Budget Full Frame

Soldato
I have a Canon 60D and Sony a6000 both with kit lens, 50mm and a cheap 70-300 on the Canon. Both budget setups.

I use 50mm 90% of the time on both. I always end up drawn to the subject separation, bokeh and image quality. I take family shots and walk around type shots of anything I think looks interesting. Low light photos and macro interest me too.

I miss the front control dial when I use the a6000, a lot. But I prefer the way the a6000 focuses, the size and the image quality with the 50mm to the point I don't use the 60D anymore.

What do you think to trading up both to a Sony A7. I've found a second hand one with a kit lens and 50mm for £630 which is a similar setup to my current two. I'm thinking it will handle more like the Canon (having a front control dial) and focus similar to the a6000? I would get even more DoF control which I love. I'd lose the very good 50mm OSS lens on the a6000.

Would you make the switch?

Soldato
Remember that to match the field of view of a 50mm on your A6000 you'll need 75mm on the A7. The nearest to 75mm I know of is the Sigma 70mm f2.8 and after that you're looking at 85mm f1.8, both of which will bump your total price quite a bit.

Having owned the first three A7r models, I'd say try to stretch for an A7 II as the ergonomics are much better than on the original version.

Soldato
I've had the A7 for years now now, it's stopped my upgradeitis, all the camera I'll ever need. Get the 24-240 OSS and a fast prime (I use manual leica M mount with an adapter), and you've got all the camera an amateur will ever need.

Associate
I did the same in 2018, I sold a D7000 and 6 lenses and bought an A7 (original) with the 28-70 kit lens. I did this when they were doing the cashback so I got £150 cashback and I also sold the kit lens for about £130. I then bought the 24-70 f4 thinking it would be the only lens I needed, however it's pretty soft and not any better than the kit lens. I now have a 24-105 f4 which has OSS (as the original A7 has no IBIS) which I use most of the time. I also have a Samyang 50mm f1.4 AF which is my fast prime. That's all I have and covers everything I need. I still think the original A7 is a great camera for photography (I never shoot video) and I'm really pleased with my move away from Nikon. Now I have less stuff I use the camera more than I ever have as I would regularly not bother taking out my DSLR and a bag of lenses.

If you don't shoot video, don't need the IBIS (the 28-70 kit lens has OSS) and don't shoot sports photography (the AF isn't the fastest for stuff like that) I think the A7 is perfect. If you can find a few extra pounds to get the A7ii that would give you the IBIS, but the jump in price the the A7iii was too much for me. Sony's are also great for adapting old lenses to, though after buying a few lenses and adaptors I sold them all as I realised I my GAS was starting again and having lots of lenses was something I was trying to avoid! If that's your thing you can get lenses from a few pounds upwards from car boot sales, charity shops, ebay (less so) and then get cheap adaptors to mount them and get some decent results.

Dave

Caporegime
Just throwing another option out there on the Nikon side, the D750 can be acquired for £400-450 and the Nikon 85mm f/1.8 for £250-275 which is an excellent lens.

Back
Top Bottom