• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Oh, Epic has already started. UE5 will be in Fornite by next year. I posted that in the UE5 thread. Yet, it's the tip of the iceburg. There is more to come as we draw closer to nextgen console release.

Out of all the games that Epic could have used (some of which would have been easily budgeted) why would they choose an Open World game like Fortnite? Something to ponder on...

Fortnite is their cash cow why wouldn't they announce it being moved over to UE5? Not sure there's really much to ponder its a UE5 tech demo running on a console which is going to release for people to make games on both PC/Console unless I completely missed something?

Soldato
Is everyone still on the 'Nvidia Killer!' train, now that we know games on the new consoles, are also going to be 4k30, and we've also seen a demo, only running at 1440p30, that didn't have RT, because of the impact it would have had, to that already pathetic performance ?

you mean the PC hype train? I never left. Consoles will always disappoint, PC is the only system that gives you exactly what you want

Caporegime
Is everyone still on the 'Nvidia Killer!' train, now that we know games on the new consoles, are also going to be 4k30, and we've also seen a demo, only running at 1440p30, that didn't have RT, because of the impact it would have had, to that already pathetic performance ?

Amd never said it was an "NVIDIA killer", just some random rumour that people have latched onto as fact (as usual).

Associate
you mean the PC hype train? I never left. Consoles will always disappoint, PC is the only system that gives you exactly what you want
I'd like to agree but I also like the concept of playing FIFA together with mates and beers or Guitar Heroes for example. There are some examples where consoles work better (perhaps I really don't know as haven't owned one since Xbox 360 a million years ago) but for non solo entertainment consoles can be fab (I think, again I haven't got kids or mates or a console so I don't know;)).

Soldato
I'd like to agree but I also like the concept of playing FIFA together with mates and beers or Guitar Heroes for example. There are some examples where consoles work better (perhaps I really don't know as haven't owned one since Xbox 360 a million years ago) but for non solo entertainment consoles can be fab (I think, again I haven't got kids or mates or a console so I don't know;)).
Very true indeed. But not many will come to terms on that.

If Modern Warfare did not have cross play it would be dead right about now on PC. Just like BO4. Yet, it's still a blast to play only waiting a few seconds or less for a match to fill up. We on the PC side need this. Unless single player games are your only thing, blah.

In the past decade I've seen the 'preeminence of gpu market' masquerading as a despot of the gaming market. Giving the illusion of "superiority" as a means to wield control. Leaving us with nothing then a faster video cards with only pinch of the gaming market to exercise it on.

Without the ecosystem of the gaming market (in particular the console) as a backbone to the ports in PC games we would be a niche. Makes me wonder how lonely it would be if I had 50 billion (plus) transistors running in circles trying to get a game going without the console ecosystem. :p
But that's just my opinion ;)

Fortnite is their cash cow why wouldn't they announce it being moved over to UE5? Not sure there's really much to ponder its a UE5 tech demo running on a console which is going to release for people to make games on both PC/Console unless I completely missed something?
We really wouldn't need a new gaming engine for that. The current one is capable of deriving new maps, skins, weapons on it's own. And to be far most who play fortnite are not aware of the engine it runs on. Nor would they care.

However, to be an attention grabber to show performance and IQ differences between the 2...

Last edited:
Soldato
Very true indeed. But not many will come to terms on that.

If Modern Warfare did not have cross play it would be dead right about now on PC. Just like BO4. Yet, it's still a blast to play only waiting a few seconds or less for a match to fill up. We on the PC side need this. Unless single player games are your only thing, blah.

In the past decade I've seen the 'preeminence of gpu market' masquerading as a despot of the gaming market. Giving the illusion of "superiority" as a means to wield control. Leaving us with nothing then a faster video cards with only pinch of the gaming market to exercise it on.

Without the ecosystem of the gaming market (in particular the console) as a backbone to the ports in PC games we would be a niche. Makes me wonder how lonely it would be if I had 50 billion (plus) transistors running in circles trying to get a game going without the console ecosystem. :p
But that's just my opinion ;)

We really wouldn't need a new gaming engine for that. The current one is capable of deriving new maps, skins, weapons on it's own. And to be far most who play fortnite are not aware of the engine it runs on. Nor would they care.

However, to be an attention grabber to show performance and IQ differences between the 2...

playing with fellow humans is quite overrated

Associate
playing with fellow humans is quite overrated
I have a mate who has that opinion. He won't play multi-player games on PC because he says "They're boring". In reality in the few times I've gamed online with him
in multiplayer he gets killed immediately and is crap simply because he's so used to running or sailing or driving headlong at the opposition and inevitably gets killed when trying the same approach with real people not bots.
He simply won't expose himself to gaming against human players because they're wiser and more circumspect and don't behave in a daft predictable way as bots/AI often do.
To put it simply he's not up to the job of fighting against real human opposition and excuses this deficiency by saying such games are 'boring'. Take CO-OP for example in World of Warships
vs Random battles, one is fairly easy but pretty drab the other is much more challenging and therefore exciting. Obviously some games and game AI are far better but as a rule bots are easier to fight against. Each to their own of course but I can understand the appeal of social gaming on a console.

Last edited:
Soldato

Ignore the nvidia killer just people like yourself making this hype train.

The demo was using a form of ray tracing for the GI no banked lighting at all was used. The engine can dynamically adapt on the fly to change from light in real time.

Lumen is a fully dynamic global illumination solution that immediately reacts to scene and light changes. The system renders diffuse interreflection with infinite bounces and indirect specular reflections in huge, detailed environments, at scales ranging from kilometers to millimeters. Artists and designers can create more dynamic scenes using Lumen, for example, changing the sun angle for time of day, turning on a flashlight, or blowing a hole in the ceiling, and indirect lighting will adapt accordingly. Lumen erases the need to wait for lightmap bakes to finish and to author light map UVs—a huge time savings when an artist can move a light inside the Unreal Editor and lighting looks the same as when the game is run on console.

Said this time and time again these little console are APUs that will always need to factor in performance or image quality.

Higher the Graphics quality like in the demo resolution and frame rate will drop.
Lower the quality and resolution and frame rate will be higher.

The fact is next gen console will look miles better than this gen why does that even matter for PC players? You will still buy a GPU that is an upgrade for yourself just the same as a console player upgrading from ps4 to ps5.

Since when are we decided on console for what we can expect on PC?
You trying to say because RDNA 2 ran this demo at 1440p 30fps then a desktop gpu will perform the same or something?
An Apu to full desktop chip is going to be massive performance jump ps5 36 cu vs not confirmed 80 cu.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
How cool would it be if AMD did take the performance crown from not only the 2080Ti but the upcoming RTX Titan or at the very least the 3080Ti. Would make a change, would love to see it personally.

But the main thing I want is for price for performance in the £300-£500 range improve drastically.

Caporegime
Amd never said it was an "NVIDIA killer", just some random rumour that people have latched onto as fact (as usual).

Must have missed that then, so they wern't calling it themselves, the Nvidia Killer internally ey :D

Im not surprised though tbh, if the consoles are anyting to go buy for the RDNA2, i think theres going to be quite a few disappointed people on here, 4k@30, and 1440p@30, and thats with no RT, ouch :p

Associate
Must have missed that then, so they wern't calling it themselves, the Nvidia Killer internally ey :D

Im not surprised though tbh, if the consoles are anyting to go buy for the RDNA2, i think theres going to be quite a few disappointed people on here, 4k@30, and 1440p@30, and thats with no RT, ouch :p
If you keep posting this it will eventually make you happy.

Soldato

Comparing it to the consoles is silly really. If AMD do actually have a high end GPU ready to compete with Nvidia's best, it'll be priced far higher than an entire console (just as the 3080 Ti will be). Consoles are always full of compromises and built down to a price, no matter how much the manufacturers or Tim Sweeney or anybody else tries to hype them up.

Caporegime
I have a mate who has that opinion. He won't play multi-player games on PC because he says "They're boring". In reality in the few times I've gamed online with him
in multiplayer he gets killed immediately and is crap simply because he's so used to running or sailing or driving headlong at the opposition and inevitably gets killed when trying the same approach with real people not bots.
He simply won't expose himself to gaming against human players because they're wiser and more circumspect and don't behave in a daft predictable way as bots/AI often do.
To put it simply he's not up to the job of fighting against real human opposition and excuses this deficiency by saying such games are 'boring'. Take CO-OP for example in World of Warships
vs Random battles, one is fairly easy but pretty drab the other is much more challenging and therefore exciting. Obviously some games and game AI are far better but as a rule bots are easier to fight against. Each to their own of course but I can understand the appeal of social gaming on a console.
I find competitive multiplayer games boring.

But then the idea of playing said games with AI bots would bore me to tears as well.

The whole genre of competitive multiplayer doesn't interest me in the slightest. Whether that's FPS or RTS or whatever.

Part of it is the fact that you are never "done" with the game like you are with a SP game. Then there's the complete absence of any kind of story, or campaign.

Ultimately there's no "point" to any computer game, but I really can't bring myself to play the same game over and over and over with no end in sight :p

At least with SP you have a well defined start point, where the game is easy, then as the story progresses it gets harder or more complicated, you enjoy the story and then it's all done. Finito.

Whereas there are still legions of people playing CS:GO today that have essentially been playing the same game for decades.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that (not at all), but it would absolutely drive me insane with boredom.

e: But then you've got the human factors as well. Playing with strangers online is often not without problems.

The AI player doesn't care if you've got 5 mins for a quick game or 5 hours. Doesn't care if you want to stop for dinner or a walk outside. And also doesn't have to do those things itself :p Doesn't moan or whine about your choice of map.

The AI player will never rage quit, or shower you in a stream of expletives for making a rookie mistake (seriously, being a new player in an established game is often very much *not* fun).

Yadda, yadda.

Last edited:
Soldato

Dynamic™ 1440p :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom