Alternatives to a chainsaw

Soldato
I got a fairly large tree that along with some ropes, a ladder and some manpower I am considering to cut it down

it is my tree but it blocks sunlight in the evenings

I am terrified of using a chainsaw
I never wish to use one, having watched many horror movies and seen how horrific they are

i got a hedge trimmer and I usually use a handsaw but what alternative to a chainsaw could I use to cut this tree down?

Soldato
OP
Yep possibly someone else

depends how much they ask for
What is a realistic charge?

Tree is probably about 5-8 metres high. Number of branches and thick barks

Associate
Yep possibly someone else

depends how much they ask for
What is a realistic charge?

Tree is probably about 5-8 metres high. Number of branches and thick barks

Cannot answer that. Just know I have used local handy man before for jobs i really did not want to do (nasty and dirty stuff) and found the prices really reasonable.

Soldato
Get several quotes from local arborists- send them 2-3 photos from different angles.

It sounds like someone would have to climb up to limb and top it out before chunking it out in place as I doubt you have the space just to drop it.

Not only are chainsaws lethal if you don’t know how to use one, but a decent one plus all the safety gear is going to cost more than hiring an arborist.

Removing an 8 metre pine tree from our old London garden cost £600 3-4 years ago. That was for complete removal to ground level and disposal of all wood and debris.

Took them 3 hours with a huge wood chipper parked outside the house which made an a fair racket.

Associate
Define large? You could use a reciprocating saw if it's not too thick. I used a 30cm long blade to cut up some sizeable logs last year. You can buy cheap chainsaws and I gather the electric ones are a little safer, however the PPE needed will cost about the same again if not more than the chainsaw and I wouldn't advise skimping on that.

Budget, but man option would be a big bow saw. Would also be cheap too.

Dave

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
You’d be surprised at how good a bow saw is. A sharp bow saw goes through branches incredibly quickly, i have taken down a lot of large leylandii (sp?) with a bow saw.

did it this way for the same reasons, no way was I going to use a chainsaw up a ladder.

Caporegime
You’d be surprised at how good a bow saw is. A sharp bow saw goes through branches incredibly quickly, i have taken down a lot of large leylandii (sp?) with a bow saw.

did it this way for the same reasons, no way was I going to use a chainsaw up a ladder.

Use a pole saw.

Soldato
I got a fairly large tree that along with some ropes, a ladder and some manpower I am considering to cut it down

I never wish to use one, having watched many horror movies and seen how horrific they are

i got a hedge trimmer and I usually use a handsaw but what alternative to a chainsaw could I use to cut this tree down?

Another vote for pole saw. Just a small chainsaw on a stick, so you're a good 4-6 feet away from the pointy end. I'd still recommend a hard hat and some eye protection.

TBH, if the tree is big, you won't be able to get high enough without some kind of work platform, and you can't safely use a pole saw up a ladder. At that point you have to suck it up and pay a professional to come in and sort it. The advantage is not only is it less risk because you're not using dangerous tools you are not familiar with, they will get it all done and cleared in a minimum amount of time and not cost a lot more than buying all the stuff you'd need anyway.

Caporegime

Drill a hole into the main part of the tree. Pour undiluted weed killer into the hole.

The tree will die 2-3 weeks later. Dead means no leaves which block the majority of the sunlight.

Over time branches will weaken and break off one by one.

Basically the tree will take care of itself after you kill it.

Soldato
Drill a hole into the main part of the tree. Pour undiluted weed killer into the hole.

The tree will die 2-3 weeks later. Dead means no leaves which block the majority of the sunlight.

Over time branches will weaken and break off one by one.

Basically the tree will take care of itself after you kill it.

Don't do this, you've got no idea where a dead tree will fall. Branches that fall off can and do kill people. In fact, once a large tree is dead, you're pretty much obliged to get some tree surgeons in to cut it down as it will be unsafe, and and you will be sued for any damage it causes.

We had a tree on our street fall at the beginning of last year. It wasn't massive, but a couple of feet either way and it would have taken out cars, fences, and if it had been a bit taller, would have gone through my neighbours living room. And this was a tree the council had checked and declared was okay.

My sister has a large garden, and at the beginning of last summer I pointed out a tree that was dead, and they had to have it professionally taken down just because it was hanging there like a sword of Damocles waiting to fall down, and who knows where it would have gone or what damage it would have caused.

Soldato
OP
Yes I think it is doable

the one central bark is massive that one is going to be difficult
The rest look okay

one thing I just realised none mentioned using a wooden drill bit etc
Not sure if holes would go through easily in trees though lol

Caporegime
Yes I think it is doable

the one central bark is massive that one is going to be difficult
The rest look okay

one thing I just realised none mentioned using a wooden drill bit etc
Not sure if holes would go through easily in trees though lol

I said it. I said drill a hole. And yes they go through trees fine they are just wood after all. So long as your drill is decent it's easy.

Back
Top Bottom