Cube Aim Pro 2019 / 2020 / Trek Marlin 5 Best for £400 ?

Soldato
Hey folks, looking for an entry level mountain bike, have narrowed it down to;

Cube Aim Pro 2019
Cube Aim Pro 2020
Trek Marlin 5
Cannondale Trail 8

Budget is £400

I think the Cube's are mainly the same, but would appreciate a more expert input, the Cannondale has bad brakes from what I can see (mechanical) so maybe that can be ruled out from this choice.

Would welcome any input / alternative suggestions :)

Soldato
Cube Aim Pro has a slightly better groupset, 3x8 as apposed to 3x7 for the other bikes. Head Tube angle is the same at 69.5 degrees so pretty steep, which will make the steering pretty agile/twitchy like a road bike.

The Cube has a longer chainstay length so should have better stability at higher speeds, the Trek has a shorter chainstay length so should have better maneuverability and easier to chuck around.

Other than that they are pretty much all the same. 100mm travel on the Trek and Cube, only 75mm on the Cannondale.

Whats the bike going to be used for?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure if "budget bikes" have ever been in such high demand as they as right now, finding stock of anything really worth buying sub £400 is like trying to find a needle in a haystack!

From scouring a load of websites, the best I can come up with are...
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-2-hybrid-bike---small-651811.html £350, only small left but allegedly ok for up to 5'10"

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...y-all-weather-edition-hybrid-bike-229822.html £400, small and medium left (up to 6'1"), comes with mudguards/ heated hand grips, lights

Subways aren't light, but they have high rider weight tolerances. The above come with hydraulic brakes, which I'd choose over cable disc brakes everyday of the week.

Something else to maybe consider is if you find a cable disc brake bike bargain, upgrade the brakes to hydraulic for ~£50, for example https://www.merlincycles.com/clarks-m2-hydraulic-front-rear-disc-brake-set-160mm-123106.html

Actually having just spotted if after looking up those brakes, if the medium fits you, https://www.merlincycles.com/ridley-blast-acera-mountain-bike-2019-118545.html for £350 with a decent basic XCT suspension fork; hydraulic brakes and 29" wheels (so you could easily source some ~28-50mm road or mixed use tyres) is probably the pick of my bunch.

Soldato
It'll just be used for general use cycling a few miles for exercise, as well as cycling round the park / woods but not doing jumps etc
I saw this one on sale recently for the same price although haven't heard much of the brand

https://formebikes.co.uk/mtb-curbar-2.html

Forme bikes are pretty good more of a bespoke brand. That bike has a pretty slack head tube angle so would be a lot better for off-road rough terrain.

Soldato
The problem, with sub £600 mountain bikes is they have crappy coil forks such as XCM and XCT, and they just don't work very well.

This bike, https://www.halfords.com/bikes/moun...tain-bike---16in-18in-20in-frames-445307.htmlwhilst £100 over budget does offer an air fork in the shape of the new model XCR (older XCR forks are coil forks).

https://www.srsuntour.us/products/xcr-32-lo-r-air?variant=27528271747
In suntour's range, Air forks used to start at Raidon models or higher, but they've made the latest XCR an air fork so it will be similar to the older Raidon forks. *make sure to be sure as older XCR are agricultural and heavy coil forks,

For reference, Suntour forks go in order of low end to mid range as follows:

XCT > XCM > XCR > Raidon > Epixon

Soldato
OP
Ok guys so the ones recommended unfortunately are either too small or out of stock for both collection at any places nearby & delivery also :(

Mattyfez - detailed reply there, it does seem they all have the XCT forks in this lineup.

So so far it's still at

Cube Aim 2019
Cube Aim 2020

Now added

Giant Talon 3 (2019)

Even pushing to £450/475 there doesn't seem a lot at all, as Mattyfez says above, it must be £600 it changes...

Soldato
I had a Giant Talon years ago, was a pretty good solid bike, did a few trials with it but nothing too serious though. As you say though at that price range, very little difference between the bikes they are all pretty much identical specification. Although the Giant Talon 3 does have hydraulic disc brakes.

The only serious upgrade I would consider over everything else, even a better fork are the brakes.

Hydraulic Disc Brakes are absolutely the single biggest upgrade, significantly better stopping power over mechanical ones. No use having the best suspension possible that tracks the ground perfectly, if you can't stop :)

Soldato
If you have a Go Outdoors store near you then the Calibre Two Cubed is a good option for £399 (out of stock online though).

Fork is a coil RockShox XC30 but it's better than the Suntour forks you get at this price point.

Soldato
OP
Update - I've ordered the Calibre Two Cubed! It's usually out of stock but managed to grab one when it went back in stock! Size large! Managed to get it for £359 delivered as well as have discount card for there :)

Soldato
Update - I've ordered the Calibre Two Cubed! It's usually out of stock but managed to grab one when it went back in stock! Size large! Managed to get it for £359 delivered as well as have discount card for there :)

That's a good spot and order, from what I've read, the Two Cubed has rave reviews for a £400 bike!

Soldato

Good news! Good frame on the Calibre Two Cubed, so should serve you well as components wear out and you replace.

Soldato
OP
Emotional times, Go Outdoors basically claimed its 'lost in transit' even though I received a dispatch notice a few days after ordering with a tracking number, the courier just had 'waiting to receive parcel' on it's tracking.
They've refunded me, surprise surprise, it's no longer available... Not cynical at all but have a feeling it was never in stock in the first place, disappointed considering Go Outdoors isn't some random company, it's a well known one, oh well!

Soldato
Finding a bike in stock these days is ******* impossible. I'm in the market for a MTB around the £650 mark and have whittled it down to three or four, yet nowhere in the country has any of them in stock. In fact, even the ones I'd discounted aren't in stock anywhere either.

Soldato
Finding a bike in stock these days is ******* impossible. I'm in the market for a MTB around the £650 mark and have whittled it down to three or four, yet nowhere in the country has any of them in stock. In fact, even the ones I'd discounted aren't in stock anywhere either.

the covid-brexit conundrum. farce.

We are still apparently leaving the EU, that'll be great for supply chains and low paid delivery drivers in the UK going forward. :(

Soldato
OP
Yeah, its true, even the second hand market has over-inflated prices, had my eye on a Scott Aspect 740 2018, seems to be a good spec, seller wants £450 for it though and i'd have to drive 45 mins to get it, plenty of issues there, including the obvious 'essential journey' style stuff...! I did find a Whyte 603 (2020) not this site, but this gives a good spec;
https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product/mountain-bikes/hardtail-mountain-bikes/whyte-603-2020/

Wondering whether to just bite the bullet and get that, or risk the Scott.... hmmm

Back
Top Bottom