• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unreal Engine 5 - unbelievable.

Associate
What was wrong with the water, bays and birds, actually even the character animations were fine, just the model felt like a completely different art style due to the photorealistic environment and lighting.

The water was awful, it was only brief of course but looked really bad, birds/bats the same.

The character while animation was good just took me out of it completely, as you say a different art style so that was probably it, expected something that fit a little better maybe

Man of Honour
The water definitely needed some work - I guess they over exaggerated it for effect and from how quickly they moved the camera on I guess they knew it needed some work.

I think part of the problem is they aren't able to use the same implementation for static scenery and animated character models, etc. which is partly why the character looked out of place - the different art style didn't help either.

Soldato
UE5 tech demo on a RTX 2080 & 970 EVO Plus notebook is 1440p40
Epic China engineers’ interview, if you know Chinese you can confirm it by yourself.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1kK411W7fK

• 53:00, he said his notebook could run at 1440p 40fps+, optimization target is 60fps for next-gen.

• 2:08:00, SSD bandwidth (for the flying part) isn’t as that high as ppl said, not need a stricted spec SSD (decent SSD is ok).

• Someone at TGFCer forum said, the engineer just confirmed to him: RTX 2080 GPU notebook but forgot the exact SSD model, maybe 970 EVO Plus
A desktop 3070 should be an easy 60FPS then, good times :)

Associate
So the next gen Consoles are basically getting 2070's? or similar equivalent? Doesn't that mean they'll be out of date literally before they come out with the 3000 series? and from what's been said they will trounce the 2000's
Of course they will be out of date ring Sony and Microsoft and tell them not to bother with the launch quick before they make a fool out of themselves.

Associate
Of course they will be out of date ring Sony and Microsoft and tell them not to bother with the launch quick before they make a fool out of themselves.

Ok I did it and the Guy at Sony sounded a bit down about it, I told them what you suggested and apparently they are closing Japan!!! WTF did you tell me to do that for FFS!

Soldato
I would like to know when this engine will be utilized properly... Unreal 3

A new castle flyby to fully take advantage of new hardware, properly. Still to this day I have no idea what the game story in Unreal was/is but damn it looked nice.

Wasnt Unreal 1 in development for about 7 years though? It will be some time before we see an Unreal 3, if ever.

Soldato
The water was awful, it was only brief of course but looked really bad, birds/bats the same.

The character while animation was good just took me out of it completely, as you say a different art style so that was probably it, expected something that fit a little better maybe

Honestly that was some excellent water with proper physics from what showed at least on screen that I saw. Same with birds and bats as well.

And yeah art style bad but tbh making realistic human with skin textures is probably the hardest thing to do graphically.

Soldato
Honestly that was some excellent water with proper physics from what showed at least on screen that I saw. Same with birds and bats as well.

And yeah art style bad but tbh making realistic human with skin textures is probably the hardest thing to do graphically.

Yeah. Couldn't help wondering about that. The landscape was lovely but the character's appearance , meh!

Man of Honour
I would like to know when this engine will be utilized properly... Unreal 3
It is not going to be publicly released in any form of usable demo or game until 2021 according to recent news:

https://adoredtv.com/no-the-playstation-5-will-not-put-your-pc-to-shame-ue5-explained/amp/

Having recenlty bought a 2070 S, I am not at all worried about the PS5 as it's not going to suddenly feel obsolete by a console. I will however get a PS5 just for TLoU2, and then sell it once complete :p

Depending on RTX 3000 series pricing, I may chop in the 2070 S and have a nice upgrade ready for Cyberpunk 2077 as well for that Ampere goodness. The rest of my system doesn't even need breathing on TBH as far as next gen gaming goes. 6700K still kicking strong.

Soldato
Even if I don't necessarily believe the validity of it, that's just beautiful.
UE5 tech demo on a RTX 2080 & 970 EVO Plus notebook is 1440p40
Epic China engineers’ interview, if you know Chinese you can confirm it by yourself.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1kK411W7fK

• 53:00, he said his notebook could run at 1440p 40fps+, optimization target is 60fps for next-gen.

• 2:08:00, SSD bandwidth (for the flying part) isn’t as that high as ppl said, not need a stricted spec SSD (decent SSD is ok).

• Someone at TGFCer forum said, the engineer just confirmed to him: RTX 2080 GPU notebook but forgot the exact SSD model, maybe 970 EVO Plus

This is turning out to quite the controversy.:p

Soldato
so which one is a video, the PS5 or PC version? and if so, where does the 30fps and 40fps numbers come from?

Just Tim Sweeney doing more stupid stuff, nothing to see here, move along

m52rrycu.dvk.jpg

Soldato
so which one is a video, the PS5 or PC version? and if so, where does the 30fps and 40fps numbers come from?

Just Tim Sweeney doing more stupid stuff, nothing to see here, move along
The 1440p/40 on a laptop was simply a lie.

Someone got information on the laptop used in the video. However, that laptop in the video was simply used to play the video of the tech demo. :D

Soldato
Why would Epic employees lie? Tim Sweeney needs to get our his whip and get them back into the party line!
I have no idea man. But I wouldn't be surprised to see another demo of it using Ampere though.

Epic's vice president of engineering, Nick Penwarden, touched on this point in a post-demo stream. "There are tens of billions of triangles in that scene, and we simply couldn't have them all in memory at once," he says, referring to a bunch of statues in the demo. "So what we ended up needing to do is streaming in triangles as the camera is moving throughout the environment. The IO capabilities of PlayStation 5 are one of the key hardware features that enable us to achieve that level of realism."
https://www.gamesradar.com/epics-un...-ps5-vision-that-sony-has-only-told-us-about/

“[The PS5] puts a vast amount of flash memory very, very close to the processor,” says Sweeney. “So much that it really fundamentally changes the trade-offs that games can make and stream in. And that’s absolutely critical to this kind of demo,” Sweeney explained.

“This is not just a whole lot of polygons and memory. It’s also a lot of polygons being loaded every frame as you walk around through the environment and this sort of detail you don’t see in the world would absolutely not be possible at any scale without these breakthroughs that Sony’s made.”
https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-ssd-breakthrough-beats-high-end-pc

After reading this I find it hard to believe that the demo would function properly on a laptop.

Last edited:
Soldato
Meh. At this point I'm convinced this whole demo situation is mostly a lot of fluff. I'm just gonna wait for more details, in particular as it relates to storage space requirements and how they are going to deal with that. It's all well and good to be able to auto-lod and stream 8k textures but how are you going to store them? The Hazel Engine dev was speculating the demo itself was likely 100+ GB, so how's that gonna work for a full game? Just not enough info atm. And as I was saying about detail, here's someone recreating a part of the demo in UE4 (pay attention to how much crisper and more detailed it actually is; 4K display required):

Just smoke & mirrors, as I was saying, let the B.S. freely flow from the marketers.

Back
Top Bottom