• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Man of Honour
These latest ones are the first in about 3 releases that are, for me, good in all aspects. Perfect in VR, perfect in game, perfect in teams etc. The last 3 releases would black screen my 7 randomly in teams video calls. First time I have experienced that but these new ones are all good. Happy with that as was still using a november release driver up until about a week ago.

Associate
Cheers lads.
Right... So I'm on 2.2 at the moment, had the same black screen at boot. Unplugged the HDMI cable and popped it back in, immediate signal.
Something to do with a HDMI handshake or something?

Guess it's a good excuse to order a 27" 1440 144hz monitor with DP then :D

Soldato
Cheers lads.
Right... So I'm on 2.2 at the moment, had the same black screen at boot. Unplugged the HDMI cable and popped it back in, immediate signal.
Something to do with a HDMI handshake or something?

Guess it's a good excuse to order a 27" 1440 144hz monitor with DP then :D

That could be it, my TV is HDMI and I'm getting nothing but black screens on the TV with the last few sets of drivers. Monitors work ok and they are dp.

Soldato
Flip after going back to the old drivers that were previously stable, now I'm getting black screens (on TV, not monitors) on the old drivers too!

Which ones are stable?

Soldato
20.3 were fine, then I installed 20.4 and got black screens so I uninstalled, went back to 20.3 and now I'm getting black screen with them when they were previously fine!?

Does the AMD uninstall not actually uninstall everything? Years ago you had to use some program to fully uninstall all the drivers, is that still the case?

Soldato
DDU not amd uninstall. Should fix it.

If your using amd chipsets tho becareful as it might uninstall them drivers, unless theres a option in ddu to avoid that and just uninstalls only the gpu stuff. Which im sure it has by now.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v18024-released

Also remember to install ur monitors driver if there is one available on their website instead of using generic windows ones.

Soldato
Doea AMD have something similar to the Nvidia Geforce experience?

I'm looking at these cards

1660 Super @ £230
5600xt @ £260
2060/5700 @ £300

Apart from the 1660 Super being the cheapest and therefore suiting my budget, I've had an Nvidia card for so long I've come To like the force experience thing where I can press a button and it saves the last 5 mins of game play. (Without any FPS drop from using)

With AMD looking to be the better value in terms of price/performance I'm seriously considering team red.

Soldato
Amd has replays, live streaming, streaming to hdd, and a few other things. It doesnt have the auto suggest settings per game based on fps or quality or in-between tho.
Cool. What about setting up to record the last say 5 mins at the touch of a button?

Edit: just found it on the AMD website. Hmm. Team red might be the way to go then.

Soldato
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-023

• Media Save Location
    A folder where all captured screenshots and recorded gameplay videos are stored. The default location is within your Windows > Users > Username > Videos folder. However, you may specify another a folder or hard drive of your preference.

NOTE! Since gameplay video recordings can be very large, please select a hard drive with adequate free disk space.
  • Instant Replay
    Continuously record your gameplay which allows you to playback up to the last 20 minutes of the session. When enabled, you can adjust the replay duration in increments of 15 seconds, up to a maximum total of 20 minutes per replay, using the Instant Replay Duration slider.

NOTE! Instant Replay video files are stored in your Media save location folder. It can be used to playback recent captured content that was not flagged for instant replay.
  • Instant Replay Buffer
    Allows you to choose whether the gameplay footage is buffered to disk storage or system memory.
  • Instant GIF
    Allows short segments of recorded gameplay to be encoded into the GIF format. Images and short videos are compressed to dramatically reduce file size.

When enabled, you can adjust may the length of the GIF recording from 1 to 30 seconds, using the Instant GIF Duration slider. You can also specify the quality setting using the Instant GIF Quality option, which includes; High (1280x720), Medium (960x540), and Low (640x360).

NOTE! Instant GIF video files are stored in your Media saved location folder.
  • In-Game Replay
    Provides an immediate view of a short clip of recorded Instant Replay video, overlaid on the in-game screen, without having to interrupt gameplay.

When enabled, you can adjust the length of the in-game replay from 1 to second seconds, using the In-Game Replay Duration slider.

The size of In-Game Replay video can be selected from: You can also specify the In-Game Replay video position relative to your screen area, choose from; Small, Medium, Large, and Custom.

You can also specify the In-Game Replay video position relative to your screen area, choose from; Top Left, Top Right, Bottom Left, Bottom Right, Centered, and Custom.
  • Audio Capture Device
    Select from a list of detected microphones to capture audio while recording gameplay.
I hear saving to ram is better, i dunno how you save to ram then the hdd later tho. But yeah its got a save last x mins of gameplay as it continuously saves a buffer of last x mins till you wana clip it. Not used it personally mind you so dunno how good it is.

Associate
Cool. What about setting up to record the last say 5 mins at the touch of a button?

Edit: just found it on the AMD website. Hmm. Team red might be the way to go then.

Yes you can do that AMD call it the relive feature. Here's a video on how to enable instant replays (record) and adjust the settings :-

Caporegime
That seems to have done the trick.
I also cranked it all the way up to 100Mb/s. there is the odd pause but its rare, i'm quite happy with it now, the image quality tho is still a bit naff...

These screenshot are from a different time of day, i'm not waiting for the planet to spin back round again.....

The first screenshot if from an older video recorded on my GTX 1070 at 50 Mb/s 1440P, its actually a screenshot from the Youtube playback.

The second is from the video file the 5700XT recording produced, also at 50Mb/s 1440P. the GTX 1070 recording was crystal clear, the original recoding was almost like playing the game, only a slight fuzziness about it.

Aside from the dark graininess of the video also Look at the fine detail, its broken up with horrible colour banding in it.

The Youtube video from the GTX 1070 recording actually looks much better than the raw file the 5700XT produced....

3MLYXbX.jpg.png

UO87UFT.jpg.png

Soldato
I have noticed on my ultrawide with the latest driver that when I exit a game the screen refresh goes to around 48Hz and won't go back for a fair few minutes to its 100Hz setting, If I disable Freesync in the driver this doesn't happen.

These screenshot are from a different time of day, I'm not waiting for the planet to spin back round again.....

The first screenshot if from an older video recorded on my GTX 1070 at 50 Mb/s 1440P, its actually a screenshot from the Youtube playback.

The second is from the video file the 5700XT recording produced, also at 50Mb/s 1440P. the GTX 1070 recording was crystal clear, the original recoding was almost like playing the game, only a slight fuzziness about it.

Aside from the dark graininess of the video also Look at the fine detail, its broken up with horrible colour banding in it.

The Youtube video from the GTX 1070 recording actually looks much better than the raw file the 5700XT produced....

I've noticed that Shadowplay definitely gives a better picture too compared to AMD's offering but as I don't have an Nvidia card I use Action by Mirillis, Although it costs £29.99 on Steam, It definitely gives REALLY crystal clear recordings even when compared to Shadowplay.

Last edited:
Associate
These screenshot are from a different time of day, i'm not waiting for the planet to spin back round again.....

Have you tried other software options

Forgot to add in my last response, you can get a trial version of Bandicam, but this feels like AMD in build offerings seems to a very basic at how it handles the capture.

If you use OBS for example, you can see the options you can tweak the encoder ( you don't have to but it shows that AMD really operates its game capture in a really basic manner).

Associate
I will look into other software guys thanks, i just think its a shame i should have to....

I don't disagree with you, seems like AMD only have included the feature and provided basic bit rates as opposed to how the encoder is used and also if any additional processing is to take place.

I believe the AMF codec used in OBS is actually based on AMDs gpu open so actually is more advanced then AMDs own codec.

Back
Top Bottom