Monitor Newb - Shopping for an ultrawide - VG35VQ, 34WL85C, Something else???

Associate
Hi all,

Planning my first monitor upgrade in about 10 years, currently have a Samsung S24D590L - 1080p, 5ms G2G, IPS, 60hz nothing spectacular (full details here).

A friend of mine has an Acer XR342CK and it looks fantastic albeit a little old now and I want to jump on the ultrawide bandwagon - ideally with something similar/slightly better at a £600ish price point.

I'm by no means a videophile so I don't need the latest and greatest display, as long as it produces a good quality picture (I do a lot of coding/webdev/spreadsheet work) and is okay for casual gaming (currently playing Division 2 and UT2004 :D).

The VG35VQ and 34WL85C appear to be good mid-range offerings from OCUK with the former being VA and the latter IPS. I've found limited reviews of both online but the ASUS TUF Gaming technology in the VG series of monitors appears to be lacking somewhat? On the flip side the 34WL85C is only 60hz.

Grateful for any advice or pointers on anything I've missed/not considering. If there are other monitors at this price point that I should be looking at as well please share.

Key requirements are:
  • 3440x1440 resolution
  • Curved display 1800-1900R
  • Under £600
Very many thanks,
J

Associate
Well if you ever consider 144 Hz being more important than curved, consider the iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1, it's going for £400 but is flat.

For under £600 that fit the key requirements you have the Nixeus EDG34S (but it doesn't have front side LED indicating the power is on, or height adjustment)

And if you want the best VA panel at that resolution, 1800R and 144Hz, you have the MSI Optix MPG341CQR.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...klit-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-00q-ms.html

Back
Top Bottom