• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
I know mate. Looks like from the high end pricing I will settle for a cut down flavour of the top tier ala vega56 instead of the 64 or the 5600xt was to the 5700xt.
That is my battleplan as well. I need a more efficient GPU than my VEGA 64. I like it but I'm not kidding myself of it's shortcomings.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
That is my battleplan as well. I need a more efficient GPU than my VEGA 64. I like it but I'm not kidding myself of it's shortcomings.

I dig my vega, its nice. However now I have a 4k monitor (mainly to watch streaming content and work productivity) it also needs one day to stretch its legs keeping the fps high - which is something the current cards (below £500) cant do. It might be wishful thinking but something will fall into place for a reasonable price that can shoulder the demand if not this year then early 2021. *fingers crossed*

Soldato
Does anyone know what the best driver settings would be for a Vega 56 on a 1440p monitor with 48-75Hz Freesync? Should I have V Sync on? or should I just have AMD Chill limit FPS to between 48-73 with no sync? Or both?

It's very confusing.

Soldato
It's very confusing.

It is I agree. My input (pardon the pun) on this is you should not need VSync on but I guess it depends on the game as the behaviour will differ from game to game on how well it works behind the scenes. You can combine the two to control the refresh rate with the frame rate.

In this scenario (48-75) I guess you may want to cap the frames of some games as its not ideal if your blowing past 75fps but that might be my poor interpretation of whats going on. Plenty of better experienced members here, but a great question when it comes to what setting should you be applying in Wattman for example. I cant see the default driver wizard making a great job of it and would need some manual intervention.

Soldato
how do you remove the AMD audio bloatware? There used to be an option to not install it when you were installing the gpu drivers but now it forces the install of the stupid and unnecessary audio drivers that mess up my system's sound every single flippin time.

Soldato
how do you remove the AMD audio bloatware? There used to be an option to not install it when you were installing the gpu drivers but now it forces the install of the stupid and unnecessary audio drivers that mess up my system's sound every single flippin time.

Bloatware? The driver is installing audio drivers for HDMI that is that nothing else. You buy hardware you get the software to make it work.

Do you know what Bloatware even means?

Has for the audio changing when installing drivers you can blame Microsoft for that it's Windows that is changing the default device to the hardware bypassing anything else connected.

Soldato
It is I agree. My input (pardon the pun) on this is you should not need VSync on but I guess it depends on the game as the behaviour will differ from game to game on how well it works behind the scenes. You can combine the two to control the refresh rate with the frame rate.

In this scenario (48-75) I guess you may want to cap the frames of some games as its not ideal if your blowing past 75fps but that might be my poor interpretation of whats going on. Plenty of better experienced members here, but a great question when it comes to what setting should you be applying in Wattman for example. I cant see the default driver wizard making a great job of it and would need some manual intervention.

At the moment I've got it set to the following globally:

uxDgrGW.png

Which seems to work well enough. I also have the card set to Auto Undervolt mode. In CS:GO it was using around 60W to maintain 48-73fps.

Soldato
At the moment I've got it set to the following globally:
Which seems to work well enough. I also have the card set to Auto Undervolt mode. In CS:GO it was using around 60W to maintain 48-73fps.

Thanks Michael, if it works well then you can chalk off that game. You can make this the specific setup for that game. Having three youngsters tiring me out around work (all under 7) I am usually knackered and lucky if I can squeeze in a few games of Warzone before bed.

I have Image Sharpening On and Anti-lag too. The rest are disabled. I could give this a go later on. I think my panel has a low fps window so I need to exlpore this more.

Soldato
Bloatware? The driver is installing audio drivers for HDMI that is that nothing else. You buy hardware you get the software to make it work.

Do you know what Bloatware even means?

Has for the audio changing when installing drivers you can blame Microsoft for that it's Windows that is changing the default device to the hardware bypassing anything else connected.

Is the full half a gig required for the gpu drivers? What size are the actual drivers?

I would strongly suggest that most of that is not required. They used to have the helpful option of not installing all of the additional bloat, now they do not, which is unhelpful and a clear step backwards.

Soldato
Is the full half a gig required for the gpu drivers? What size are the actual drivers?
AMD's graphic drivers are 480MB a package, Nvidias are 540MB, Intels are 320MB. So you'd assume so :p

They used to have the helpful option of not installing all of the additional bloat, now they do not, which is unhelpful and a clear step backwards.
A slimline install version is currently one of the top items on the AMD driver suggestion box if that helps for future movement.

Soldato

I would strongly suggest that most of that is not required. They used to have the helpful option of not installing all of the additional bloat, now they do not, which is unhelpful and a clear step backwards.

I don't see the point of complaining tbh the software is very light on system resources.

PC these days hardly struggle with RAM or storage so what really is the problem with having some recording/streaming software install with the drivers?
Plus your original complaint wasn't about the rest of the software it was about a key driver that is required for the hardware to function correctly.

From what I remember you had the option to not install relive but again its so lightweight you wouldn't even know its there.

Associate
The entire 'Audio' folder in the drivers package is around 2.5MB and not all of that will get installed as it covers multiple device types.
If you don't install the AMD audio drivers then you'll still get the standard MS ones installed anyway but with less functionality.
If you have hardware, drivers will get installed for that hardware.
The only kind of workaround would be to disable that hardware, clean up the devices in devmgmr, registry, driver store etc. If that few hundreds of KB or a MB or so of resource being used up is really that big an issue.

Caporegime
Not impressed with AMD's recording tech.

Recording i get hitching, or pauses.... what it seems to be doing is caching chunks of the recording and then dumping it periodically in large chunks on the drive, that puts the drive under stress and that causes the pause in the game.

I'm using HEVC 45Mb/s 1440P, the image quality at that is pretty poor, if i crank it any higher the pausing gets worse, it is a mechanical (spinney disk) drive, because you know.... most of us cannot afford a 500GB NVMe boot drive, an SSD for most game and on top of that an SSD for recordings... i used the same drive for recordings on the GTX 1070 and never had an issue with hitching.

I think Nvidia smoothly stream the recording to disk, not dump it in large chunks on the drive....

See the pausing in here...

Soldato

Recording i get hitching, or pauses.... what it seems to be doing is caching chunks of the recording and then dumping it periodically in large chunks on the drive, that puts the drive under stress and that causes the pause in the game.

I'm using HEVC 45Mb/s 1440P, the image quality at that is pretty poor, if i crank it any higher the pausing gets worse, it is a mechanical (spinney disk) drive, because you know.... most of us cannot afford a 500GB NVMe boot drive, an SSD for most game and on top of that an SSD for recordings... i used the same drive for recordings on the GTX 1070 and never had an issue with hitching.

I think Nvidia smoothly stream the recording to disk, not dump it in large chunks on the drive....

Does it happen in all games? You getting some mad frame drops in that game.

Associate

Is anything else using the HDD? Is the game/os installed on the same drive you are recording to?

Caporegime
Does lowering the recording quality fix it? Something definitely isn't right here.
Try turning off afterburner etc just for testing purposes also.

I record games to a slow HDD and don't have this issue.

It makes it less worse, i mean its already turned lower than i would like, the image quality is crap like it is now...

I'll try without MSI AM running, thx.

Associate

Try changing it to use system memory rather than hard drive, it's in the AMD settings.

I use the recording features and it works fine for me hardly any framerate drops.

Back
Top Bottom