• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unreal Engine 5 - unbelievable.

Soldato
I'm fully aware of what thread I am in, my comment was based on the content of the thread. I also know of the "Tech Demo" as I have read about it, a tech demo is a tech demo, its not a game. It looks great too, but if you're expecting game to look like that on the next gen consoles you might be disappointed.

I didnt shoot anything down, I simply stated that I enjoy a build up to a console launch. Its amusing to me that people get angry and defensive over such things, or even fall for the marketing which this tech demo is. Why show a tech demo and not a game running? Its good to what its capable of when there is no AI, physics, player interactions, NPCs, dialogue etc etc but it doesnt show you what you will be getting.

Sorry I was speaking to a general audience after my initial bit aimed at you. I agreed with you but then went on to talk in general. :)

Caporegime
It doesn't make any difference if the tick rate on console is 10.

There is no point having 1000fps on console if tick rate is 10.

They both need improving but tick rate especially.

tickrate is not the be all and end all. It obviously helps if it's higher but people still noticed a difference on 33 tick CS source servers playing at 120/144hz with 300fps.

AFAIA Destiny on console also has copious amounts of motion blur to cover up the horror show and make it feel "smoother"

Soldato
I didnt shoot anything down, I simply stated that I enjoy a build up to a console launch. Its amusing to me that people get angry and defensive over such things, or even fall for the marketing which this tech demo is. Why show a tech demo and not a game running? Its good to what its capable of when there is no AI, physics, player interactions, NPCs, dialogue etc etc but it doesnt show you what you will be getting.

while the tech demo wasn't a full blown game, they did show partial player interaction, AI and physics effects.

Associate
Do they need to do platform specific tech demos? Lol

tbh tech demos across multiple platforms would be very useful

I keep hearing a load of BS around the PS5 being able to do stuff that no PC can and basically boils down to no-one can buy RDNA2 or the next iteration of PCIe 4 SSDs i.e. the developer kit and prototypes using hardware that isn't yet available on general release but neither are the consoles. BS is unreal on that one LUL

Soldato
whats your point? The point of the tech demo was to show new engine features running on a console (PS5) .

You'd know my point if you'd read what you quoted. Don't quote me again if you can't comprehend basic English; I block people like that.

Nothing in any of them screenshots come close to the end of that tech demo where she descends to the portal.

Huh? You said "As for someone claiming they have played better looking PC games." Yes I have, easily. We're discussing overall quality. If you want something in motion, all you had to do was ask. PS: Yes they do & in fact surpass that demo. Luma is nice, but not really qualitatively superior to what's been SVOGI for years in CryEngine & far away from RT GI. While Nanite is interesting I reserve judgement until we can more closely compare it to whatever else's been available because from those screenshots it doesn't really live up to the 8K textures no lod no polygon budgets hype. I've seen (and shown) much better quality. So I'm willing to concede it might be because the TAA is **** & that's at 1154p but we don't know.

Soldato
That can only be scripted surely

Why? If they were scripted they might as well just show a pre-rendered cutscene like they've always done. No point wasting time faking gameplay. Also the backlash if it was scripted and they tried to pass it off as gameplay would be big.

Edit: It would also stain the engines reputation

Soldato
You'd know my point if you'd read what you quoted. Don't quote me again if you can't comprehend basic English; I block people like that.

Huh? You said "As for someone claiming they have played better looking PC games." Yes I have, easily. We're discussing overall quality. If you want something in motion, all you had to do was ask. PS: Yes they do & in fact surpass that demo.

That star citizen footage doesn't contain anywhere near the same level of complexity as what's shown on that tech demo. It does look pretty but it's a very basic landscape of hills and a sky. There is no physics or anything on display.

But yeah anyway this is gonna turn into you defending pcs being amazing (I've owned a good spec pc since 1999 so I'm aware how good pcs are) and just trying to discredit what is clearly an impressive tech demo.

No point in going round in circles here.

Can tell by your response to that other poster that you take things a little too seriously.

Associate

Huh? You said "As for someone claiming they have played better looking PC games." Yes I have, easily. We're discussing overall quality. If you want something in motion, all you had to do was ask. PS: Yes they do & in fact surpass that demo. Luma is nice, but not really qualitatively superior to what's been SVOGI for years in CryEngine & far away from RT GI. While Nanite is interesting I reserve judgement until we can more closely compare it to whatever else's been available because from those screenshots it doesn't really live up to the 8K textures no lod no polygon budgets hype. I've seen (and shown) much better quality. So I'm willing to concede it might be because the TAA is **** & that's at 1154p but we don't know.

nice to see you comparing this tech demo to another tech demo (star citizen) :D

Soldato
That star citizen footage doesn't contain anywhere near the same level of complexity as what's shown on that tech demo. It does look pretty but it's a very basic landscape of hills and a sky. There is no physics or anything on display.

But yeah anyway this is gonna turn into you defending pcs being amazing (I've owned a good spec pc since 1999 so I'm aware how good pcs are) and just trying to discredit what is clearly an impressive tech demo.

No point in going round in circles here.

Can tell by your response to that other poster that you take things a little too seriously.

I'm not trying to discredit anything, I'm very happy with this announcement because LODs & GI were my #1 & #2 biggest wants for next-gen, but I don't want to ******** myself and overhype it either, as that does a disservice to the wonderful work they did accomplish and also the great work everyone else has done up to today, because there really are games that look as great on PC especially because we're not stuck to temporally reconstructing 1154p images and at only 30 fps. People are trying to make it seem like that PS5 demo overshadows everything that's available on PC today and I vehemently disagree & happy to state reasons and logic as to why, I'm not just shouting people down for thinking differently. Those things (res & fps) still matter a great deal no matter how far along reconstruction techniques or motion blur come. That's all I'm saying.

nice to see you comparing this tech demo to another tech demo (star citizen) :D

At least one of them is out & playable today. :D

Soldato
Why? If they were scripted they might as well just show a pre-rendered cutscene like they've always done. No point wasting time faking gameplay. Also the backlash if it was scripted and they tried to pass it off as gameplay would be big.

Edit: It would also stain the engines reputation

Someone was playing the tech demo? If so I take everything back and I am buying a PS5, selling my PC and scrapping plans for a big Navi, Ryzen 4000 build

Soldato
That looked awesome regardless of what resolution people are claiming it was running at.

Peoples reactions can be weird. Fervently defending the Rtx 2080 etc.

The thing with most pc gamers on here is that I'm pretty sure most play at 1440p because it's that sweet spot between fidelity and performance, yet so many are crazy opinionated on any suggestion of 4k.

We all know pcs will surpass console power due to nature of the way they are built but why people can't just appreciate a good tech demo without getting into full defence mode.

As for someone claiming they have played better looking PC games. That is a laughable comment really.

I couldn't agree more. The Demo was awesome and the tech in it shows a lot of good promise for both PC and Consoles. I would really appreciate it if game devs didn't have to do so many tricks and half "baked" solutions and could instead just focus mainly on actual gameplay and raw assets.

Soldato
49893336642_f1883dd584_h.jpg

Caporegime
tickrate is not the be all and end all. It obviously helps if it's higher but people still noticed a difference on 33 tick CS source servers playing at 120/144hz with 300fps.

AFAIA Destiny on console also has copious amounts of motion blur to cover up the horror show and make it feel "smoother"

it is for competitive play where high refresh rates make the most difference.

it's the reason why valorant are boasting about their 128 tick servers vs cs:go's 64 tick rate.

on a console it's pointless having 120fps if tick rates are going to be 10.

if they up tick rate to 60 then the 120 fps will make a difference for competitive play.

currently with a tick rate of 10. increasing fps does nothing to make the game any better as the tick rate is so far behind. both need improving but tick rate especially.

Soldato
Nah.

jmq9mc.png
jBKape.png

49860334818_77c2b12436_4k.png
2020.05.08-12.40-01jkk9d.jpeg

2020.05.10-10.16-01ggkcm.jpeg

2020.05.08-14.58-01moj8s.jpeg
661ef1e16c0ef71fe5a13823d3251a0182a3a085.jpg
8c9039ee2e51572f7e7f1550486a95fa032ccabe.jpg
49843511552_efa32be339_o.png
49858201402_c2dab96778_o.png
jBzpw5.png
jqSEPi.png
jqCHUT.png
49858204042_cd040f1c3c_o.png
49779878907_8e9c9e2bd7_3k.jpg
jBwfkc.png

jBwL3a.png
49781344656_6b6bbbb815_o.png
49746592117_b9462453e4_o.jpg
jdTiFo.jpg
2019.12.13-12.29n9jb0.jpg
SOTTR_2020_03_17_21_23_16_999.jpg
lj724c.png
3h6clt.png
2AC522C8CFABFCF00149297F049B32F65D1C4981
B5E474352429BC0E7292F37300EBE6C401774F16

If you think all that is better looking than fine you easy going.

Nothing out right now is even close to the amount of detail shown in a single frame from that unreal 5 demo.

The biggest buzz from the demo for me is removing level of detail down to a single pixel this will truly max games next gen.
They is nothing worse than seeing building and trees etc pop in and out.
And that is only part of the demo you then have the real time lighting and I can go on tbh even the audio is next gen.

Caporegime
I'm really interested in the audio part as well, having recently got an Atmos system, it really does add another level of immersion to games that support it.

The LOD part is also really exciting, it's not even just things disappearing and appearing. It's done so poorly in some current titles that you can notice the detail changing rather dramatically and it completely breaks immersion.

Soldato
I'm really interested in the audio part as well, having recently got an Atmos system, it really does add another level of immersion to games that support it.

The LOD part is also really exciting, it's not even just things disappearing and appearing. It's done so poorly in some current titles that you can notice the detail changing rather dramatically and it completely breaks immersion.

LOD is the worst graphic setting you just can not unsee once you see it.
Console players tend to not really get onto it because they never really dig deep into graphics settings. Pc players on the other hand learn more about graphics from a games graphic settings you become more educated than a console only player.
Don't get me wrong they will still be some console gamers than will show interest in graphics.

Grand theft Auto and Red Dead redemption 2 the LOD on them games once you see it like you said just spoils the immersion.

Audio in games is for me just as important as the graphics themselves.

Back
Top Bottom