• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unreal Engine 5 - unbelievable.

Soldato
Just a hunch but the SSD might end up being the weakest link. Something always goes wrong at launch and whats to betting the SSD's fail for some reason as they skimped on quality to keep the costs down.
Nar, they seem integral parts of the systems now, especially ps5 wise

Man of Honour
I don't know if geometry data compresses very well, and they may not want to if they plan on streaming that data from the SSD.

Highly varied - some of the models I'm using in a mod the range is compressed to 50% of the original data in the worst case, just over 25% best and most pack to around 30% of their original size.

For really big data sets like these models though it might be permissible to have some degree of lossy compression which could allow data to be compressed to 10% of its raw amount.

EDIT: For really big data sets it might be possible to produce some kind of procedural descriptive system that could be used to reproduce the original model accurately from a much smaller amount of data - in fact you probably have to do something like that to be able to stream out the data that is needed on a per scene basis from the original set even on today's hardware.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're aware the PS5, when considering it's console optimisation, will perform at 2080ti or greater levels? This is faster than 99% of gaming PC's of today, while costing far less :)

I don't think this is the case anymore. Consoles are more PC like than ever before and PCs running games with Vulkan and DX12 are more console like than before.

Sure a 2070 Super equivalent in the console will perform better than the same GPU in a PC, but I am not sure you are going to reach 2080Ti levels of performance.

Soldato
You're aware the PS5, when considering it's console optimisation, will perform at 2080ti or greater levels? This is faster than 99% of gaming PC's of today, while costing far less :)

In 10 years maybe. Anyone who says that is clearly deluded. Optimisation will get you some percentage points using current vs current hardware but it will not get you 50% like you are saying.

Hence X1X/ps4 pro performing like a pc rx580 because that is what it has inside.

PS5 will be around 2070S levels.

On a side note, stunning demo. Hopefully next gen games are going to be putting next gen GPU’s to good use!

Soldato
Soldato
Assassins Creed Vahalla is said to be 30fps. Yet doesn't offer the computational prowls of this UE 5.0 at 1440p 30fps.

I wont hold my breath

Remember what Unreal Engine 4 looked like

Are there any games made with the Unreal Engine 4 that resemble that demo. Hell no.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games#Unreal_Engine_4
That's a cinematic pre-rendered demo.

Infiltrator is a high-end demonstration of Unreal Engine 4’s rendering and cinematic capabilities. Originally shown at GDC 2013, it’s still highly representative of the capabilities of high-end PC GPUs.
That was not representative of consoles of the era.

Soldato
In 10 years maybe. Anyone who says that is clearly deluded. Optimisation will get you some percentage points using current vs current hardware but it will not get you 50% like you are saying.

Hence X1X/ps4 pro performing like a pc rx580 because that is what it has inside.

PS5 will be around 2070S levels.

On a side note, stunning demo. Hopefully next gen games are going to be putting next gen GPU’s to good use!
Yep, i think 3070 will be more powerful than even Series X. Last i heard pretty sure Series X is below a 2080Ti so..

Only main advantage consoles will have over their 6-7 years or whatever, is that they will get better optimisation than drivers would on PC, but only on none current GPUs. Which would be irrelevant anyway after another gen of cards as even bottom tier ones would then outperform them.

Soldato
Yep, i think 3070 will be more powerful than even Series X. Last i heard pretty sure Series X is below a 2080Ti so..

Only main advantage consoles will have over their 6-7 years or whatever, is that they will get better optimisation than drivers would on PC, but only on none current GPUs. Which would be irrelevant anyway after another gen of cards as even bottom tier ones would then outperform them.

That's right. Going by the latest available info out there - the RTX3060 is expect to be just a little bit under the 2080ti. And the Series X is expected to fall a bit under the 2080ti.
If that all pans out, the RTX3060 will be closer to the Series X - the RTX3070 I guess would match the Titan RTX

Soldato

tenor.gif

If you actually believe that, do yourself a favour and think about it for a second. What's the equivalent GPU of a PS4 Pro & X1X and why don't these consoles also magically perform better than the GPUs, given all these magical optimisations? (https://youtu.be/9ZBtxrFyb1s?t=366)
Spoiler alert: There are no magical optimisations going on with consoles, what actually ends up happening is that when you build the game you build it with the console budget in mind, so the best bang-4-buck visuals are for that hardware but they don't scale up or down well (i.e. in order to get better visuals from it, like in a PC port, you're going to need disproportionately faster hardware - BUT the equivalent hardware runs it more or less the same as the consoles themselves do).

Actually, it wasn't even a solid 1440p :D

Soldato
shame its only 30fps and 1440p (most of the time meaning it downscales sometimes) :/ to think I was playing games at 30fps back in 1999 lol.

Well the only constant over time has been resolution increases. It's only relatively recently that panels over 60hz have become common for decades games were 30fps and 60fps.

if framerate had moved I at the same pace as resolution then right now we'd be playing our at 5000fps

Soldato
I misread that part, its not a direct confirmation anyway. But he's talking about the PS5 and then offhand says the RTX2070 Super offers good performance too - sounds like an indirect way to compare them

don't forget whos epics nr 1 partner and who earlier tried to downplay the new console power by showing off RTX laptops on a stage.

Soldato
That looked awesome regardless of what resolution people are claiming it was running at.

Peoples reactions can be weird. Fervently defending the Rtx 2080 etc.

The thing with most pc gamers on here is that I'm pretty sure most play at 1440p because it's that sweet spot between fidelity and performance, yet so many are crazy opinionated on any suggestion of 4k.

We all know pcs will surpass console power due to nature of the way they are built but why people can't just appreciate a good tech demo without getting into full defence mode.

As for someone claiming they have played better looking PC games. That is a laughable comment really.

Back
Top Bottom