What 'adult' things can you not do but maybe should be able to?

Soldato
If I'm passing a fancy ice cream parlour(?) in summer, I can never resist ordering the most splendidly fabulous ice cream on the menu, with all the trimmings.

Associate
I remember we would be out driving somewhere and my dad would suddenly spot some lovely place to pull in and we would enjoy a lovely view or something for a while and then pootle on.
I cannot do this. I will certainly spot some lovely view but by the time I see it its already 20 meters behind me and I've missed the turn off. And I've not even got the excuse of being some boy racer :(

I'm rubbish at DIY (although I am trying more now) and cant fix cars. I did manage to change my car battery the other day though lol. Actually I have changed a head light too! So lets just say crap at the mechanical bits then...

Caporegime
Can’t swim, never learnt. Can’t do up a bow tie. Haven’t got a clue how to use a washing machine.
Same here, although I was taught how to swim but as a kid growing up I was absolutely terrified of water especially if I can’t touch the bottom. As long as I can stand up in water I’m good. I can swim a bit but embarrassingly it’s only in shallow water :/.
I’ve been meaning to get proper lessons but honestly I’d probably freak out once I get into deep water.

Soldato
Can’t swim, never learnt. Can’t do up a bow tie. Haven’t got a clue how to use a washing machine.

I can understand the other two, although I think it’s sensible to learn to swim. I think it’s a skill that is really difficult if you hadn’t learned as child.

But I don’t get how you can’t operate a washing machine. I guess maybe you haven’t needed to...I just worked it out when I left home. Clothes in, detergent in, fabric softener in, choose the setting most appropriate to what you’re washing, temperature off the clothes or maybe 30 for colours, 50 whites, turn it on.

Soldato
Earning more money. People seem to find that miraculously easy, where as I find it hard to get out of bed. Don't get me wrong, I get by, drive a nice car, live in a nice house, relatively debt free mortgage aside, but...

I have done all sorts of things. Like people say they have no driving licence but can drive, I can fly planes. I can play guitars, I can cook, I can pretty much do anything I turn my attention to... and do it well with seemingly very little effort. I just find the accumulation of money very tedious.

Permabanned
i'll do most things from painting to electrics can't spell but can cook ...
it's how you apply yourself oh i can also weld ..
just give everything a try .. if ya don't do it try again ... but hey i'm 53 and don't like to spend money ... thing i won't do is gas ... leave that for those with the certificate

Soldato
If I'm passing a fancy ice cream parlour(?) in summer, I can never resist ordering the most splendidly fabulous ice cream on the menu, with all the trimmings.

I remember being on a stag do in Malta, about 2AM on our way back to the hotel... we discovered an ice cream parlor that was, for some reason still open. Ferrero rocher gelato is highly recommended, although not after 12 pints.

Soldato
My dad is a real hands on type of guy, he's 70 years old but just as capable as a 30 year old of doing most things. He used to be an electrician so he's handy with all manor of tools and great at DIY. Growing up I never really got the chance to "have a go myself" because my dad was just so good at building and fixing stuff, he always just got on with it, and my role was basically handing him tools or holding pieces of wood while he was working on them.

I'm mid 30's now, own my own place, got a wife and kid and I'm finally started to get back into wood working and general DIY and fixing stuff, luckily because of my interest in PC's and gaming, I'm pretty good at plumbing (my pc has been water cooled for years) however, now I've got my own tools and my own shed to be able to start learning on my own. I built my first planter from pallet wood, after watching a few youtube videos, I bought myself a nailgun (seriously, who uses a hammer anymore), it wasn't squared up and it wasn't great looking, but it was a nice step in the right direction, my next project is to build a lean to shed, as we've got tons of space down the side of the house and its just empty at the moment. I've got the wood for the roof and a table saw, so I just need a few days off work when everything goes back to normal and I'm golden

Soldato
I think the only thing would be Home DIY, as I've never owned a home. I've always been in some form of supplied or rented accommodation, neither type of which allow you to modify the accommodation, so the chance has never arisen. I don't think I'd be bad at it, I'm handy with tools on my various cars so it'd just be learning the "hmmm, how'd you do this" of DIY (build/repair, convert lofts, re-wiring etc).

Man of Honour
Don't have a driving license, and I'm a woeful swimmer.

I've actually driven multiple vehicles, and if you chucked me in the middle of a pool I wouldn't struggle to get out, I've just never really formally learnt to do either.

Back
Top Bottom