / early summer is incredible.

Seems set in that routine doesn't he?

It's been interesting to watch the male through the day. At the start he had no idea how to feed the chicks and watched the female intently. He then started to imitate the noises she makes to call them and has got a lot better at it through the day. He's still not quite got it off to her level but made a big effort. He's even sat on the chicks a few times when he's come in and she's been out to give them some warmth.

Absolutely; I've had to set up an amazon save and subscribe for the suet, as the sparrows and starlings clear a whole feeder a day (we have two out and sometimes they do both in a day). We have seeds, suet, peanuts and meal worms.

Soldato
OP
I've started to put together some highlight clips.

Starting at the very beginning the first is a montage of all of the times that the bluetits (and some greattits) came to visit the three nest boxes over the winter and spring to inspect it and suss it out before finally deciding to move in.

I've also started a time lapse of the nest being built and then I'll do one of the eggs being laid or as much as we can see of it anyway.

Soldato
OP
A few screenshots of the chicks as its probably the last view of them that we will get in colour today.

Sleeping soundly in a pile!

Box1-20200513-184212961.jpg

Box1-20200513-184239931.jpg

Reacting to the clicking relay noise of the camera switching between day and night mode.

Box1-20200513-184311814.jpg

Soldato
OP
Yeah we've been discussing this ourselves.

So for scale the male averages between 11 and 12cm in length. So not huge. Yet in the box he absolutely dwarfs them.

The eggs are really small. At their longest dimension, top to base, they are slightly smaller than a 5p coin. So about 15mm.

My guess is that the chicks are probably no more than 30mm beak to tail at the moment and they could well be closer to 20mm.

Soldato
OP
One of the live streams has picked up a copyright strike for Ian Van Dahl's Castles in the Sky :confused:.

These are some clever birds :p

Back
Top Bottom