Help me to install a some software please

Man of Honour
It's taken me ages but I did my first re-install of Win10 onto a new SSD I bought two years ago to do it.
Everything has installed with no problems (touch wood) but I just can't get Cakewalk Sonar to install and get this error -

installsonar.png

You may blame the Synology so I tried it from my F: drive and my E: drive

installsonar2.png

I've tried everything to get permissions but nothing works.
I have installed everything else from the Synology with no problems.

This could be Sophos Endpoint stopping it because I had to install the NHS version to WfH but I can't disable it or uninstall it because it seems to be locked down.

I've even tried to get into Safe Mode but I've pressed every F key with no luck.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Soldato
Have you tried to copy the setup files to the pc and trying to install it from there rather directly from the nas?

Soldato
for safe mode
type msconfig in search box
go to boot tab in msconfig
select safe boot and apply
restart pc
once finished in safe mode do msconfig again and untick safe boot

for installing did you try run as admin?
can also google for take ownership
it lets you take control of most stuff by right clicking
and selecting take ownership
there are some files you cant take ownership of
but it works for a lot of stuff

Man of Honour
OP
for safe mode
type msconfig in search box
go to boot tab in msconfig
select safe boot and apply
restart pc
once finished in safe mode do msconfig again and untick safe boot

Tried that and I had zero antivirus and still got the same error.
I think something has gone wrong with the setup.exe

Thanks

Update
Sophos identifies the setup.exe immediately as an MI PUA and either disables it or deletes it.
When I drop to safe mode I still can't uninstall Sophos because I need an Admin password.
I know last week I could disable Sophos but on this new install I can't.

Last edited:
Soldato
I might be missing something, but when I reinstall Windows it doesn't install third party antivirus as Windows already has Windows Defender - therefore if you want a third party AV, you install it yourself. Or was it a prebuilt ISO supplied by the NHS?

Soldato
Tried that and I had zero antivirus and still got the same error.
I think something has gone wrong with the setup.exe

Thanks

Update
Sophos identifies the setup.exe immediately as an MI PUA and either disables it or deletes it.
When I drop to safe mode I still can't uninstall Sophos because I need an Admin password.
I know last week I could disable Sophos but on this new install I can't.
a lot of stuff wont install in safe mode unfortunately
will either give error messages like you got
or just do nothing at all
i use free winaero tweaker its got a few really useful options
including one to enable installing stuff while in safe mode
also has a tweak to allow restarting in safe mode
either directly from the desktop
or by adding the advanced options to the boot menu
though the 2nd one means each boot you need to press enter
to make a selection which some may find annoying i guess
but to me its very useful

Man of Honour
OP
I might be missing something, but when I reinstall Windows it doesn't install third party antivirus as Windows already has Windows Defender - therefore if you want a third party AV, you install it yourself. Or was it a prebuilt ISO supplied by the NHS?

I have to WfH so the NHS have give me the software to do it, one is Sophos Endpoint which takes over from Defender.
I have totally reinstalled Win10 on Thursday from a USB (BRILLIANT) and then installed 80% of my required software before installing Sophos.
Yesterday I decided to install the remaining software I use but it wouldn't install Cakewalk Sonar.
I want to uninstall Sophos so that I can install Cakewalk and then install Sophos again.

Soldato
I'm not saying this will help, because you've probably already tried it while looking for a solution, but it's worth a shot:
1:open services.msc

2: stop Sophos Anti-Virus

3: open notepass as admin

4: open C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Anti-Virus\Config\machine.xml

5:Find the below and change xxxxxxxxx to E8F97FBA9104D1EA5047948E6DFB67FACD9F5B73

</DeviceControlManager>
<TamperProtectionManagement><settings>
<password>xxxxxxxxx</password><enabled>true</enabled></settings>
</TamperProtectionManagement>

6: start Sophos Anti-Virus

7:open sophos and the password will be password YAY

8:question the purpose of this "security feature"
https://community.sophos.com/produc...phos-but-no-tamper-protection-password/294028

Man of Honour
OP
I'm not saying this will help, because you've probably already tried it while looking for a solution, but it's worth a shot:https://community.sophos.com/produc...phos-but-no-tamper-protection-password/294028

Thanks for that but I think Sophos has now caused other 'damage' to the registry/windows because when I drop down to Safe Mode with no anti virus I still have the same errors.
UPDATE - I tried the above but STOP Sophos is greyed out.

So I thought perhaps Sophos has put an entry into the Registry to stop setup.exe from running and I deleted two entries but no luck.
I sent setup.exe to two friends who ran it and it kicks into the install screen so it is OK so therefore something in my software is stopping it.

I then found an 128gb SSD, installed Windows 10 and installed Sonar with no problem so there is an entry on my software somewhere saying I can't use that file.
It looks like tomorrow I'll be setting up my new SSD again to shift that rogue entry unless someone has a solution.

installsonarf.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
probably tried it already
but can you add exceptions in sophos
or if its already blocked the setup exe tell sophos to unblock/whitelist it
or assuming your origanal hard drive didnt have sophos on it
just clone it to the ssd
then add sophos once you have everything you want installed

Soldato
With Sophos every computer has a unique tamper protection password (your IT department will absolutely have this). Once you put that password in you can disable tamper protection and then temporarily override policy (ie. to let you install the software) or to uninstall Sophos. But you might find the application itself is considered a "potentially unwanted application" so even if you install it, once the Sophos policy reapplies it will block it again. If that is the case the only option would be to ask your IT to allow the software, or not to use their Sophos.

Alternative you can try this to remove tamper protection if they won't give you the code so that you can uninstall it:
https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/124377

Soldato
The error says it's a permission issue, I would have thought any AV software would give you it's own warning.

Is F: mapped to the network share or a local disk?

Does copying the source files to C:\temp work?

Man of Honour
OP
Does copying the source files to C:\temp work?

If I put setup.exe anywhere over my 3 hard drives and NAS, Sophos will delete it.

Here's a video of me putting the file into the Temp folder straight out of a ZIP file.

http://www.dmpoole.co.uk/pics/sophos.mp4

Now even if I drop down to Safe Mode with no Sophos and do the same thing the file will not be deleted but my Windows installation still won't run it because I think Sophos has placed something in the registry to stop that exact file from running.

Last edited:
Soldato
Years ago when I supported sophos you could submit a file to sophos via their portal, didn't need a support account.

Sophos would analyse and whitelist the same day, had a tour of their labs once, the process is automated so reduced staff due to covid shouldn't have any impact. If you get your virus definitions directly from sophos, this will depend how you sophos installer was packaged and you can check source in the settings\logs, you should be able to install in a day or two.

Here's the URL

https://secure2.sophos.com/en-us/support/submit-a-sample.aspx

Back
Top Bottom