• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
id love to get the 3080ti but the ££££ is going to put me off this time last time I had the money for the 2080ti don't think I can pay a grand this time.
You still have options to upgrade though. You can get either upgrade to a 3070 or a 3080. They will both have substantially better Ray Tracing performance than your 2080Ti :)

Associate
Consoles will come out with equivalent hardware to a mid-high PC, as they always have. They will shine at first for cutting edge features, they will shine mid-life as developers work out how tonget the best of them, and they will lag horribly for a while at the end.

Twas ever so...

Soldato
What average joe has a computer with a 3700x, RTX2080 and 1TB PCIE 4.0 NVME SSD sitting on their desk at home? It is technically better than the PC most average joes have.

If the devs will aim for 4k@30/60fps, then average joe at 1080p will be "safe" even with weaker hardware.

I mean just think how weak the original xbox/PS is now. No wonder MS and Sony had to release the ONE X and pro versions.

They're weak because they weren't strong to begin with. Strongest GPU was 1.84TF (ps4), while r290x launch about the same time had 5.63TF. That would mean AMD's next cards should be around 36.72TF, which I doubt will be. More so at $549 as the r290x was. Add on top the CPU and fast SSD and will take a little more time for the PC to leave them in the dust this time around. :)

Soldato
You may as well say you're not buying. Surely performance is more important than saying what you will or won't buy at X price point?

Which I did. I said I wasn't a betting man. I'm not counting on getting a 3080 ti for 700. It will most likely be something from AMD's camp unless they go ham on the prices as well and if that happens, well then my Vega 64 will get even more polygons to render.

Caporegime
If the devs will aim for 4k@30/60fps, then average joe at 1080p will be "safe" even with weaker hardware.

They're weak because they weren't strong to begin with. Strongest GPU was 1.84TF (ps4), while r290x launch about the same time had 5.63TF. That would mean AMD's next cards should be around 36.72TF, which I doubt will be. More so at $549 as the r290x was. Add on top the CPU and fast SSD and will take a little more time for the PC to leave them in the dust this time around. :)

yeh, but when these launch the 3080ti will be out which will likely do many more flops than the ps5 or xbox x.

Rumours are it is 21 Tflops...

Soldato
yeh, but when these launch the 3080ti will be out which will likely do many more flops than the ps5 or xbox x.

From 21 to 36+ is a long way (probably 2-3 generations away), plus there's a high chance that 3080ti will be at least twice the price of that r290x back then....

Associate
Nvidia and Intel are desperate to string this process out for as long as possible to milk the market. It's clear lifelike photorealistic gaming is going to be massively popular globally very soon as barriers to entry for the consumer will drop through the floor. Look at phones and their meteoric progress. GTA 5 being the best selling entertainment product in human history from 5 years ago points the way. If you're young just wait and enjoy. If you're old and might die soon then spend and spend big. I'm between the two but 5960X at 4.5Ghz and 1080ti SLI, 32GB DDR4 at 3000mhz 13,13,13,34 destroys most games where supported and many when not. 3700X/3800X/3900X are amazing value. All this stuff is becoming a commodity rapidly don't get sucked into believing the hype. If everything we use needs it or an iteration of it then it becomes like ball bearings. A well funded Chinese competitor (see Huawei in mobile phones) will accelerate this process.

Soldato
Nvidia and Intel are desperate to string this process out for as long as possible to milk the market. It's clear lifelike photorealistic gaming is going to be massively popular globally very soon as barriers to entry for the consumer will drop through the floor. Look at phones and their meteoric progress. GTA 5 being the best selling entertainment product in human history from 5 years ago points the way. If you're young just wait and enjoy. If you're old and might die soon then spend and spend big. I'm between the two but 5960X at 4.5Ghz and 1080ti SLI, 32GB DDR4 at 3000mhz 13,13,13,34 destroys most games where supported and many when not. 3700X/3800X/3900X are amazing value. All this stuff is becoming a commodity rapidly don't get sucked into believing the hype. If everything we use needs it or an iteration of it then it becomes like ball bearings. A well funded Chinese competitor (see Huawei in mobile phones) will accelerate this process.

In a differnt thread few people said they would'nt want competion from the likes of Intel in the GPU market, what make you think they buy a Huawei GPU ?

Soldato

20ish Tflops is about right.
The A100 comes in with 50% higher SP FP32 and low clocks, cut back the cores for the 3080ti and add higher clocks in - should keep 40 to 50% SP FP32 that Ampere provides.

Also worth noting that Nvidias tflops are base clocks, actual tflops are higher - the 2080ti can already reach 19tflop so given the advancement Ampere shows is guess 20tflop base clock and up to 30tflop under load with some overclocking

Doesn't really matter how we choose to cut the mustard now, the end result stays the same which is the 3080ti should be 50% faster than the 2080ti in traditional raster workloads, if not then Nvidia messed something up real bad

Caporegime
20ish Tflops is about right.
The A100 comes in with 50% higher SP FP32 and low clocks, cut back the cores for the 3080ti and add higher clocks in - should keep 40 to 50% SP FP32 that Ampere provides.

Also worth noting that Nvidias tflops are base clocks, actual tflops are higher - the 2080ti can already reach 19tflop so given the advancement Ampere shows is guess 20tflop base clock and up to 30tflop under load with some overclocking

Doesn't really matter how we choose to cut the mustard now, the end result stays the same which is the 3080ti should be 50% faster than the 2080ti in traditional raster workloads, if not then Nvidia messed something up real bad

The A100 put emphasis on very advanced Tensor cores that simply wont wo needed for consumers. The gaming version will use tensor cores closer Turing in design and complexity. Along with the obvious reductions in L1/L2 cache, fp64, large HBM memory controller, massive NVLink IO interface etc there wukk be plenty of space for a large increase in CUDA cores and RT cores

Soldato
AMD still have nothing to compete so Nvidia is in no rush

Well, indeed. I think AMD are very happy to exist in the "mainstream" segment until they have something worthwhile.
Assuming ampere is 50-80% faster than turing (and assuming most of that isn't talking "during RTX" which, I'm being pragmatic, it probably ISN'T just RTX), Big Navi originally purported to be about 30% over 2080ti... yeah, Ampere should win.

I wouldn't want to be a betting man at the moment though.

Back
Top Bottom