Simple-But mindboggling too (Google gear train)

Soldato
Just come across this.

The first gear takes about 3.5 seconds to turn. The second gear takes about 35 seconds, or 3.5x10^1. The fifth wheel will take around ten hours to turn once. In a month, the seventh wheel will have almost one rotation. The eighth will take a little over a year. If you watch this machine from the time you are born until the time you die, you will probably live to see the tenth gear make most of one rotation. The eleventh will take over a millennium to turn, the twelfth considerably longer than all of recorded history, and the fourteenth wheel would take about as long as humans have existed. In the time since the dinosaurs went extinct, the sixteenth wheel would turn a little more than half way. Earth's existence has been long enough to get the eighteenth wheel half way around, and in the entire history of the known universe the twentieth gear would move by just over one tooth.

:cool:

Soldato
The hilarity is that they think the motor will last long enough to make that happen. Gearing works in reverse too, so the reversed effect of the last gear trying to turn (or probably even the 10th gear) will stop the motor.

Caporegime
I wanna see the same thing but in reverse.

you turn one cog like a milimetre and the cog at the far end turns at the speed of light, breaks physics, creates a black hole and before you know it someones posted a queen wasps nest through the letter box in your atic, I know because my dad kills them for a living.

how much force would it take to turn the the final cog?

Soldato

you turn one cog like a milimetre and the cog at the far end turns at the speed of light, breaks physics, creates a black hole and before you know it someones posted a queen wasps nest through the letter box in your atic, I know because my dad kills them for a living.

Well meme’d, my dude!

Caporegime
So come back to youtube in a couple billion x10^1000 years to see the short sped up version ?

Also why isn't this a live stream ?

Also why ?
because watching pitch fall is more exciting(there is actually a live stream of this)

Here's 3 years ofd that condensed in to less than a minute.

the sheer exhilaration and excitement can not be contained

Soldato

:p

Caporegime
lame but atleast it seems I was right about it going faster than the speed of light if there was enough energy in the universe to turn it and it didn't break or wear out first

Soldato
I was just about to post that Lego one - The reduction rate is huge -how many zeros has that got. I just tried to count them and think it's around 50 - my eyes went funny after a bit.:)

Soldato
I was just about to post that Lego one - The reduction rate is huge -how many zeros has that got. I just tried to count them and think it's around 50 - my eyes went funny after a bit.:)

Erm.... it’s just over 1 googol. That’s where the idea for the name comes from :p

Soldato

There's a video on youtube of him trying to turn the last cog. The video flashes white, and a gucci belt appears on his table.

Back
Top Bottom