• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake thread

Soldato
I think amds lack of clarity in things early on set them up for this with mobo oems a little. fortunately i come in at x570 so ill get 4th gen no worries

Sucks for mainstream buyers though,but at least mainstream CFL and Zen2 buyers have something in common! :p

This might sound stupid but I need to ask it. Nvidia tomorrow are going to confirm Ampere is PCIe4 and these CPUs are not PCIe4 ready afaik. Apparently the boards might be for 11th Gen or something like that.

Does that mean anyone wanting to buy a RTX 3000 card come September are not going to be abe to use these if they buy this CPU or are these properly backwards compatible to work in PCIe 3 slots?

Intel still sell the most systems overall though,especially laptops and prebuilt systems.Most AMD Zen2 systems,and their Zen and Zen+ systems don't have PCI-E 4.0 either. If Ampere suddenly needs PCI-E 4.0 and you have much worse performance on PCI-E 3.0,then it would be actually an own goal by Nvidia.

Soldato
Yes,I know. It's hilarious how quick AMD went from,"it's very bad to change sockets/chipsets" according to their own PR,to "its,ok,no one will notice" in under 12 months!
:p

Well their existing sockets and chipsets do work, does anyone really not believe that when the 4000s come along, that AMD won't have a b650 and x670 or equivalent, and these will support 4000s in addition to the existing 500 series support? I'd be amazed if such things were not the case.

Soldato
All new glue to stick it together as well!

By Jove! That is three new things! Intel is on a roll.

Well their existing sockets and chipsets do work, does anyone really not believe that when the 4000s come along, that AMD won't have a b650 and x670 or equivalent, and these will support 4000s in addition to the existing 500 series support? I'd be amazed if such things were not the case.

Well not the mainstream one,most of their buyers are on,just the better one - AMD said no microcode updates for you lot! That will teach them for being cheapskates! :p

Soldato
Wait and see, it isn't of importance to me currently, as I will upgrade when 4000 comes along, the wife is on a tomahawk max board, we'll see if microcode eventually pootles along for it, it might. Her 3600 does her just fine right now. I'm still on x58... lol.

Soldato
Wait and see, it isn't of importance to me currently, as I will upgrade when 4000 comes along, the wife is on a tomahawk max board, we'll see if microcode eventually pootles along for it, it might. Her 3600 does her just fine right now. I'm still on x58... lol.
Don't knock the x58! One of the best platforms ever made. Hardly noticed a difference in gaming going from a heavily overclocked x5670 to a ryzen 5 3600.

Soldato
This might sound stupid but I need to ask it. Nvidia tomorrow are going to confirm Ampere is PCIe4 and these CPUs are not PCIe4 ready afaik. Apparently the boards might be for 11th Gen or something like that.

Does that mean anyone wanting to buy a RTX 3000 card come September are not going to be abe to use these if they buy this CPU or are these properly backwards compatible to work in PCIe 3 slots?

pcie4 is backwards compatible. So even if your new shiny intel z490 doesn't do pcie4 the gpu will revert to run in pcie3 mode - so it stil runs fine, just slower. And given how close the 2080ti was to the gen 3 limits we could definitely have a case of a rtx3080ti runs slower on an intel system than an amd system - that would be quite funny if what let AMd take Intel's gaming crown is pcie4 support!!

Soldato
Most AMD systems are on chipsets which don't support PCI-E 4.0,and all Intel systems don't support it either. So at this point if Ampere ran massively slower with PCI-E 4.0,it would be a bit of an own goal for Nvidia,as most of the PCs out there would run it slower.

Soldato
woah thought they might of been around the same price as the 9900k :/

Err, they are! Both 9900K and 10900K are £530 on OcUK so 10-core for the same price that 8-core used to be. Alternatively the 10700K is basically a faster 9900K for over £100 less.

Yes the 9900K is slightly cheaper if you shop around but the 10900K is still only 10% more at most.

Soldato
pcie4 is backwards compatible. So even if your new shiny intel z490 doesn't do pcie4 the gpu will revert to run in pcie3 mode - so it stil runs fine, just slower. And given how close the 2080ti was to the gen 3 limits we could definitely have a case of a rtx3080ti runs slower on an intel system than an amd system - that would be quite funny if what let AMd take Intel's gaming crown is pcie4 support!!

Still pedalling this garbage?

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/pci-express-4-0-performance-scaling-radeon-rx-5700-xt/24.html

Back
Top Bottom