'Smug' parent friends

Soldato
As a parent of a 2 year old, I can tell you, the only time I get to play games is when my kid is asleep, so either for 2 hours during the day or past 8pm and thats only IF everything like cleaning the house, washing up etc... is done

Soldato
As a parent of a 2 year old, I can tell you, the only time I get to play games is when my kid is asleep, so either for 2 hours during the day or past 8pm and thats only IF everything like cleaning the house, washing up etc... is done
Agreed! Although I am guilty of slipping the odd hour in here and there if the kids are watching TV...

Soldato
Something which has really irritated me lately is a particular set of friends, one couple actually, who are extremely smug about their parenting, I can list some points out that may help with the stereotype;

1) One is a breastfeeding warrior, the type that if you don't breastfeed, you are wrong, and breastfeeds til the kids are about 3, sometimes longer (!)
2) The other, is a dad who does the minimum, you know the type, walks in from work, customary 5 minute sit with the kids, before having dinner served, then the kids taken upstairs by the partner, and put to bed, to which they then watch marathon amounts of TV / Netflix etc etc rinse and repeat daily.

Obviously each to their own, but when they tell you you are 'under the thumb' when you question how they manage to play on their consoles during the day in a weekend with 2 young children around, or how they manage to watch so much tv, and they simply say ' we have a schedule, kids do what they are told' whilst in principle it's a great idea... How many parents can honestly say that would work? Whilst their kids are still young (1 + 5) and both girls (I have boys, maybe they are harder!)I must admit I am really looking forward to when his children decide to not just follow the 'schedule' and raise havoc so I can say 'told you so'

Worse still, said male parent cheated on the other half when the baby was only a few months old for several months :o
I think you need to get over yourself and stop getting dragged into something that isn't any of your business to be frank.

Soldato
My wife tried to breastfeed both our kids, but simply couldn't produce enough milk. We ended up bottle feeding both.

The pressure from the NHS breastapo was unbearable. They would talk down to us forcefully about "breast is best" and had her in tears a few time.

With our second we just decided enough was enough and would shut anyone down quite rudely, nurse or friend, who tried to lecture us on how we were committing a mortal sin with formula. Screw those people... they can take a running jump.

This must be regional and different across various trusts as we were similar to you with regards the feeding but Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust. were really really supportive, they obviously encouraged breastfeeding but there was absolutely no or pressure or guilt when it still failed, they were very supportive.

Soldato
Agreed! Although I am guilty of slipping the odd hour in here and there if the kids are watching TV...
We've all been there. More annoying is when you think you can get a cheeky game in and one of the kids notices:p. My son quite likes games and is surprisingly good at them for a 3 year old. I think my wife breast fed till they were 2ish, one of the reasons was my mrs isn't exactly slim and thought it would help more but the main reason was the whole antibody thing (whether theres truth to it or not im not sure but both kids are rarely ill), and obviously breastmilk is free:D.

Transmission breaker
Don
Routines are great!

Kids need a routine, it helps them feel secure, and makes things a lot more simple for all involved, especially when they are young. Helps keep you same too!

If people have found a balance that works for them, you won't change it, so just smile and nod, and do your own thing. Why worry?

Soldato
That must be a mothers worst nightmare. Partner cheating when after the birth of a baby, every time you look at that baby you will be reminded of that act. I know of a couple of mothers it has happened to and i think it takes incredible courage to carry on normally.

Soldato

Mine are 6, 6 and 9 and I've trained them to clean after themselves in the last 3/4 months which has helped a lot, before that they were a whirlwind of mess. Once they're old enough it's definitely worth instilling early.

Soldato
Obviously each to their own, but when they tell you you are 'under the thumb' when you question how they manage to play on their consoles during the day in a weekend with 2 young children around
They play on consoles.
Tell them to go **** themselves and boot them out of your life. /thread.
#PCMasterRace

The pressure from the NHS breastapo was unbearable. They would talk down to us forcefully about "breast is best" and had her in tears a few time.
Well, breast is best. Massively so. That's partly why there's so much pressure.
However, it's definitely not easy and often requires a lot of persistence, but many mothers also give up too easily, which is the other reason there's so much pressure. Remember the Breastapo will be geared up for the absolute lowest common denominator in this... which can be very low, incidentally. While visiting in the recovery ward, I watched over a 2-day-old girl a few times while her freshly evacuated mother went outside for a fag!!

My wife took ages to get her latching right and it was never the easiest thing for her to do. There were many tears and it's only her sheer stubbornness that saw her succeed. Out of 9 NCT couples, only two of us actually took to breastfeeding for any length of time. Most of the kids were purely bottle-fed within weeks... and you can tell which ones they all were, because they're proper little chubbies!
We also know of one mum who gave up her £55k pa job to become a full-time volunteer breastfeeding consultant, because that many women struggle with it.

For any struggling mums out there, I'm told watching The Letdown is well worth your time - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Letdown

Soldato
No one said it wasn't.
I didn't say they did. I'm just explaining that some nurses kinda have to get on their high horse because they're often dealing with complete morons, of the flat-Earth anti-vax flavour.

Everyone has their reason whether they do it or not, I wonder how many of those preaching this stuff have health problems of their own, obesity, diabetes, general weight, smoking etc. I bet many fall into this category but online people take the moral high ground.
And again, the most common reasons are none of the above, but simply a lack of perseverence.
Yes there are many valid reasons for not doing it. My wife has two of them, but she still gave it her all and was fortunate enough to succeed in spite of her issues. Same with the other feeding mother in our group. It only seemed to be the perfectly healthy ones who just gave up and decided bottles were easier.

Soldato
And again, the most common reasons are none of the above, but simply a lack of perseverence.

I wasn't relating it to breastfeeding at all :o

I'm just explaining that some nurses kinda have to get on their high horse because they're often dealing with complete morons, of the flat-Earth anti-vax flavour.

We're lucky to have you here.

Soldato
In a thread that does specifically relate it to breastfeeding, you didn't specify otherwise. :rolleyes:

"I wonder how many of those preaching this stuff have health problems of their own" isn't obvious? Gee whiz

No no, I'm sure you know best.....

Hopefully you understand irony and can read the thread title before going over your earlier post :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom