iRacing

Soldato
Folks... I want to give this a go... I went onto the iRacing website and can see there is an offer of half price there.... is the sub there any different to the sub say on Steam which is currently showing as £12.99 (as opposed to $6.50 per month at the moment?

Caporegime
Any tips/pointers to start off with iracing?
I got a G920 wheel and was wondering is there a premapped setup for the buttons or do you have to enter the button mapping yourself?
I didn't play for years and don't have that wheel but it should be plug and play without messing around in the options.

all the memberships are 50% on the website right now.

Associate
Any tips/pointers to start off with iracing?
I got a G920 wheel and was wondering is there a premapped setup for the buttons or do you have to enter the button mapping yourself?

For the buttons, you can configure the buttons on your wheel to whatever you like, the menu for doing that is very easy to follow in Iracing. You con;t have to use any of them, put push to talk and look left and right are a must for me.

I was on there for about a month, but in truth got fed up with bad drivers.

I got my A licence, but sadly in most races people are just not willing to let you past cleanly - even if you are faster than they are. They are quite happy to crash into you.

This added to the money pit that is becomes if you want to progress, money for each track/car etc. made me realise that although I liked parts of it - it was not really for me.

Best advice is hard to give, as the model they use is based very much of safety rating - if fact your SR is the only thing that determines your licence class - so you can progress very easily to an A licence by staying at the back and out of trouble.

What "split" you get placed in in a particular race depends on your Irating, which you increase by finishing better in races.

So ideally you might want to work on your safety rating first and then that will give you access to the higher licence races. You can then get a bit more aggressive and try and get your irating increased.

For me though I was safety rating 4.99 on A Licence so as high as you can get and had an Irating of 3k - but still in most races I was getting annoyed with people just simply ruining the race for me. Some people really just don't care, for me the model simply does not work. Another driver could simply force you off, hit you and if they kept it clean the rest of the race then their SR would be largely intact - it just doesn't work for me.

The single worst thing though is that if a driver crashes into you on purpose, then you both get the same SR penalty - just not fair and there you have, in my view, the biggest problem with this game.

Soldato
For the buttons, you can configure the buttons on your wheel to whatever you like, the menu for doing that is very easy to follow in Iracing. You con;t have to use any of them, put push to talk and look left and right are a must for me.

I was on there for about a month, but in truth got fed up with bad drivers.

I got my A licence, but sadly in most races people are just not willing to let you past cleanly - even if you are faster than they are. They are quite happy to crash into you.

This added to the money pit that is becomes if you want to progress, money for each track/car etc. made me realise that although I liked parts of it - it was not really for me.

Best advice is hard to give, as the model they use is based very much of safety rating - if fact your SR is the only thing that determines your licence class - so you can progress very easily to an A licence by staying at the back and out of trouble.

What "split" you get placed in in a particular race depends on your Irating, which you increase by finishing better in races.

So ideally you might want to work on your safety rating first and then that will give you access to the higher licence races. You can then get a bit more aggressive and try and get your irating increased.

For me though I was safety rating 4.99 on A Licence so as high as you can get and had an Irating of 3k - but still in most races I was getting annoyed with people just simply ruining the race for me. Some people really just don't care, for me the model simply does not work. Another driver could simply force you off, hit you and if they kept it clean the rest of the race then their SR would be largely intact - it just doesn't work for me.

The single worst thing though is that if a driver crashes into you on purpose, then you both get the same SR penalty - just not fair and there you have, in my view, the biggest problem with this game.

You did well getting to a 3k license in just over a month with all those incidents you were having in the first few weeks.

Soldato
I'm almost certain they have made tweeks to the penalty system recently, I've been hit from the rear and turned into from the side a few times in the past few races. Where in the past I would have almost certainly received the same contact penalty as the driver who caused the collision, I have received no incident points. Still frustrating to get tagged but slightly less infuriating. I dunno if they were just glitches or what but certainly feels different, definitely feels less consistant with penalties.

Associate
You did well getting to a 3k license in just over a month with all those incidents you were having in the first few weeks.

Yeah, I played it pretty much constantly as I did not much else to do. Is not so much the number of incidents by volumes, but the fact that in each race someone would be an idiot. I watched the latest video you put up on your last race and you can see a good few examples of exactly what I am talking about.

Soldato
Yeah, I played it pretty much constantly as I did not much else to do. Is not so much the number of incidents by volumes, but the fact that in each race someone would be an idiot. I watched the latest video you put up on your last race and you can see a good few examples of exactly what I am talking about.

Sure is but are you ever going to find a game or a racing sim in particular where every gamer you encounter behave? Iracing has its fair share of idiots but it’s better than any other racing game out there.

unfortunately racing is a fast and furious sport, it’s dangerous, accidents will inevitably happen. For the most part it is just that, a bad judgement leading to an accident. I rarely see someone intentionally punt me or anyone else for that matter.

Associate
Sure is but are you ever going to find a game or a racing sim in particular where every gamer you encounter behave? Iracing has its fair share of idiots but it’s better than any other racing game out there.

unfortunately racing is a fast and furious sport, it’s dangerous, accidents will inevitably happen. For the most part it is just that, a bad judgement leading to an accident. I rarely see someone intentionally punt me or anyone else for that matter.

I do get that, that is perhaps the biggest point - maybe I expected too much.

I for sure know that in real life when I have raced, I have never seen anything even close to the madness I have seen playing this, maybe I just got "sucked in" with all the real world sim nonsense :)

If it was their real car and their life on the line, I can guarantee you would not see the same level of blocking ans swerving you see on Iracing.

On your latest video quite near the start, the white car, I think number 7 - he spun himself out. Let's be honest prior to that he was never ever ever going to let you past - no matter what, That is what I am talking about.

Soldato
If it was their real car and their life on the line, I can guarantee you would not see the same level of blocking ans swerving you see on Iracing.
That to be expected when the only consequence is a couple of imaginary numbers going down. I'd suggest maybe trying to find a league to race with if you want to find a better quality of racing, with more accountability and punishment for crappy driving.

Also, I'm not sure what series you're running, but if you stick with one or two for a season you start to see the regular drivers and get a strong idea of what they're like to race with; who you can go wheel to wheel with, who's timid/crazy and who's a liability who you just need to give time to throw themselves in to the scenery.

Back
Top Bottom