What's the Sony Aii like

Caporegime
Assume you mean the A7ii? I don't own Sony but plenty of users on here including a dedicated thread :)

Also - the A7iii is likely more comparable to the Z6. The A7ii is still decent and should be a fair bit cheaper than the Z6.

Man of Honour
I don't know a huge amount about cameras but I've always liked the A7 - seems to produce images that have that "photographic" look with minimal effort and the low and/or varied light conditions performance is excellent. Though unless you are much better with cameras than me it seems to produce slightly softer images, though it isn't a big deal, than some of the comparable cameras from the competition.

Soldato
OP
Are you looking for a photo, video or a bit of both camera?

More photo than video. It's something to tag along with my D850. I haven't had the chance to look at any reviews yet. I was wondering whether they managed to bring the eye detect up to a level similar to the A7iii with an update. I noticed a couple of weeks ago the eye detect was improving on the Z6 but wasn't quite up to par with the A7iii. The A7ii is quite cheap at the moment.

Associate
As far as I'm aware, the a7ii doesn't have eye detection? For me, the biggest flaw with the a7ii is the batter life, absolutely shocking haha. Still takes decent pics though.

Soldato
Why don't you just save up more and go for the A7 iii? Also, what about the Canon EOS R from what I know that has good eye detect auto focus.

This video might be helpful to you OP.

Soldato
Definitely skip the A7 II for the A7 III if only to avoid the dreadful NP-FW50 battery.
Be aware the F-to-E adapters are not in the same league as those for EF-to-E. Canon are much more obliging than Nikon when it comes to releasing details of the lens mount and everything for Nikon has to be reverse-engineered.

Soldato
OP
Definitely skip the A7 II for the A7 III if only to avoid the dreadful NP-FW50 battery.
Be aware the F-to-E adapters are not in the same league as those for EF-to-E. Canon are much more obliging than Nikon when it comes to releasing details of the lens mount and everything for Nikon has to be reverse-engineered.

I'm sort of caught between a rock and a hard-place. I thought that if I got the Sony I could at least get away with using my Sigmas 105 mm f1.4 & 150-600 with full auto focus and aperture control etc. It's giving me a headache trying to find an adapter that would work. I could use the rest manually..

Last edited:
Soldato
From what I've read elsewhere, the Metabones adapter is the only one that's worthwhile. Your lenses may well work but AF won't be speedy. Probably better with the A7 III than II.
As an A7r III owner, it pains me to say it but your needs might be better suited to the Z6.

Soldato
OP
I
From what I've read elsewhere, the Metabones adapter is the only one that's worthwhile. Your lenses may well work but AF won't be speedy. Probably better with the A7 III than II.
As an A7r III owner, it pains me to say it but your needs might be better suited to the Z6.

I'm making steady progress. At least I know the Sigma 105 f1.4 Artis doable on the A7iii along with the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 G. Just leaves the Sigma 150-600. I have seen the 150-600 Tamron work.

Boring video though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQl0fJDu0uY

Back
Top Bottom