Road Cycling

Soldato
It's very interesting (to me at least) having a look back over MyFitnessPal, the days I sleep better, I've eaten 2,000+ calories in my evening meal and snack before bed. If I eat 1,500 and below in the later part of the day, my sleep is very interrupted (5 or 6 interruptions a night). I wonder how activity (cycling) fits into this too...

I might do some geeky, nerdy analysis on this :)

Soldato
I noticed, in my BC email, something about a new SiS product to help sleep and recovery - SiS Sleep Plus. A small explanation here.

The few times I remember to take a SiS gel on a ride over 1½ hours, I do feel like I have a stronger finish, so I do have some faith in SiS. I'm going to order some of this Sleep Plus, mainly because even though I can usually sleep within minutes of my head hitting the pillow, I can guarantee I will wake at least twice, sometimes apparently it's 6 or 7 times.

I guess I just wondered what poeple's thoughts are on this?

I’m not a fan of eating/drinking anything calorific that close to bed given the overnight fast is your gut’s only proper opportunity to repair itself and it can’t do that if it’s digesting food. On top of that, the digestion process will disrupt your sleep. I’d be looking at the following before supplementing:

-Workout timing: later in the evening is bad unless it’s unavoidable
-Evening meal timing: ideally consume last calories approx 2 hours before bed. Should be reasonably high carb to promote melatonin production.
-Sleep hygiene: dim lights 90 mins before bed, avoid using screens, ensure bedroom is comfortable temp (cooler is better), only use bed for sleeping (and the other thing) and not as an extra sofa.
-Supplements that may help include magnesium, taurine and melatonin but require some experimentation as everyone responds differently.

I’d recommend reading Nick Littlehales’ book on sleep and The Circadian Code by Satchin Panda if you want a bit more insight into sleep and manipulating our body clocks.

Soldato
On top of that, the digestion process will disrupt your sleep.

But this is my point. I have evidence, for me, that it helps me sleep. (I think I posted more info in the weight loss thread, but basically nights where I ate 2,100+ cals after 5pm I only woke 1 or 2 times... I think to pee, and the times I ate less than 1,500 cals after 5pm I was waking 5, 6 or 7 times in a night.)

I was also hearing about a study that suggested it can help to carb load in the evening, although they also pointed out these were very overweight subjects on very strict amounts of calories, but those that ate carbs late, lost more. I guess this last bit, not that I'm saying I believe it, but more perhaps evidence against the whole 'don't eat in the evening as you're just fuelling sleep and it will just be moved to fat' argument.

I’d recommend reading Nick Littlehales’ book on sleep and The Circadian Code by Satchin Panda if you want a bit more insight into sleep and manipulating our body clocks

Looks interesting... but I'm a very slow reader and get easily distracted :)

Soldato
@Roady as long as the speeds are the same you're pretty much shooty in.

Front + rear mechs on a 10 speed system is fine.

If you change the battery then you end up needing to change the front EW67 out for EW90.

I wouldn't bother with the handlebar mount if you can't integrate it fully. Get a stem spacer with the mount so you don't have to use the rubber strap.
Great thanks. Have not got battery or junctions yet, only shifters, 2 cables and a FD. Just trying to figure out what I need minimum to get a working Di2 setup as it's the logical final upgrade to make on the Diverge.

Di2 compatibility chart here:

even includes the cross-compatible MTB parts in case you ever want to run a reaaaaaally big cassette

edit: it's actually a bit out of date... try this one... https://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/pdf/en/HM-CC.3.3.0-00-EN.pdf

you can even use "10 speed" shifters with 11 speed mechs for 11 speed and vice-versa
Amazing info guys thanks, both spot on! I've basically got a FD-6870 and was struggling to find a RD-6870 so was going to go with the RD-R8050 if it would work.

24mm standard bb86 shimano pressfit job

I got the tool... now I just have to get around to having a go. It's quite overdue as can feel it wobbling but no creaks. Oh and the gear cable is on verge of snapping for the fiftieth time!
A wobbling BB isn't good! Hope it's not too much movement to have damaged the BB shell.

You really have no luck with that damn gear cable! Fraying in the shifter again?! :o :(

I'm a total fidget at night too - I drive my wife nuts.
My other half and I have always moved around lots at night waking each other up. Always have and it very rarely leads to anything else other than muttering these days! :rolleyes:

Although I would say since we started cycling we both sleep loads better than before. Like a deeper sleep, so we actually wake each other up less moving around. I would say 7 hours a night on average, rarely more than 8. I actually find if I'm off the bike for more than a couple of days I feel 'off' and get more interrupted sleep, almost like I've had too much caffeine, but it's just lack of fatigue! Throw a little person into the mix, also any alcohol consumption and we're both generally asleep within minutes of going to bed! Little guy sleeps well (always has) but we are getting 1 or 2 wake ups now. He sleeps near 10 hours most nights. He settles down immediately 90% of the time so whoever generally settles him can quite often get back asleep themselves but if that is anytime after 5 (either of us) there is literally no chance of getting back asleep. Maybe if it wasn't so light outside (and no morning chorus - damn birds!) we would. We're quite hardwired into our work alarms going off at 6am and the little man is too, many times we'll be stirring and he'll wake up, you glance at the clock and it's 5.58 or such. Even now, me on furlough and the other half not starting work until 9 from home, we don't need to be awake before 7.30 but still wake up at 6. No alarms set for 6+ weeks.

On a related note - I had a rubbish nights sleep last night as I sunburnt my bald bean of a head yesterday and must have rubbed/banged it several times as woke up with it throbbing. Once in the night, once around 4am when the birds started yammering and then at 5.30am I groggily woke up again and couldn't get back to sleep. Have felt pretty rubbish all day doing daddy daycare, so no cycling for me tonight. If I/we sleep well and wake up usual time I want to head out for a few hours then. Do at least a 'normal' saturday kinda ride of 40-50 miles but solo, or maybe get that 4 hour hilly adventure I've had 2 scouts and 1 failed attempt at crossed off. :cool:

Soldato
But this is my point. I have evidence, for me, that it helps me sleep. (I think I posted more info in the weight loss thread, but basically nights where I ate 2,100+ cals after 5pm I only woke 1 or 2 times... I think to pee, and the times I ate less than 1,500 cals after 5pm I was waking 5, 6 or 7 times in a night.)

The bulk of current research favours eating earlier (ignoring macros for a second) to improve not just sleep quality but also a number of other measures that ultimately give you a better quality of life, which is why I suggested the books I did to give you a bit more info. They are very accessible and easy to get through.

There are way too many variables to draw a meaningful conclusion from your personal experience, but I’m sure SiS would be delighted to sell you some supplements if you think it’ll help. :p No slight on SiS who make decent if slightly overpriced products that I use myself.

Edit: FWIW the SiS supplement basically looks to be tart cherry juice in jazzed up packaging. There is some evidence supporting this as a sleep aid, but you can get a 20 serving bottle of cherry juice of Amazon for £13.99 which makes it less than half the price of the SiS.

Last edited:
Soldato
I came down sick this week super quickly. Was worried it could be Corona but fortunately came back negative. Nothing bad to say about the process, test organised for same day, loads of testing capacity (1500+ self test slots) and results back inside 2 days.

Bit of an achy neck and back Monday but just put it down to riding and yard work at the weekend. Fever Monday night, not too bad Tuesday (Got my test done), then Wednesday I was just totally fatigued and slept all day and half of Thursday, then I’ve improved quickly since, now just a few minor symptoms left. No idea what it was, ended up sick this time last year before going on holiday!

As for sleeping, I need 8.5 hours uninterrupted at least every night! Those with kids, dream on :o

So a week of no riding for me, but bit of time off can’t hurt, don’t want to put myself in a hole. Might do an easy 90 mins tomorrow if I’m feeling better still.

Soldato
A wobbling BB isn't good! Hope it's not too much movement to have damaged the BB shell.

You really have no luck with that damn gear cable! Fraying in the shifter again?! :o :(

I wouldn't say it's major but if I grab the cranks there is play.

I reckon so, shifts started to become bit laggy so it's on way out.

Soldato
I sense you’d made your mind up before posting in classic internet forum style... :p

Yes, I had. I'd ordered some. I said I'd ordered some. (Or was about to) I asked what peoples thoughts were. You said SiS do good products but they're a bit expensive, so I said I'd bought them with a 30% discount, so the 'expense' wasn't such an issue and I was happy you thought they did good products. You gave your thoughts, which kind of validated mine, I even thanked you. I'm not sure what the issue is? :)

Soldato
I came down sick this week super quickly. Was worried it could be Corona but fortunately came back negative. Nothing bad to say about the process, test organised for same day, loads of testing capacity (1500+ self test slots) and results back inside 2 days.

Bit of an achy neck and back Monday but just put it down to riding and yard work at the weekend. Fever Monday night, not too bad Tuesday (Got my test done), then Wednesday I was just totally fatigued and slept all day and half of Thursday, then I’ve improved quickly since, now just a few minor symptoms left. No idea what it was, ended up sick this time last year before going on holiday!

As for sleeping, I need 8.5 hours uninterrupted at least every night! Those with kids, dream on :o

So a week of no riding for me, but bit of time off can’t hurt, don’t want to put myself in a hole. Might do an easy 90 mins tomorrow if I’m feeling better still.

Glad you're feeling better mate. Similar symptoms to corona and workmates of my Mrs were the same. Tested negative with similar symptoms to my Mrs who was positive.

I feel like I've lost 6 months cycling rather than 2 weeks off which I would feel rested with.

Did manage 18mph for 32 miles in the wind but I felt it! Isn't helping me thay the seat post keeps slipping on the S6. Trip to the shop for fiber grip is in order.

Soldato
Will see later as plan to get out for a little ride but not push it, bring the volume back this week and not worry about the intensity. All the sitting and lying down has made my sciatica flare up.... nightmare!

Soldato
Some cycling thoughts from the weekend:
1) Does removing all your hair from your legs really make a 10w improvement as several results on Google suggest? I tried a discrete patch and the itchyness is horrific.
2) Cars are more insufferable when out on the bike this weekend then they have ever been (hurling abuse, overtaking and instantly coming to a stop to turn right etc). Is this just me? Have I gotten too used to having the roads to myself? Or is this echoed from others around the country too?
3) I need to adjust the rear derailleur on my bike as it is going down to the smaller cogs when on power automatically.

Soldato
I feel like it's been busier, so I guess more cars means more morons?

I have a helmet question... I feel mine looks bigger and more bulbous than others. What is a good, low profile, but still well protected helmet?

Maybe so. That overtake was so unnecessary though, had to slam on the breaks, locking the rear wheel, to get my speed down from the 27mph I was going (in a 30).

I have a Bell Stratus which I thought looked more slim line online but in person still felt balloning on the top. I think it is natural to think it feels a bit big initially.

Back
Top Bottom