• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
I have the 2070 Super ill be getting the 3080Ti what ever the price, I play mostly VR games and much of my time spent in VR is on iRacing im wanting max settings and also maintain the highest FPS i can get on my HMD

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just think the jump in price, relatively, from the 1000 to 2000 series is worrying people that without competition Nvidia will continue the trend. Hope you're right though!
But end of the day they can only go so far before it hurts their bottom line. At least with Turing that had an excuse with huge die's and R&D for RT+DLSS. What will be their excuse this time?

Associate
I think all the 3000 cards will be slightly cheaper than the 2000 series was and people will think they are a bargain, completely forgetting that the 2000 series was/is crazy priced compared to previous generations.

Associate
I have the 2070 Super ill be getting the 3080Ti what ever the price, I play mostly VR games and much of my time spent in VR is on iRacing im wanting max settings and also maintain the highest FPS i can get on my HMD

If you have the spare cash then go for it :D I always buy just under the 'top tier' so probably 3080, it's just so fast moving there is no point in top line unless I have cash to burn or really need it

Soldato
I think that the earlier they release the cards the more they will be able to charge, thanks to the impending releases of the new consoles. Once the new consoles are released - or even in the close offing - then the value proposition changes radically and consumers are going to ask why they should pay £X when they can get a whole console for £Y. And then there's the whole competition thing, with the consoles being powered by AMD chips.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think all the 3000 cards will be slightly cheaper than the 2000 series was and people will think they are a bargain, completely forgetting that the 2000 series was/is crazy priced compared to previous generations.
Indeed. So many people with short memories unfortunately.

When these come out and are cheaper people will be praising Nvidia and saying they are a bargain when they will still be overpriced anyways. I remember when the GTX 460 came out and was priced competitively and people were all going mad in here praising Nvidia as they were not used to Nvidia offering such value for money in a card.

Associate
Indeed. So many people with short memories unfortunately.

When these come out and are cheaper people will be praising Nvidia and saying they are a bargain when they will still be overpriced anyways. I remember when the GTX 460 came out and was priced competitively and people were all going mad in here praising Nvidia as they were not used to Nvidia offering such value for money in a card.

Must admit it has worked on me a bit tbh, I thought the £550 or something I spent on my 1080ti was more than I would ever pay again.
But now I'm thinking i will be willing to spend in the £600s for a 3080 to get a 50% uplift in performance.

If it cant meet that criteria tho or is more expensive I'm out. Praying amd are in the game too, to give more options at the high end.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Must admit it has worked on me a bit tbh, I thought the £550 or something I spent on my 1080ti was more than I would ever pay again.
But now I'm thinking i will be willing to spend in the £600s for a 3080 to get a 50% uplift in performance.

If it cant meet that criteria tho or is more expensive I'm out. Praying amd are in the game too, to give more options at the high end.
Same here mate, same here. I used to think top end cards should be around £200-£300 as I remember getting my 4870 which was the best card money could buy at the time for £200...(sure exchange rate played a part, but even so still card prices have sky rocketed). Now for a mid range 3070 they got me thinking £400-£500 normal. I know it is still over priced (nvidia’s share prices have rocketed for a reason), but better to have waited and pay that than Buying a 2080Ti for 2-3 times the cost. Happy to have waited too as there have been no triple a games released where I need the grunt anyway in the time I waited.

At least the 3070 will have much better RT performance and there will be some games that actually are available to use it on :)

Soldato
Does anyone have the launch prices (real prices that they were available to buy at in the UK with VAT, not paper launch dollar prices) for the 980ti, 1080ti and 2080ti? And also perhaps the 970, 1070 and 2070?
Cheapest 980Ti i believe was £540 at launch, £689.99 for a 1080Ti and £1049 for the 2080Ti.

Associate
Same here mate, same here. I used to think top end cards should be around £200-£300 as I remember getting my 4870 which was the best card money could buy at the time for £200...(sure exchange rate played a part, but even so still card prices have sky rocketed). Now for a mid range 3070 they got me thinking £400-£500 normal. I know it is still over priced (nvidia’s share prices have rocketed for a reason), but better to have waited and pay that than Buying a 2080Ti for 2-3 times the cost. Happy to have waited too as there have been no triple a games released where I need the grunt anyway in the time I waited.

At least the 3070 will have much better RT performance and there will be some games that actually are available to use it on :)

That's exactly it, they have got us by the short and curley's with no competition at the high end.
People like us that know it's wrong have literally no choice but to pay up, been building PCs for 20 years so I'm not going to stop now for the sake of a few hundred pounds every few years.
But it really winds me up.

Having said that I payed £385 for a 6800gt like 15 years ago? so with inflation probably £600 odd.
But that is my absolute ceiling, £1k GPU's is absolute nonsense.

Soldato
I just upgraded for a Rift CV1 to an HP Reverb and was concerned it would bring my 1080ti to its knees....but it's running my favorite sim (Project Cars 2) beautifully with a mixture of medium/low settings.

It would be nice to max all graphics settings with a better GPU, but it looks good enough now that if Nvidia want's to overcharge for their cards again, I can just sit on my wallet.

Associate
If you have the spare cash then go for it :D I always buy just under the 'top tier' so probably 3080, it's just so fast moving there is no point in top line unless I have cash to burn or really need it

Yeah i normaly buy just under the top tier too but This Gen coming and im more into the VR side of gaming these days, im going all in on the 30 series plus ill have a 2070 Super to sell on :)

Associate
I just upgraded for a Rift CV1 to an HP Reverb and was concerned it would bring my 1080ti to its knees....but it's running my favorite sim (Project Cars 2) beautifully with a mixture of medium/low settings.

It would be nice to max all graphics settings with a better GPU, but it looks good enough now that if Nvidia want's to overcharge for their cards again, I can just sit on my wallet.

Pcars2 is glorious in vr, worked awsome in my cv1 but game started not regeresting my csl elite so cant play it anymore.
Acc in vr is horrible, will upgrade vr when I've got more gpu horsepower.

Reverb a big jump in clarity?

Back
Top Bottom