• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Associate
If you want it, and have the cash to spare, then go for it.
For me, I think I'm gonna wait for the B550 ITX boards to make an appearance, and then move over to Ryzen.

at the moment my income is small, and theres other items id like to buy too, like a go pro hero 8 black, and dji mavic mini, shh shifter, doing my room up, and to travel more...

so not a easy choice for me :(

Soldato
its not much difference from buying intel ;)

Exactly. If the it was intel, you would have a gang ranting about buying into a dead end platform.

But the reality is, if you did buy a new Mobo/cpu it has the potential to last you several years, so for me, I couldn't care less.

If I see my system struggle (1080ti/5960x) then I would probably buy a b550

Associate
i want the extras of the fancy chipset(s) :(, but also dont want the little fan :(

but yeah if you buy top end (ish) cpu but things dont really progress then it doesnt really matter. or buying a low end chip to upgrade later then progress on same platform is nice

Caporegime
I'm really bad at choosing when to wait and when to buy.

3up1ko.jpg

Can't see much point in the B550 now. X670 will arrive with the new 4000 desktop chips, and that's supposed to be October now.

Meh.

Associate
Can't see much point in the B550 now. X670 will arrive with the new 4000 desktop chips, and that's supposed to be October now. Meh.

Hopefully, it will get released before the desktop 4000 APU's. Judging by the performance of their mobile counterparts, they will be very nice chips in need of a PCI4 compatible motherboard.

Associate
i want the extras of the fancy chipset(s) :(, but also dont want the little fan :(

but yeah if you buy top end (ish) cpu but things dont really progress then it doesnt really matter. or buying a low end chip to upgrade later then progress on same platform is nice

My chipset temp stays around 55c and the fan doesn't come om, i've not heard it once.

Associate
I went Ivy Bridge i5 to 3600, great upgrade. Basically it means I'm sorted for gaming again. It's nice having hyperthreading. I'm not too bothered about the lack of 450 chipset upgrade news, this tiny BIOS was always a gamble anyway. The whole waiting/not waiting thing, is up to you. I upgraded and have been clocking up some furlough gaming at just the right time for me. I'm not ruling out upgrading to Intel 10nm if its good, or AMD Zen 4 if that's good etc. Maybe 4K monitor if a GPU comes out that's fast enough.

I'm less bothered about crazy fast nvme drives because often real world performance just isn't noticeable.

2.5Gbps+ Ethernet would be nice maybe.

Soldato
I went i5-2500k to a 3600 also. Fantastic difference. I went with an X570 board as I knew at some point I will drop in a 12 or 16 core chip from the 3000 or 4000 series. As most on here, I probably won't upgrade much in the next 6-8 years once I do that.

Associate
Waiting to upgrade my 4.5GHz i5 2500k - most likely go to a B550 combo but if I could find a cheapish 3770k it might keep me going for a little while longer and can put the 2500k in my son's PC.

Unfortunately the 3770k seems to be holding a silly value but checking CEX daily as they are selling them for £85 when they get in stock which seems to be very rare unfortunately which makes sense when you see what they are going for on ebay.

Associate
Sitting on a 5960X at 4.5ghz and no real need to upgrade. Tempted by Zen 3 but not sure I'll see much in the way of gaming gains at 4K with 1080ti SLI.

Soldato
I think I've left it too long to upgrade now
3930K @4ghz
32Gb DDR3 1866
2 SSD raid 0
X79 Rampage IV extreme
Xfire R9 290's

With Zen 3 being the last of the current gen I'm thinking of a partial upgrade. I could get a decent gfx card in the next refresh as the 290's struggle with QHD, not that I game much, more console now.
I could also get a NVMe drive as the rampage has 1 slot for that @ PCIe 3
I'm thinking a new gfx card and faster storage should keep me going until Zen 4?

I only use my PC for photo editing (a lot) so does that sound sensible?
I know Ram timings will be pants for initial Zen 4 mobos but after 1866, anything will seem fast.

Back
Top Bottom