• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Quick question? Got a 5700 Gaming X coming today, which is the best driver to get... Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Recommended (WHQL), or Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2 Optional?

Associate
Oh, it's under Instant Replay, thanks for the video.

How much ram is needed in order to use System memory though?

It would depend on what you using on the system already, but for most 16gb should be plenty. I use it on system memory and I have 16gb and works no problem at all.

Another thing that I have found is that recording shorter clips i.e 2 minutes long as opposed to the maximum 20 minutes long provides a much better experience. I believe this is due to a much smaller file size being processed by the computer, so give that a try if you are suffering from stutters.

Associate
Quick question? Got a 5700 Gaming X coming today, which is the best driver to get... Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Recommended (WHQL), or Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2 Optional?

I'm using 20.2.2 at the moment and they seem to be the most stable drivers since the 5700xt was released.

AMD have certainly improved there drivers over the last 12 months and I am pleased that I switched over from a intel / nvidia system to an all AMD system. The only downside I'm finding is everything runs hotter.

Soldato
I'm using 20.2.2 at the moment and they seem to be the most stable drivers since the 5700xt was released.

AMD have certainly improved there drivers over the last 12 months and I am pleased that I switched over from a intel / nvidia system to an all AMD system. The only downside I'm finding is everything runs hotter.
Have you tried undervolting your 5700XT yet? It seems AMD has set a high default voltage on it's cards so more chips can achieve the required clock speeds set for a 5700XT.

Soldato

Excellent, thanks for that... just downloaded them ready, almost delivery time!

Had a bad experience and returned a Gigabyte 5700XT awhile ago and hopefully second time lucky?

Associate
Have you tried undervolting your 5700XT yet? It seems AMD has set a high default voltage on it's cards so more chips can achieve the required clock speeds set for a 5700XT.

No not done that besides it running cooler are there any other benefits?

After 15 minutes of stressing the GPU I get 75c on the core and 95c on the junction.

Iv got the powercolor red dragon 5700xt by the way.

Caporegime
Try changing it to use system memory rather than hard drive, it's in the AMD settings.

I use the recording features and it works fine for me hardly any framerate drops.

That seems to have done the trick.
I also cranked it all the way up to 100Mb/s. there is the odd pause but its rare, i'm quite happy with it now, the image quality tho is still a bit naff...

Soldato
Played Transport Fever 2 for a few hours earlier and had a random black screen. Pressed the Windows key to return to desktop and returned to the game and all was fine... strange?

Soldato
New drivers (both 20.4.2 and 20.2.2) are both causing black screens on my TV. Still seem to work when I plug in a monitor but regular black screens on the TV (which is incredibly annoying when you are trying to watch something) with 20.4.2 and nothing but a black screen on 20.2.2.

Going to have to go back to older drivers but any ideas what might be causing this or how to fix it?

It's a sony bravia tv but never had issues like this before, it's only since i installed the new drivers.

Soldato
New drivers (both 20.4.2 and 20.2.2) are both causing black screens on my TV. Still seem to work when I plug in a monitor but regular black screens on the TV (which is incredibly annoying when you are trying to watch something) with 20.4.2 and nothing but a black screen on 20.2.2.

Going to have to go back to older drivers but any ideas what might be causing this or how to fix it?

It's a sony bravia tv but never had issues like this before, it's only since i installed the new drivers.

Have mine connected to a 165Hz monitor and it's the first time. Not a regular thing and release notes do seem to state this, best thing to do is send AMD feedback and hope it gets resolved.

Associate
That seems to have done the trick.
I also cranked it all the way up to 100Mb/s. there is the odd pause but its rare, i'm quite happy with it now, the image quality tho is still a bit naff...

Hey dude,

Just wondering if you tried using other options that can utilise the codec in other software.

Ive used OBS using the AMF codec.

I find the preset high quality recording to be great though on some occasions OBS can be janky but the image quality is pretty darn good.

Bandicam actually uses the AMF codec now, please check this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjOweygHyug

It is my own recording using the MP4 codec in Bandicam with a 85 Mbs recording -1440p@60 FPS.

I then encoded the file further in vegas movie studio using the AMD main concept codec with a tweak but the bit rate for this is 30mbs which is what was uploaded to Youtube.

To note with colour, I have done some editting to the colour (before anyone brings up the topic of colour rendering on AMD gpus).

I do agree that using AMD relive feature directly looks meh.

Bandicam isn't free though (but not expensive and its a lifetime licence) but OBS codec is free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmU5NpFxSHE&feature=youtu.be
This video I strongly believe was captured with OBS with the preset high quality recording.

The rendered bit rate on this is actually 28mbs in vegas movie studio.

Hopefully this may have opened up options.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi lads.
Have my new msi rx 5700 gaming x installed on my gigabyte ab350 gaming mb with the latest bios and chipset drivers etc... Have it connected to a corsair CX750m and have tried both the 20.4.2 and 20.2.2 drivers.
Once installed it boots to a black screen with no signal message on screen. PC is still running away.
I'm connected to a BenQ GL 2460 using HDMI if that matters?

Really wanted to enjoy my new toy.

Edit: Typing this in safe mode... So the GPU is working.

Associate
Hi lads.
Have my new msi rx 5700 gaming x installed on my gigabyte ab350 gaming mb with the latest bios and chipset drivers etc... Have it connected to a corsair CX750m and have tried both the 20.4.2 and 20.2.2 drivers.
Once installed it boots to a black screen with no signal message on screen. PC is still running away.
I'm connected to a BenQ GL 2460 using HDMI if that matters?

Really wanted to enjoy my new toy.

Edit: Typing this in safe mode... So the GPU is working.

Hi, I had the same issue, I used 19.12.1 for a while the last 2019 Adrenaline ones, now I'm on 20.4.2 and 20.2.2 was stable for me, but the ones after 19.12.1 and before 20.2.2 nothing worked, I feel your pain, I feel edgy as you like with the 5700XT though haha

Back
Top Bottom