Sim racers - what are you running?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I've decided that I'm going to go for the clubsport 2.5 wheel base. Sadly out of stock until the start of next month.
Original plan was to grab the R330 wheel to go alongside this as a round wheel would mean it would be versatile for every type of car in a sim, then get a formula style wheel further down the line for GT3 and LMP driving which is where I seem to be doing most of my racing at the moment.

This plan has gone firmly out of the window as I ordered the forged carbon F1 2020 wheel yesterday. (eventually after the fanatec site started working)
a8L7KGql.jpg

So I have that wheel on the way in July and plan to grab the wheel base at the start of June when stock returns.

Looking forward to the upgrade and not having to deal with a creaky plastic T300 anymore.

Soldato
Nice, thats quite a special looking wheel!

I finally got my dispatch notice for my Sim-Plicity SW20 V3, hopefully have my hands on it start of next week.

In the mean time the TrakRacer MiGe front mount turned up earlier in the week, what a hefty unit that is.:eek: Also my wheel rim arrived yesterday, ended up not going for the custom built Audi R8 style rim, I changed my mind and decided to go for something a bit more sensible to do me until this whole Covid situation clears up, that rim will definitely be a future purchase though.

WnhtBe2l.jpg

SimRacingCoach GT1
https://www.simracingcoach.com/en/contenido/volante-gt1/

I'm blown away with the build quality and solid feel, probably one of the more "affordably" priced wheels on the market but it definitely feels more expensive than it was, genuinely impressed with the thing. Communication with SRC was brilliant, Carlos was an absolute pleasure to deal with, very helpful and timely with replys, if anyone is on the market for a new wheel I'd 100% reccomend them any day of the week.

Test fitted it up to the t300, just to make sure it all worked, cant wait to get it all mounted up to the SW20 when it arrives.

Associate
Some amazing setups going on. My t500 will have to do for now. Just ordered the components to my own custom rig. Pretty nervous for how it will turn out and hoping ive bought all the correct bits. Cant wait to get off the office chair and onto something that doesnt lean back when braking!

Associate
My Buttkicker Gamer 2 is due to arrive today or tomorrow, do I need a dedicated sound card for it. I know i did when I ran tactile traducers through an amp. For further info I use wireless Corsair headphones via a USB dongle for my game sounds.

I plan on using my Sim Commander 4 software to control it.

Soldato
I'm currently looking into upgrading my csl elite and mclaren gt3 rim towards the podium ps4 offering (got a fanatec hub for xbox compatiblity and rallying). Anyone made the same step up? Kinda also hoping it's still supported on PS5...

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
My Buttkicker Gamer 2 is due to arrive today or tomorrow, do I need a dedicated sound card for it. I know i did when I ran tactile traducers through an amp. For further info I use wireless Corsair headphones via a USB dongle for my game sounds.

I plan on using my Sim Commander 4 software to control it.

Ok so this makes things easy. I'm using the following setup.

Steel series wireless headset in usb for game audio.

Buttkicker and speakers plugged into a splitter going into my analogue audio on the system.
I don't use the buttkicker and speakers together so it works fine.

Essentially as long as your system audio is set to the headset then the output for the buttkicker will go through the control software separately.
Don't try and run game audio via the speaker channel if your BK is plugged in or you will have a bad time

I use simhub to control mine so can't advise on that but either way hopefully my settings I posted before can help you.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
all good. hope you get on ok with it. was a game changer for me. ive had to order some anti vibration pads for my rig to stop it rattling the house down when i turn it up. hoping they work.

My CSW2.5 and R330 Wheel with Xbox hub pre-order went in this morning.

Was planning on placing the pre order towards the end of the month but it seems that fanatec stock is all pre sold on their next clubsport base consignment so the next batch is due in July.

its an extra month to wait and I did at one point consider just getting a CSL wheel base but knew I would be unhappy with it and still want the clubsport so an extra month of waiting is on the cards.

shame fanatec take the funds on point of order rather than at dispatch.

Can anybody who runs the xbox universal hub explain to me how adjustable the button modules are? I understand they are on adjustable arms but it seems odd that every product image of theirs doesnt show the modules being slotted in close to the steering wheel spokes if that makes sense. Just looks untidy.

Soldato
y4mPpf85N86oqXMByjg6j-HRMJI1KxIahtbObZKnYjb_akxOMUbno8TI0KAKp4uBZTxpAcOpurCsz_CGOWGkcs2at0pH2pxc5hyR7FpLYiCPSvGtaxdEDP9qB7GFufZT7HLxK_OInDb46yL-a9kRU0QwmAU09K3A4ji5MmJDcd0NoDDsRDIFmryZnB0gaV4y5158pcgEWqL6xewSWraPxA9tg
Bit late to the party, but I assume you mean something like the above?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
ah yeah. perfect. I was hoping I could get them flush so they dont look so janky, will have to mess around with it when it arrives. nice one for that!

Soldato
Finally got the Sim-plicity DD wheel setup and dialed in, wasnt the most straight forward of setups I've ever done, but I got there in the end, the USB cable (Printer type) that was supplied with it turned out to be faulty, had me so bloody stressed last night, I was pulling my hair out trying to diagnose and fault find, probably one of the cheapest parts of the whole setup... Who'd have thought. But its all good now!

DfBKY1xl.jpg
IClp572l.jpg

Wheel Q/R bolts need chooping down, but I'll get round to that later in the week. Dont think I'll be spending much on the rig for the next few months, I think I'm quite content with how it is at the moment, only other thing I can think of for the moment is a proper button box holder, but thats absolutely not a priority, the current bodge works for now, repurposed one of the wheeldeck supports and the Streamdeck is velcro'd.

Got to say, what a difference though, I mean, I knew it was going to be stronger but I'm gonna have to get some serious training in for endurance races as my arms, hands and wrists will be in tatters. I'm not up to speed with it yet, will definitely be a little bit slower for a short while before I'm properly used to it.

Associate
Steve45, what is the frame part that holds your DD wheel unit? Is that a seperate bit that bolts on to your cockpit, or part of the whole thing?

Associate
Thanks. Have recently been looking into DD wheels. The new VRS wheel has got me tempted. A lot of ££ overall though for what is a side hobby for me though.

Associate
My sim racing parts arrived today and I've built my first ever sim racing rig. So happy with the result after all the measuring and ordering it turned out exactly as I hoped.

gX0vMI8.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom