Football and the Coronavirus

Soldato
why not?
they're sat in a confined space and therefore greater risk of transfer than people running around and not remaining in contact with each other.

Don
Record viewing figures in Germany for yesterday's game(s). No surprise there - despite some of the complaints that it'll be boring, lots of people are desperate for live sport to return.

Man of Honour
Silly passing game? :confused:

I miss the atmosphere but I try not to compare it to what I'm used to. Sitting down to watch some quality football is always enjoyable for me, especially now that weekends don't feel much different to weekdays.

Don
All footballers in the world were UK born and bred? And your perception of how kids are scouted and sign for clubs is completely wrong.

Don
Sorry I was confused as you were talking about the highest paid players in the world and teams in Europe. Your idea of how players are scouted and signed now is still completely wrong.

Don
You're losing me now. You mentioned football camps that parents have to pay to send their kids to - obviously there might be the odd exception but pro players today are not discovered at these training camps. They're nothing more than a small money making exercise for clubs - kids get to go train at their favourite club, parents get the kids off their hands and clubs make a bit of money. Kids are still scouted in the same ways they were 50 years ago, playing at local club sides and school boy football. The only difference is clubs are not just scouting the kids in a 30 mile radius of their City but over the whole world.

Caporegime
In about 2005, a teammate in my brothers junior team was scouted for Chelsea. Just a local kids sunday league. I was talking to the teams manager one day and he pointed out three blokes around the pitch who were all from different top premier league and championship clubs. I think they were Chelsea, West Ham and Millwall.

Soldato
Football is still very much a working class sport, maybe not at the ownership level, but certainly with regards the players. In fact I'd say that people from more privileged backgrounds are often made to feel a bit odd in football. Graeme Le Saux got mocked for being 'posh' and I remember early on in his career people used to criticise Kaka's motivation versus his compatriots and rivals because he'd had a financially comfortable upbringing and hadn't had to battle his way out of slums like some Brazilian players.

If we were going to criticise any sport for elitism it would be golf or F1 that would immediately spring to mind, not football.

Back
Top Bottom